cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet ip profile different from BT wholesale

mjod1952
Dabbler

Plusnet ip profile different from BT wholesale

I've been consistently worried that I'm not getting the speeds I'm paying for. Every time I run a speed check it maxes out at around 45MBpS. I have raised a fault with Plusnet, but then decided to do more checks.

My PN estimated lines speed is as follows:

Telephone number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX Phone exchange: XXXXXXXXXXXXX Estimated line speed: 80Mb (This may vary between 69.8Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2016-07-30 19:56:48 Current line speed: 78 Mb

What I'm seeing when I run the BTW performance test is:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 45.57 Mbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 33.16 Mbps-47.37 Mbps .

Additional Information: IP Profile for your line is - 47.37 Mbps

It seems I'm buying one thing from Plusnet but BTW are supplying them with something cheaper. Either that or am I badly misunderstanding something?

Mike
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Plusnet ip profile different from BT wholesale

What does this say for your expected speeds http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Estimates:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 69.8 20 20 -- Available -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 73.9 40 20 11.2 -- Available -- --

Line test:

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 48.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps

RADIUS:

Summary:

Looking from the estimates your line is connected at a lower rate than expected. However there are bursts of disconnections on your line which may be the caused.
Is there any noise on your phone line? Crackling/hissing/popping etc
Are you plugged in to the master socket? Can you describe how it's plugged in (is there a filter or is it a filtered faceplate etc)
If you're in the master socket, and there's no noise on the phone line I'd advise getting a fault reported at https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mjod1952
Dabbler

Yes it is the master socket (BT Openreach Mk3 no less) and was only installed a year ago.  The line doesn't appear noisy.  I have reported a fault, but no response so far, so i thought I'd see if anyone had anything interesting to say here!  At least I know I'm not going mad.

Thanks

Mike
Chris
Legend

I've reported the fault through but as the testing isn't showing an obvious issue, it's likely to need an engineer visit. I'll put the detail we need on the fault ticket shortly.

When you've replied to the ticket give me a nudge on here and I'll make sure it gets booked in.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mjod1952
Dabbler

Hi - I replied to the ticket, so here's the nudge you requested.

Mike
Chris
Legend

I've booked in Tuesday 23rd AM, unfortunately no slots were available this week.

mjod1952
Dabbler

No show from BT engineers this morning and no calls from them either.  How do BT survive with this level of service?

Mike
mjod1952
Dabbler

11:02 and no contact from BT OpenReach yet... I'm not optimistic that they will redeem themselves by showing up.  This seems likely to be the second failure to attend.  I resent their threats to charge me £50.00 if the call out is deemed unnecessary when they clearly are a bunch of lazy half-wits who don't give a toss about customer service.

Mike
mjod1952
Dabbler

Definite no show.  Hopeless

Mike
mjod1952
Dabbler

BT OR engineer came this morning.  He appeared unaware that the visit was booked for yesterday.  He appeared knowledgeable and has so far determined that the problem lies either in the cabinet or in the cable between there and my street.  He ran out of time and will be back Sunday early.

Mike
mjod1952
Dabbler

No engineer called but line speed has increased to 52Mbps. See below:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
52.3 Mbps

0 Mbps 54.36 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 52.3 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 38.05 Mbps-54.36 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 54.36 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
16.18 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.18Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

The engineer did say that the minimal acceptable result would be 52Mbps. This looks a bit fishy to me! Is it just the line stabilising? I can't say I'm happy with a profile maximum of 54.36 when I'm paying for much higher and I am close to the cabinet. is this what's known as DLM?

Mike
mjod1952
Dabbler

Just heard back from the Support Team.  It seems that I have been assigned a different port (if that's the correct term) in the cabinet.  It appears that there aren't any empty ports there and it will stay that way for a while.  The connection does seem quicker, with no so many hangs.  The speed increase is only about 3Mps over what I had before, but it feels better.  

It does seem that BTOR are behind the curve in meeting demand and that is out of PN's control.  It does make you wonder why BTOR still have a monopoly though.

Mike
mjod1952
Dabbler

Not great news I'm afraid. A rather grumpy engineer who seemed to think I was making a fuss about nothing. I told him that I expect something that resembles what I'm paid for. He went off and dis a few testes. He's come back now to say that the signal is 80megs at the cabinet so it's the link between there and the house. He said its as good as I can expect and if I'm not happy to downgrade my contract. Not great experience I'm afraid and I expect better than that. If you are selling up to 80 megs and I'm only getting around 50 that is just not good enough. He said that service providers don't understand and therefore over-promise on what they can supply.

I'm guessing that that's off message and that really he means BTOR don't want to invest to provide the service they pretend to supply.

Mike
mjod1952
Dabbler

Even worse i now se that Plusnet have now closed my query without a response.  What's that about?

Mike