Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet hub one keeps dropping out

FIXED
WP1
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Plusnet hub one keeps dropping out

I have changed wifi channels after using wifi analyser and i have factory reset my tablet which is suffering the most from drops. I had wondered if it was my google nexus tablet and have tried all sorts, forgetting network aeroplane mode etc but nothing has done it. My log shows the disconnects happening continuously. But also occasionally on my mobile and google mini nest speakers..have also wondered if they are the problem as they are recent. plusnet tech support said all looks ok their end but not if they look at the log for my nexus! Shows as android. I don't have any 5ghz devices according to plusnet log so have left that to find channrl on auto. Please help! I think i've tried everything. Interesting thing is my extension netgear provides more stable connection for the nexus when further away than hub one but still does drop sometimes. Hope you can help! Sorry this is so long.
7 REPLIES 7
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Plusnet hub one keeps dropping out

Hi @WP1, I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues.

The drops that are occurring sounds like these are wireless as we are seeing a stable connection with no drops for the last 8 & a half days.

If you have got any devices that are connected by (or you can connect by) Ethernet cable, I would advise doing so as to rule out underlying issues.

WiFi is prone to interference, this can come from other Wireless/ Electrical equipment that are in the vicinity. Usually changing the channel can help with this if you move to a channel with less interference.

Did the issues occur prior to having the extender connected? Have you noticed that having a particular device connected causes other devices to disconnect?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
WP1
Hooked

Dear Lauren

Thanks so much for trying to help me.

Having tried so many things I then changed my wireless channel but that hasn't done the trick. I do have a question about channels - are we ok to change to 13 or 14 as well? They appear in the wifi analyser app as the best often where I am.

But back to my connection disappearing, it is primarily on my tablet which is a google nexus, I think it doesn't like my living room. It will continuously say there is no internet. Do you have any idea what I can do? I have a chromecast which is recent so it could be that or it could be a google mini nest speaker which is in my kitchen.

It is very frustrating, but obviously not a plusnet issue. If anyone has any experience of this please share!

Thank you

Winnie

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

The channels above 11 aren't functional, they're only for use in certain countries due to differing laws relating to the use of different radio frequencies. Usually, going with the best available channel (i.e free from overlap from other signals) is best to go for, the channel graph is usually the easiest way to discern that. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
WP1
Hooked

HI Adam

Thanks very much for that, I didn't know, well so far on channel 5. But as far as I can tell I have non wifi interference but I don't know how to resolve it. Do you know why my wifi extension (via netgear) would work a little better than the router although further away than where I am sat with my tablet? 

I am in an apartment and don't know whether it is my neighbour's wifi that is doing it. I have used wifi analyser to try to get the least crowded channel and so I went for 5. 

What else do you recommend please?

Thanks so much

Winnie

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@WP1 

Just because your Hub one has not connected to a 5 GHz band doesn't necessarily mean that your devices do not have this capability.

Try separating the bands, see  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

then try each in turn on devices to see if they are supported and/if it helps.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

WP1
Hooked

Fix

Dear Baldrick1

Thanks, am giving it a go!

Fingers crossed 🙂

WP1

WP1
Hooked

Dear Baldrick1
What a genius..more of a Blackadder 🙂
Think that did it, thanks so very very much.
WP