Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet hub connection issue

inzyman
Dabbler

Plusnet hub connection issue

Hi everyone.

I have had fibre broadband with the Plusnet Hub One for a few months and it has had connection issues from the start.  The wifi connection is good in the room where the hub is, but in every other room it is terrible.  I have tried all the standard fixes, keep away from electronic equipment etc, but still no joy.  The connection was actually better with my old sky standard broadband.  I have boosters that I used with Sky and they seem to connect to the hub but it doesn't help.

I did a live chat with Plusnet and they advised that I might try connecting an additional modem to the router.  I did a second live chat to ask what kind I should get and they said it was possible.

I am now really confused and I would really appreciate any help and advice you can give.

Thanks.

23 REPLIES 23
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Plusnet hub connection issue

Welcome to the forum.

Does the standard fixes include separating the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840? If so have you tried both bands? Connecting an additional router is a total non starter unless you set the router up as a wireless access point (WAP), if you don't have a router that can be set up in this manner then you might as well stick with your boosters or buy a WAP.

You say that the Sky boosters do not help. Have you tried factory resetting them before pairing them.with your Hub One?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

inzyman
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick.

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I have tried the 2 different bands but no joy.

I am not sure if my router can be set up as a WAP and I'm guessing that was the confusion when chatting to Plusnet.

I don't think I did a factory reset on the boosters before connecting them so I will give that a try.

Cheers.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, have you tried using an app like "WiFi Analyzer" to find the best channel to set the router to? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
inzyman
Dabbler

Hi there.

No I haven't but I have tried the 2 channels that are available and neither works that well.  Can you set perimeters beyond that? 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @inzyman

I don't think you can set any other parameters bar change the channel.

I've sent you a replacement router to try out, which should arrive early next week.

Let us know how it goes once you receive it and set it up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
inzyman
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf.

Thanks for your assistance.  I will try the new router and let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Thanks @inzyman

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
inzyman
Dabbler

Hi all.

I recieved my new Plusnet router but it seems to be worse than my last one.  I'm really starting to get frustrated as the kids are off school and they can't play their online games.  I spoke to Plusnet and they suggested getting a Netgear or TPLink router as the plusnet routers may not be the best for wireless connectivity.  These cost a lot of money so would it not be better to change to a company that supplies a better router?

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Thanks.

Baldrick1

Did you try the Wifi Analyser app? With this you can check which channels your neighbours are using and select the quietest manually in the router advanced wifi settings. Check both at the router location and where you use your wireless devices. You can also see how strong a signal you get at these locations.

Many or us use a BT Smarthub 6 bought off Ebay for £20-30 as they have better wifi performance that the Plusnet offering. Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85... Whether or not it will solve your problem is another question that can't be answered. The only certain way to make sure you get the best possible performance in another part of your house is for you to run an Ethernet cable to the required location and if necessary attach it to a Wireless Access Point (WAP).

Powerline units can also be used but whether they work well depends on your mains wiring layout.

Moderator and Customer

inzyman
Dabbler

Thanks for the info Baldrick.

I have decided to switch to Virgin to give them a go as they don't use a phone line so I can cancel my line rental and it costs just £1 more than I am paying for Plusnet.  I am still in contract so they are asking for £90 cancellation fee, which I am not happy about but I can't stand this wireless speed any more.

Cheers.

Baldrick1

Good luck, I hope that the Virgin router wireless performance is better.

Moderator and Customer

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you're still having issues and are leaving.

I'm afraid that we can't waive cancellation fees in this instance as we do state in our terms and conditions here that we can't gurantee wireless performance as shown below

4. Quality of service

4.1. We aim to provide a continuous, high-quality service, but we can't be responsible for:

4.1.1. slow speeds due to external factors (except as set out in paragraph 5 of our standard terms);

4.1.2. loss of service due to circumstances beyond our control, where we've taken reasonable steps to prevent this; or

4.1.3. ensuring equipment we provide allows you to get a wireless signal everywhere within your home or delivers the speeds possible over a wired connection wirelessly.

Can you confirm if you've tried changing the wireless channel and desyncing the wireless bands as shown here?
?

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
inzyman
Dabbler

Hi Mathew.

I have tried changing channels and not syncing with 2.4 ghz but no change.  I have signed up with virgin but I have a cooling off period so if you want to send an engineer to look at the problem and potentially fix it then I would be happy to cancel my Virgin subscription.

Thanks.

Baldrick1

From your posts I assume that you were previously with Sky and needed to use some form of boosters. You never said that you had got those working again.

Seeing that you needed boosters with Sky and you cannot get a decent signal with just a Hub One have you considered that a Virgin Hub might also fail to do the job?

I fear that Plusnet do not send out engineers to fix wireless problems. The question therefore has to be whether you wish to work with fellow forum members to solve your problem or try your luck with VM.

Moderator and Customer