cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet hub connection issue

inzyman
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet hub connection issue

I am willing to try Baldrick and I am greatful for any help you and the other forum members can provide.  

The sky booster did connect at one point but I am now pressing WPS on both devices but it doesn't seem to connect.  When it did connect it didn't actually help.

Would you suggest trying another router.  If I were to go for another router, what would you suggest.

Thanks.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm afraid that we cannot send engineers out for wireless issues only issues with the physical line.

Unfortunately we can't assist you with the setup of Wi-Fi boosters but other community users may be able to help

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

As I posted earlier if you wanted to try another router I would go for a BT Smarthub 6 but there’s no guarantee it would help you. To solve the problem once and for all you ideally need to run an Ethernet cable between the router and your upstairs location  I have run cable through my house by various routes to keep it hidden. It also depends on your DIY skills. Having run the cable you can fit a Wireless Access Point (WAP) on the end. You just need to look carefully to see where they can run.

If you find that too daunting then you could try a pair of Powerline units. These conduct the Ethernet signal over your mains wiring. If you get a pair with a wireless remote unit then this could do the trick. The snag with these is that they are dependant on your mains wiring. I have done tests with these in different configurations and keep intending to write up my findings.

The last option is to persist with wireless. Try using a WiFi sniffer app, I use WiFi Analyser on an Android phone. With this you can see both your and your neighbours’ transmissions along with the field strength, Check both at the router location and where you use your devices. With this information you can make sure that you use the best band and channel. You can then use this information to find the best site for a booster. Either get your Sky booster to work again or try a different one. Can you point to a type number or manual for this? If you look at it can you find any way to factory reset it by pushing a paper clip or similar into a reset hole?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

inzyman
Dabbler

Thanks for the info Baldrick.

I am registered blind so doing wiring isn't my strong suit, but if you think this will be the best solution then I will ask for some help from a friend.  Is there any model of WAP you can recommend?

Thanks.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @inzyman, would you be able to advise what firmware your router is currently running please. This can be found at the bottom of the page when accessing the router via a web browser at 192.168.1.254

While we may not be able to do more to resolve wireless problems if it does come down to that being the cause, in regards to being registered blind, would you be able to fill out this additional support form on your account so we can log this on your account: https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=additionalsupport

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
inzyman
Dabbler

Hi Harry.

THe firmware version is 4.7.5.1.83.8.259.

I will fill out the additional information form.

Thanks.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@HarryB

Are you suggesting that a firmware update could solve this wireless problem? If so I will hold fire until this is tried out.

@HarryB wrote:

While we may not be able to do more to resolve wireless problems if it does come down to that being the cause,

If wireless performance is OK next to the router but not upstairs then what else could be responsible, apart from flaky wireless related firmware reducing the transmitted power level of course?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Thanks @inzyman

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@HarryB

Are you suggesting that a firmware update could solve this wireless problem? If so I will hold fire until this is tried out.

As it stands, I'm going to raise it through the same form as https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Wifi-Issues/m-p/1597666#M9048 and https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Wi-Fi-repeatedly-dropping-unavailable-loosing-password...

Might be worth holding off on the test socket checks for now if doing that will be problematic for you and we'll see if anything can be done via the firmware route for you first.

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@HarryB wrote:

While we may not be able to do more to resolve wireless problems if it does come down to that being the cause,

If wireless performance is OK next to the router but not upstairs then what else could be responsible, apart from flaky wireless related firmware reducing the transmitted power level of course?

I agree with this, but that quote went on to request inzyman filled out the additional support form as with things like that being logged on the account in advance, it can be beneficial and is better to have it logged now and not need it than need it in future on have to spend the time then logging it.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
inzyman
Dabbler

Cheers guys.  Will wait for further instructions.