Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet hub & DNS issues

jan
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Plusnet hub & DNS issues

Hello,
I am really struggling to get any work done at home today as this afternoon websites are taking forever to load, some sites are completely unavailable, but they are fine over my phones 4g network. TBB speedtest gives normal 70(ish)mbps results - speedtest.net is unreachable though.
So I thought I would change my DNS to google or openDNS to see if that fixes it, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change it?  How can test or resolve DNS issues if I can't even modify the DNS servers on the router?  I've lost several hours of work this afternoon trying to sort this out. Sad
Jan
10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Plusnet hub & DNS issues

you can't change the DNS settings on the hub one, however you can always set the DNS locally on your PC to use different ones.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jan
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Really?  What a pile of .....
but I've got 8 computers alone, let alone the phones, consoles and smart TVs!
Anyone know why it can't be changed?
BenSwansea

Need to be able to change the DNS as well on my Hub One Sad

grayerbeard
Dabbler

You only need a Modem not a Modem Router if the aim is just to have control over the DNS. (with a cost saving of around £100)   For example I am going to try the NETGEAR DM200 ADSL2+/VDSL Modem @ £28.38 Plus VAT plus delivery.   Then I will  connect the Plusnet Hub One to the Netgear modem.   At the moment I keep getting intermittent connections where the fixed (cant change) plusnet DNS server is not responding. On my Laptop I can set the DNS to (say) Googles 8.8.8.8 and its fine. With other devices changing the DNS is either impossible or much too difficult.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@grayerbeard wrote:

You only need a Modem not a Modem Router if the aim is just to have control over the DNS.

This is completely wrong. DNS is a function of the router, not the modem.

grayerbeard
Dabbler

Maybe there are simple modems without any such settings but a modern DSL modem certainly allows for a wide range of settings such as DNS and for use of DHCP to be on or off on input and output.

It is true that a router sets the DNS server that is seen by the devices that are connected to it.  However in the Netgear Modem manual (    Download Manual for Netgear DM200 Modem  ) page 31 it shows how the DNS server settings can be entered.  

If one then connects the Plusnet Hub One to the Modem the Hub One will get DNS info from the Modem and provide a Routing service for items connected by either hardwired or wireless connections.

So by using the Plusnet Hub One with a separate modem you get all the functionality of a "Modem Router" without some of the disadvantages of the Hub  One (In particular the inability to use different DNS) but all the advantages of the Hub One's Wi Fi and 1GB 4 way hub.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Are you on commission from Netgear?

This is the 2nd old thread you've pointlessly bumped.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

That's because the DM200 would be functioning as a modem and router. See page 69 of the manual for how to set it up to function as only a modem.

You could use the DM200 as the modem and router, and connect the DM200 to a LAN port on the Hub One, so that the Hub One then only functions as a switch and wireless access point, but you would normally need to configure the Hub One appropriately by changing things such as disabling the Hub One's DHCP server.

grayerbeard
Dabbler

Thanks.  I am just wanting to try various options to improve the reliability.  I will note your suggestions which are broadly in line with what I thought to try. 

Apologies for adding to the end of fairly old threads but it was because my queries were related to those old threads. 

I am not sure about the definitions of "Modem" and "Router".   It would certainly seem that the Netgear DM200 has some functions that some feel you only get in a router. However it has no wireless functions and only one Network Port, so I will still need something else to provide WiFi and further wired connections.

grayerbeard
Dabbler

I tried the DM200 but found it hard to get working and more sensitive to bad line conditions than the Plusnet Hub One.
Visited Maplin for advice settled fot TP-Link Archer VR600 which I have found easy to get working and has plenty of easy to use options for DNS and other network options.