Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet help request for both voice and fibre

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Plusnet help request for both voice and fibre

I don’t know if it’s the 13th that’s the cause or just about time I had a problem but if anyone from Plusnet is reading this could you run a line check for me please both voice and fibre?

We had a brief dropout yesterday afternoon around 3:30 but after everything seemed fine however this morning we had another big dropout and our fibre connection has taken a huge hit, download is down from 79999 to 64650 and upload is down from 19999 to 7433.

We also have a lot of ‘mush’ and crackling on voice so this could be the usual dirty connection at the green cabinet (both it and the fibre are next to each other). Further when I tried to ring you as soon as the phone went ‘off hook’ the fibre dropped out (monitored via DSL Stats). I have run the BT speedtest but it returned an error, something about being unable to retrieve the correct details of my speed.

I did try and ring in this problem but the noise coupled with the loud music on hold was too much to bear so I have tried this way instead.

Edit: managed to report this via the fault reporter ticket number 135894703

13 REPLIES 13
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Plusnet help request for both voice and fibre

Hi, I've just replied to your ticket and booked an engineer visit for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Pendragon
Rising Star

Thanks Adam, that was quick, did not expect a visit before the weekend.

Regards, P.

Pendragon
Rising Star

I’m reporting this here as it is a bit complicated to report via the fault reporter and your system is reporting a 45 min wait for an agent to speak too.

The Openreach engineer has called and tested the line for voice calls and everything passed fine, the noise on the line had gone but may be temperature or weather related. He does have other faults to investigate in the area so there could still be an underlying fault in the system.

He did however say that although the line was ok for voice it was below par for our FTTC product, unfortunately as a voice engineer he was not allowed to run the broadband tests required to report the problem and he suggested I might like to send it back to my provider for further testing.

Our FTTC speeds briefly returned to almost normal and as the line was now fit for voice there was nothing further he could do so for this visit it was basically ‘no fault found’. But shortly after he left the line noise returned (this intermittent fault often happens on this line) and the broadband dropped out yet again.

May I suggest this fault is upgraded to a broadband fault so both the voice and FTTC sides of the system can be checked and tested together?

Regards, P

Edit: have added a printout of the SNR when I went off hook to telephone your helpdesk.

Pendragon
Rising Star

Good day (or not depending how your weekend went), I’m posting this here in the hope someone from Plusnet will pick it up as the problem is still on-going.

So two weeks ago I reported ‘noise on the line’ and broadband dropouts.
Engineer one turns up on the Friday, and the line was quiet as a grave, did all his tests and passed everything as clear. Went out to his van and while he was signing off my job low and behold back came the noise and the broadband dropped out.

I took the handset out to prove I did actually have a noise and he agreed yes the line was noisy but sorry nothing he could do as he was off to his next job.

Back to Plusnet and second Engineer turns up last Friday, and guess what, the line was clear again (we have an intermittent fault on this line for years, we know where, they always fix the same one lol). This guy was top notch, he tested everything, long line test back to the exchange, local tests of the faceplate, he even tested my cordless phone, all passed with flying colours.

Over the weekend everything was fine, then this morning, bang out goes the broadband again and back comes the noise (cold and damp overnight). A ‘quiet line test’ gave a very noisy line and caused the broadband to drop again (second drop around 9:40). We still have broadband so we can still get on-line it’s just if we make or receive a call the broadband will drop out, annoying but hey better than none at all.

So it’s back to you again Plusnet, the engineer that came last Friday told me if the line gives problems again to ask for a ‘Broadband Boost’ engineer to come. They have more time to fix the problem and can run more tests to isolate the fault. He said I may have to wait a while as they are very busy but I don’t mind that just so long as the fault gets fixed. So please, pretty please could you arrange one, just not this Friday I am busy all day.

Regards, P.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

We can't arrange Boost engineers I'm afraid.

What we can do is arrange a broadband engineer who will be able to look at that for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Pendragon
Rising Star

Yes please that would be good if you can, the line has been very noisy this morning, wet weather again, so I had a bright idea and used my mobile phone to record it (has the date and time), just in case the line is quiet again.

If you can arrange the engineer visit anytime except this Friday 28th, I am here both morning and afternoon. Due to the time of the week I would not expect anyone until next week, with luck it will hold together until then (forecast is better weather for the next few days).

Thanks for your help, regards, P.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Leave it with me and I'll update your fault ticket as soon as possible.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Pendragon
Rising Star

Thanks Matt will keep an eye on my ticket status.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've just updated the fault ticket for you.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Pendragon
Rising Star

All noted and fine.

What can I say except thanks again, as an aside I think this will be the first time I shall do a rain dance for the evening before he arrives LOL.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you have any idea where on the line the issue occurs? If you do I'd be out with the hosepipe!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pendragon
Rising Star

Hi Jelv,

Sorry I didn’t reply sooner been stuck testing (sorry playing) Empyrion – Galactic Survival all afternoon.

I don’t think the rest of the village would be happy with me if I took out the hosepipe LOL, just before we had fiber activated we had the underground cable from the house to the junction box outside our front gate replaced so everything from the faceplate (new at the same time) to the box is new.

The only two places left for the problem is within the box if the water level gets to high (1 out of 10 times) or in the green cabinet out on the main road through the village (9 out of ten times). The cabinet is the most likely place as we have had numerous problems there in the past when on ADSL, something to do with a tight cable to our underground bunch and when it gets cold and wet it shrinks and moves.

Anyway will post back if and when it’s fixed, watch this thread as they say, regards, P.

Pendragon
Rising Star

Engineer has completed his visit; fault has been traced, not in the green cabinet but somewhere in the underground cable right next to it. He will be sending it back for an underground team to investigate and fix.

Getting somewhere at last, voice and broadband are still working albeit a bit noisy and flaky but we can live with that until the underground investigation crew turn up.

Regards, P.