Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet has forced me to take a new 24 month contract to obtain a repair

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Plusnet has forced me to take a new 24 month contract to obtain a repair

Hi BEE.
The "visual" indications as far as the Router are concerned, will be pretty much identical whether it's a power cycle or reboot. The Event Log entry confirms it's a reboot.
As far as "mains" events go, as I mentioned very briefly it does depend very much on what "devices" or "equipment" that you may be looking at as to whether you detect anything that may have happened. That "equipment" can range from simple things such as standard light bulbs, low voltage halogen, compact fluorescents, standard fluorescents through to (more) complex equipment such as Clock/Radios, (Modem/)Routers, TV sets, Computers & UPS's (Uninterruptable Power Supplies) and so on.
Even different computers can behave differently depending on the duration of the dip in the mains supply. A Laptop running on mains at the time for example may not show any outward indication of a mains dip due to it's battery power supply whereas a Desktop may reboot, even the latter will depend on the quality of the power supply and (using the term loosely for simplicity of explanation) how large the "reservoir" capacitors within it are.
Standard light bulbs, especially lower wattage such as 40/60W may not show anything outward to brief dips due to thermal lag of the filament whereas a low voltage halogen spot on a standard transformer supply may show a brief change in brightness. My UPS will bleep at the slightest glitch but for example my TV set won't murmur even with slightly longer "switching" breaks, but the small PVR will reboot.
I hope that gives you a better insight into how tricky it can be to spot mains glitches which can vary in length.
Back to the more nitty-gritty of your problem. I first scan read your last post (the first couple of lines sort of register) but the eyes tend to focus on the Visual Radius plot and the first thing that stood out was crikey, quite a lot of those seem to occur at regular intervals. I then re-read the post in more detail.
My first reaction to the "Vis.Rad" (or VR for short) was hmm I'm thinking this is may not have anything to do with the router (and certainly not it's PSU). Component breakdown (which is the usual failure mode) tends not to produce events that occur at regular intervals, they are usually very random in pattern.
The "monitoring" record is a pretty standard test result output from the normal GEA test that's carried out, and the VR is a visual representation of the Radius log which is a record of your PPP Internet sessions - that's your "connectivity" to Plusnet (not specifically sync to the Cab - or exchange for ADSL, although loss of sync usually produces loss of PPP session, but that's not happening here).
I did wonder if the majority those events tended only to occur when you had your Computer on? (there will occasionally be one or two that occur in the early hours due to BT Backhaul or Plusnet Network maintenance).
The next thought was what Anti-Virus software do you have - are you running Avast or McAfee?
There have been a number of reports that in some instances (with other routers when I've seen them) where the AV causes a reboot when it does certain scan functions (a number of which will be scheduled at regular periodicity). It's always good to try and rule these things out as possibilities and I wouldn't limit my thoughts to just those to AV programs. It's an unintended effect and once such things are proven and highlighted, an update is usually provided to fix the problem.
The other possibility is some other program being run on any of the devices/computers that use your home network. First consider anything that may have not been used since last Sunday when this seemed to stop, or anything that may have had an update at that time. Also any wireless devices that may have been connected but haven't been since last Sunday.
I hope my ramblings help give you a better insight into discovering what might have caused your problem.
BEE
Dabbler

Hi Anotherone, thanks for being so helpful - and persistent!
Also on the same supply was an Openreach BT fibre modem and a Vonage VOIP box, both with lights,  so I would have been aware if they rebooted too. They were stacked which made them get hot so I screwed them to a wall. The router did seem to be warmer than I would have expected even when screwed to the wall. I've now installed the Hub 1 and removed the Openreach box.
The main PC that's connected with ethernet is running MacAfee but then, no settings have changed and the rebooting seems to have stopped. The new Hub 1 is 18 hours into use and is OK so far. That PC is on 24/7 but it sleeps after 60 mins & is rebooted at different times most days. I am running a home office so it's in use most of weekdays and some parts of evenings & weekends but the periods do not coincide with the reboot times. It sleeps when I'm out (about 30% of the time).
I can't think of any apps etc that do coincide and I am certainly not aware of anything that has stopped being used since Sunday. Actually, looking at my records, I misled you there - it was Monday evening when it stopped rebooting. The reboots have also occurred at various times including when I have been out of the house or asleep and nothing has been in use. For example, on 11 / 12th, the rebooting happened 7 times when I was away 28 hours on business and the PC was asleep. Although the chart seems regular, it's not regular enough to be associated with something that happens every day and not irregular enough to be totally random!
The Vonage VOIP box is also connected with ethernet and there are two further routers each connected to the main router ethernet ports to supply the TV & Sound system & boost the WiFi in the conservatory & garden (I take my laptop into the garden in the summer). A friend helped me to set that up about 2 years years ago and, as far as I am aware, it works OK.
Also running are a wifi laptop, 2 wifi phones, a wifi tablet, a wifi ipod and another pc connected to one of the other routers by wifi. Plugged into one of the routers is a Panasonic TV, Pioneer AV receiver, Humax PVR and a Panasonic Blue Ray DVD player. There's nothing plugged into the other - it's just for wifi. So there is a lot connected (!!!) but all except the phones are off during the night and most except the phones and main PC are off during the working day
We also have an intelligent central heating thermostat and a wireless heater controller for the conservatory but the reboot times do not coincide with the heating or hot water times.
We did have a line fault a year or so ago and PN raised a fault so BT dug up the road to cure it, but that wouldn't reboot the router.
Writing this is useful because it helps me analyse the situation but I have to say that there's nothing that stands out as being a likely candidate.
I'm going to leave everything connected for a week or so to see how it performs with the Hub 1. If there are any faults, I will:
1 - Disconnect the secondary routers in turn.
2 - Disconnect /  turn off individual components, one at a time.
3 - Try turning off the main PC when not in use instead of letting it sleep.
Thanks again
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for replying in such detail, you have obviously got a methodical approach there to work through should issues arise again. Let's hope not.
Worth mentioning that if it had been AV for example (or even anything else) an update may have fixed it without your even knowing what the cause was in the first place. Should you be very unlucky for it to crop up again, post back in this thread, then all the previous background information is here. I'll just wish you good luck with it for now Smiley
BEE
Dabbler

Thx
Smiley
Potaato

Don't be so hasty with blaming hardware devices with connection issues, as technology advances, the old modem or router will no doubt have issues due to incompatible out of date Firmware.
Often the ISPs upgrade their Server or Devices and in turn create incompatibility with 3rd party Firmware.
When asked for the UK Modulation Type, most people would offer the answer of A ? and many 3rd. party devices will automatically select this Standard.
Plusnet UK Modulation for VDSL is G.993.2 Annex B Standard.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Potato
Plusnet UK Modulation for VDSL is G.993.2 Annex B Standard.

Strictly speaking (or being pedantic, sorry) it's BT Openreach rather than Plusnet who determine the VDSL(2) standards in use:
VDSL2 Profile 17a, band plan B8-11 (i.e. plan 998ADE17) as defined in Annex B of G.993.2 (using tone sets A43 / A43C as defined in  G.994.1
Amendment 1)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anotherone
Champion

Don't be so hasty with blaming hardware devices with connection issues, as technology advances, the old modem or router will no doubt have issues due to incompatible out of date Firmware.

I'm really not sure where you are coming from here. Any advances in "technology" give newer (and generally better) services. That doesn't mean that the "older" services are degraded. For example, there has been absolutely no changes to any of the standards for ADSL or ADSL2+. For vDSL things do continue to improve with the addition of things such as G.INP and Vectoring.
Devices (ie.Modems) that are capable of using G.INP and Vectoring are also backwards compatible where G.INP and Vectoring is not applied.
The standard of service that people have been getting from services/devices not compatible with improvements as they are introduced doesn't usually degrade. Whilst we have seen instances of that on Fibre, that is down to a bodged implementation by Openreach/Btw and a failure by them to upgrade firmware where necessary.  AFAIK most of those problems have been rolled back. There may still be some to resolve.
And in any case, none of this is relevant to the problems that BEE had as they aren't relevant to Routers.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The G.INP standard, or technical recommendation, as it's called, does define G.INP for ADSL2 and ADSL2+. Apparently Sky LLU equipment uses it. I think it's very unlikely BT will be spending money replacing current ADSL2+ hardware in exchanges to add support for it.
Vectoring works best if all the VDSL2 modems connected to the cabinet support it. Openreach have specified that devices must support Vectoring. If Vectoring ever gets enabled, devices that don't support it, like the TD-W9980 currently, might get a reduced service, or people might even get told to replace those devices.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: ejs
I think it's very unlikely BT will be spending money replacing current ADSL2+ hardware in exchanges to add support for it.

Since they can't be bothered to replace all the clapped out old 20CN stuff then what you say is taken as read!
Vectoring works best if all the VDSL2 modems connected to the cabinet support it. Openreach have specified that devices must support Vectoring. If Vectoring ever gets enabled, devices that don't support it, like the TD-W9980 currently, might get a reduced service, or people might even get told to replace those devices.

The TD-W9980 has never been an approved device though has it? Clearly Modems that can't handle vectoring will see no benefit but are you saying that the introduction of vectoring would degrade the service where a Modem can't use it?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Ironically enough, one of the recently upgraded-to-21CN exchanges did have the vendor as Broadcom in the stats, so those few might have hardware capable of G.INP on ADSL2/2+, but it still might not get used.
No, the TD-W9980 has never been approved, and I doubt TP-Link are likely to put it through the testing process. The hardware itself probably would be capable of Vectoring if you put an appropriate OpenWRT firmware on it. But the TP-Link firmware does not currently contain Vectoring support.
I suppose just switching on Vectoring at a cabinet wouldn't reduce the speed for any modems on that cabinet which don't support Vectoring. However, to prevent the non-Vectoring devices slowing down other people's speeds, Openreach might implement some system to reduce the power of the signals transmitted to the non-Vectoring devices, or tell people to replace the offending devices. Since the vast majority of people will be using ISP supplied approved devices, there might be so little of anything else for there to be any need to deal with it.
Edit: missing n't added
Anotherone
Champion

That doesn't sound like an unreasonable approach for equipment that isn't "compliant" shall we say, rather than "approved"
IIRC, ISPs are currently moaning about what BT (Openreach) are saying they'll do in the future where people are using non-approved devices.
Potaato

Previously the ISPs device offerings were practically unusable which was why many people, I myself included, opted to pay for 3rd party modems/routers.
Even if the ISPs devices were usable many would still prefer 3rd party hardware for more "flexibility" and for the freedom of "choice".
For eleven Months I was on Annex A using a 3rd party all-in one modem router and suddenly the connection goes kaput and then I discovered the Modulation is now Annex B, which was the reason as to why I said do not blame the hardware.
It is quite understandable that BT Openreach would prefer people to use ISPs provided devices, afterall these devices are connected to BT Line. A similar scenario of someone connecting wireless to your router without requesting permission.
deathtrap
Grafter

I suppose just switching on Vectoring at a cabinet wouldn't reduce the speed for any modems on that cabinet which don't support Vectoring. However, to prevent the non-Vectoring devices slowing down other people's speeds, Openreach might implement some system to reduce the power of the signals transmitted to the non-Vectoring devices, or tell people to replace the offending devices. Since the vast majority of people will be using ISP supplied approved devices, there might be so little of anything else for there to be any need to deal with it.
Edit: missing n't added

The BT openreach modems ECI won't most likely be compatible with g vector  infact if BT are going offer speeds in excess of 100mbps  then all the BT fttc supplied kit will not be of benefit , as the theoretical max they can handle is 100mbps, HH5 no different  BT would again have to supply suitable hardware (modems that are capable of handling vectoring  sync and throughput speeds,
So apart from devices becoming only usable as routers (those with GB lan and Ewan) we have little to worry about
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

A similar scenario of someone connecting wireless to your router without requesting permission.

I'd have to disagree there.  Connections to the BT network are 'with permission' AKA line rental and broadband account, equipment connected should meet the required standards.  If someone (a guest) asks to connect to your wi-fi you wouldn't require full details of their wi-fi adapter as it is reasonably assumed it would comply with the relevant 802.11 standards.
I agree that not all current VDSL modem/routers appear to comply with all the relevant standards though (or possibly BTO's own cabinet equipment/firmware is not 100% standards compliant).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Neil63
Hooked

Don't know why PN are being like that as it "isn't doing them proud". I was with Talktalk " not wanting to sell them" but I have routers in every cupboard that I never needed all sent for free! As for your router problem they are really easy to set up as others have said, be brave have a go once you have done it once you will then have the knowledge and freedom to do to again if you have issues. As for a 24 month contract they have better shorter deals if you press them that you will leave iam sure they will want to keep your custom ring them back again and tell them your not getting the service that you would get from another supplier and they should come up with the goods to be fair and "do you proud".
Good luck!
Oops didn't see the updated pages sorry