cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet has forced me to take a new 24 month contract to obtain a repair

BEE
Dabbler

Plusnet has forced me to take a new 24 month contract to obtain a repair

I upgraded to fibre at the end of September 2014, 14 months ago. Recently, the router (Technicolor TG582n) has become faulty (see below*).  I am VERY UNHAPPY about the way PlusNet have dealt with this.  Angry  Angry  Angry
My issues are:
1 - PN refused to renew the router free of charge. I cannot find anything in their terms and conditions to say that they will not repair or replace a faulty router but they refused point blank.
2 - They have also refused to replace the router even when I asked if they would do so if I paid! I think that is totally unreasonable and actually contradicts what I was told yesterday!!!
3 - I looked at alternative routers from shops and came up with a TP-LINK TD-W9980 but users report problems setting it up with PN so, because I have limited understanding of these things, I felt I could not go down that road.
4 - I could go to another provider but my contract doesn't expire until the end of March 2016 so I would have to pay cancellation charges.
5 - The result of that is that my ONLY option is to sign up to PlusNet for a further 24 months which gets me a new Hub One router.  I've done that but I am most unhappy and am wondering whether to cancel within the 14 days.
I think PN are being totally unreasonable and have effectively blackmailed me into signing up for another 24 months.    Angry  Angry  Angry
Does anyone know whether I have any other options or whether PN's terms and conditions really say what I have been told.
BEE
* Router fault: The TG582n has been turning itself off and back on fairly regularly (more than 50 times in a few weeks. Sometimes, it is fairly regular, say every couple of hours. At other times, it can go a day without problems. It always simply reboots - all the lights go off, internet is lost and then it goes through the boot procedure and the lights come on. Within a few minutes the internet is back to full speed. It is not a line fault and not an electrical supply problem - it is the router that simply reboots itself.      It also seem a bit slow at times but that could be the PC - it's difficult to check until I have a reliable router.

59 REPLIES 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Plusnet has forced me to take a new 24 month contract to obtain a repair

If your knowledge of these things are limited how do you know the router is at fault? Who diagnosed the router as the source of your problem? Have you had line tests done etc?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

why don't you just buy a router
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Oldjim -
3 - I looked at alternative routers from shops and came up with a TP-LINK TD-W9980 but users report problems setting it up with PN so, because I have limited understanding of these things, I felt I could not go down that road.
BEE
Dabbler

Quote from: Mook
If your knowledge of these things are limited how do you know the router is at fault? Who diagnosed the router as the source of your problem? Have you had line tests done etc?

Yes, I raised a question and tech went through a monitoring process. The tech I spoke to today went through all the symptoms and agreed it was almost certainly a faulty router.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough, but as OJ hinted at buying a new router would be the best and easiest option. If you need help in setting it up there is many a person on the fora here that will help you. Once you have your router, post a message on your working connection saying what model it is and someone will reply with the instructions you need. You can then use that information to replace your faulty one and get back on line. And if you do cancel your new contract (within the 14 days) and move elsewhere you'll be able to use the same modem / router with them.
BEE
Dabbler

I'm sure that you and OldJim could set it up in a few minutes but it would take me a good half day, if I managed it at all.
I guess from your replies that you both think the PN stance is OK? I certainly do not. I think it is awful. They will not repair, replace or renew a bit of kit that they provided free or at cost, I can't get out of the contract with them and my only options are to get my virtual hands dirty with programming (if I can manage it at all) or to sign up for 24 months of the same. That's the sort of thing that ends up on Watchdog!
dick:quote
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: BEE
I'm sure that you and OldJim could set it up in a few minutes but it would take me a good half day, if I managed it at all.
No way, you're selling yourself short there. It's about three or four values that need entering into a web form. If you can shop online you have all the skills needed to set up a new router.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You shouldn't under estimate your capabilities, it is a lot easier than you think, but that's your choice.
As regards our stance I cannot speak for OJ but normal warranty periods are 12 month so to be fair to Plusnet I understand them not wanting to replace it. You also comment that they provided the unit free so that adds more to my understanding of them not wanting to replace it. It may have been free to you but it wouldn't be free to Plusnet. Having said that I do think they could have sold you a replacement unit without a contract.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Andrue
No way, you're selling yourself short there. It's about three or four values that need entering into a web form. If you can shop online you have all the skills needed to set up a new router.

Well said Andrue, that's really all the 'skill' you need.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

To be fair to PN, in common with most consumer electronics, the router has a 12 month warranty.  Just because it was supplied for free doesn't mean that PN have an obligation to support it out of warranty.
BrightonRock1
Grafter

One can see PlusNet's point about trying to avoid providing a "£40" router for free.
On the other hand, BT (for example,at least while I was with them) will replace a router if one is still in contract; they use the tactic to get people to stay in contract rather than paying on a monthly basis.
The OP seems to be correct that there is no mention on the PlusNet website of how long - if, indeed, at all - PlusNet will be willing to replace equipment that they have provided. It may be 12 months, but I can't immediately find where they actually say so, and not all electrical equipment has that short a guarantee period.
One can buy a replacement router, and probably a better one than PlusNet supply, but PlusNet do emphasise the value and importance of using their supplied equipment. 
Another issue to factor in when one comes to review renewing a contract......
BEE
Dabbler

First - the router might be presented as a free supply but that's nonsense - the cost is built into the monthly rate which is why they insist on you having a contract if you want it "free". After 14 months, I have well and truly paid for it.
Second - I can complain about PN not replacing the router because it's out of warranty but I can live with that BUT I am incensed that they won't supply one if I pay for it. That is totally unreasonable and probably falls into the category of an unfair business practice if it forces a consumer to have to renew the contract.
scottymc
Grafter

Are you unhappy with your line speed and connection ?
Was you thinking of leaving plusnet as soon as contract was up...If not why not just sign up and get a new router sent out for free plus p&p
When I was with sky their router broke and we had to sign up for another 12months to get a new one ( same with the sky tv box we had to have insurance because sky weren't interested if they broke after 12 months)
Hope it all works out for you
As said a lot of people on here can help get a new router up and running
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I would have bought a cheap router rather than sign upto a 24month Contract just to get one from Plusnet. I hope you have it in writing that they are going to supply a Hub One, the last thing you want is one of their 2704n routers especially being committed to 24 months.
I'd have even got a TG582n off ebay as you are familiar with it.