cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre router not arrived before fibre upgrade

loftybloke
Grafter

Plusnet fibre router not arrived before fibre upgrade

Hi guys the BT engineer has just been and sorted out our fibre upgrade but the Plusnet router dispatched last Friday hasn't arrived.
How can I connect my current router (tp link td-w8961nd) to the fibre modem just fitted? I'd really rather be able to use the new fibre before a replacement arrives from Plusnet if possible Sad
Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks
19 REPLIES 19
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Plusnet fibre router not arrived before fibre upgrade

I'm sorry to hear the router hasn't shown up.
I can see we're sending a replacement out as soon as possible.
With regards to the router I'm not sure if it supports PPPoE which is what you need to connect to the modem however I'm sure another poster will clarify that.
You can connect one computer direct to the modem by following the guide below.
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
loftybloke
Grafter

Hi thanks for the reply. I have the router set to PPPoE VC-Mux. The two options are PPPoE VC-Mux and PPPoE LLC
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Hi,
I've looked at the manual for the  td-w8961nd and I've got bad news I'm afraid. It's not going to work with a Fibre connection. You either need a router with an Ethernet(WAN) port to connect via the BT modem OR an modem router with VDSL capability. Yours is just an ADSL modem/router, and so will only work on an ADSL connection. Some of these types of units have the ability to use one of the LAN ports as a WAN port but I'm afraid the  td-w8961nd doesnt. You could go out and buy a cheap router if you wanted to get online quickly. You need what's usually called a 'cable router' to connect to the BT modem. If you wish to go down that route then post back with the make/model of what you are looking at and I'm sure we'll be able to confirm it will work before you purchase it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

loftybloke
Grafter

Hi I found reference to connection type in the user manual and have selected wan interface on the access control setup page. Is this what you are referring to?
loftybloke
Grafter

Also is there no way to connect to the fibre modem directly from a PC to use the web?
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

That is what Matthew gave you instructions to do in Reply #1

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Hi I found reference to connection type in the user manual and have selected wan interface on the access control setup page. Is this what you are referring to?
Where are you looking in the manual ?, I can't see anything that allows configuration of the WAN interface to use one of the Ethernet LAN ports

loftybloke
Grafter

Sorry must've missed it
Page 56 mentions lan/wan change shttp://www.tp-link.com/resources/document/TD-W8961ND_v2_user_guide.pdf
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm sorry but I can't see that in that document, actual page no 56 is about Application Filters and the pdf file page 56 ( actual page 49) is about Access Management , neither of whcih mention LAN/WAN port changing.

loftybloke
Grafter

Apologies all, doing all this from my phone hasnt been conductive or easy. I've connected directly to the modem as Matt advised originally which I missed.
MisterW try page 50. Not sure what adobe on my phone was giving me, but I can see the same page on my PC as page 51 in the document linked above
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

MisterW try page 51
Nope, that's just referring to IP filtering on either the WAN or LAN ports

loftybloke
Grafter

Ah I see
Thank you
loftybloke
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
Hi,
I've looked at the manual for the  td-w8961nd and I've got bad news I'm afraid. It's not going to work with a Fibre connection. You either need a router with an Ethernet(WAN) port to connect via the BT modem OR an modem router with VDSL capability. Yours is just an ADSL modem/router, and so will only work on an ADSL connection. Some of these types of units have the ability to use one of the LAN ports as a WAN port but I'm afraid the  td-w8961nd doesnt. You could go out and buy a cheap router if you wanted to get online quickly. You need what's usually called a 'cable router' to connect to the BT modem. If you wish to go down that route then post back with the make/model of what you are looking at and I'm sure we'll be able to confirm it will work before you purchase it.

Is this what I need?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/TL-WR841N.htm#pdpPromotions
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

That should work fine.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team