cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Telegraphhill
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

@bobpullen

Hi Bob, new router arrived and installed.  S/N  xxx0355 User telegraphhill

Could you try to update again, please?

mjl1

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

@bobpullen

I have a Plusnet Hub One - reported a fault 05/05/17 where my line has suddenly started dropping out frequently in the past couple of days (every 15 minutes or so) having previously been "up" for 51 days (and overall extremely stable). Your tier 1 support said the line is testing fine, and has got me currently connected to the test socket on a new filter etc, although this made no difference at all to the drop outs. The fault ticket has been passed to your faults team apparently.

On doing some further research after reporting the fault, I realised that we have added a number of large files to backup to Azure in the past few days - and so the upload has been maxed out for the past couple of days, possibly matching when the dropouts started. Having set a throttle to the upload (to 1.5MB/sec, on an 80/20 line) to see what difference this makes,.the line has now been stable 12 hours.

Looking at the router event logs, there is an entry "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [PPPoE PADT received]" immediately before each drop out, which I think matches the circumstances described in this thread. 

If I am reading this thread correctly, this issue is likely to be the same as that described in the thread and a config change you can apply from the plusnet side will resolve it so I can actually use my full bandwidth (with a permanent fix to come by firmware later in the year)?

Look forward to an update - thanks for any assistance.

deanol
Hooked

@bobpullen

I have the same symptoms and same router with the same software version. Would it be possible to apply the fix to my router please because the intermittent drop outs are causing me problems in trying to find a new job. I can't seem to get it stable when searching in JobServe.

I don't know how to PM you though if you need anything further from me.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Tainshy-Stryder@Telegraphhill & @mjl1 - I've just pushed a config update to each of your devices so you should find things are a lot better now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

xfx295

@bobpullen

I still get restarts every 24-48 hours. The longest uptime since we spoke was 51hours.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Not going to be related. I can see the drops, but they don't coincide with times of heavy upload Undecided

Session Started	        Session Ended	        Session Duration
20:44 07/May/2017	N/A	                21:56:56 (on going)
12:10 05/May/2017	20:43 07/May/2017	2 Days, 8:33:18
02:48 04/May/2017	12:09 05/May/2017	One Day, 9:21:8
19:20 02/May/2017	02:48 04/May/2017	One Day, 7:28:2
01:10 01/May/2017	19:19 02/May/2017	One Day, 18:9:22
03:40 29/Apr/2017	01:09 01/May/2017	One Day, 21:29:13

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jamestapp
Dabbler

Hi Bob,

We spoke previously on here and you kindly confirmed the fix had been pushed out to me in mid March. Since then I have had drop outs on the 1st April (Twice in quick succession) and the same again last night the 8th May (twice again in quick succession).

Now this is not a major inconvenience compared to some, but is this 'expected' behaviour and something I should just shrug off - or should I troubleshoot further? I had thought it was all good until last night?

Since the first problem I experienced and reported (on a daily basis for three days in December) I have been plugged into the test socket directly on the only telephone Point I have (master) with a new filter.

One last question - if I power off the router, for whatever reason (I don't intend to), will the fix still apply? I assume I only wipe it if I do a factory reset.

Cheers,

James

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @jamestapp, I can see a few drops on your connection but they don't seem excessive and I don't believe they are related to the problems that were being discussed in this thread.

If the drops start becoming problematic and you've been through our troubleshooting guides, by all means feel free to raise a fault over at http://faults.plus.net

However as the drops appear to be quite infrequent, it may not be anything to worry about.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jamestapp
Dabbler

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the quick reply. I did suspect it might be something less catastrophic than the fault some of the others are experiencing.

"it may not be anything to worry about"

That's the key issue for me - Is it normal or do I need to take some action? I can live with the current frequency as long as it doesn't die completely one day - I was told via the fault resolution that was closed around xmas (no dropout for a week after daily problems) that it had to be dropping 3 times a day regularly to warrant an engineer visit?

I assume if I log a fault with my current monthly frequency of drop out you will not send an engineer?

Regards,

James

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@jamestapp wrote:
I was told ... that it had to be dropping 3 times a day regularly to warrant an engineer visit?

That's more of guideline than a strict rule, as a drop or two could be almost anything, but wouldn't necessarily suggest there is a fault on the line.

@jamestapp wrote:

I assume if I log a fault with my current monthly frequency of drop out you will not send an engineer?

Testing your line isn't indicating any problems, so if we were to raise this with our suppliers and they were unable to find anything from further testing, they'd likely request to send an engineer.

Having said this, if the engineer came out and said there was no fault with the service, the appointment would become chargeable, which is why we wouldn't just want to jump straight in to this off the back of one or two drops now and then.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jamestapp
Dabbler

Thanks again for the quick reply,

I'll continue to monitor it and if it gets worse I'll raise a ticket. I'm using the test socket with a new filter, and the router is in warranty, so I can't see why it would be a problem here - But I understand you wouldn't want to pay for an Open reach engineer if the problem does not manifest itself more regularly. Our housing estate/exchange has not been fault free over the years, my broadband failed completely in the year before I went to fibre - and the fault was repaired speedily by yourselves/open reach.

I suppose complete failures are easier to deal with in some ways.

Regards,

James

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@jamestapp wrote:
But I understand you wouldn't want to pay for an Open reach engineer

Although we would be charged, £65 of this charge would be passed on to yourself, and we wouldn't want you to to incur and engineer charge if the engineer confirms there is not actually a fault on the line.

@jamestapp wrote:

I'll continue to monitor it and if it gets worse I'll raise a ticket.

That sounds like the best option at the moment Thumbs_Up

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
csjkeir
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen,

You sorted me out a while ago, and since then I have upgraded to 80/20.  However, I have just started experiencing drop outs again!

Please could you look into it?  username is csjkeir.

Many thanks,

Chris

csjkeir
Dabbler

@bobpullen - worth mentioning that I have checked the logs, and the 'send termination request' hadn't happened at all after your config change, but kicked in again as soon as the 80/20 upgrade completed.

Thank you,

Chris

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@csjkeir, can take a look tomorrow, but assuming you've not swapped the router out or factory reset it, then nothing should have reverted Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team