cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

@john78, your router has been upgraded.

@rmcg, you are not on the version of firmware affected by the issue being discussed. Despite this, I've upgraded you to the latest available version anyway.

@jafreer, I am not aware of any such issue affecting the .259 version of the firmware, and checking service layer data from Openreach suggests that lines running the latest firmware see a similar volume of retrains etc. compared to the ECI cohort (ECI DSLAMs do not have sub-6dB profiling).

That said, I am interested in getting to the bottom of any unknown issues, so if you swap the HG612 in and it can maintain week-long sessions, then let me know.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Thanks Bob,

Yes, I will wait a few more days with the PN router attached just to see when I see the next disconnect, then switch back to the HG612 and report back.

I suppose it is possible DLM is still making changes on my line since the engineer visit about a month ago but I assumed when it settled on the 3dB profile that would be the start of some stability.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the quick response.

paulduncanadams

Hi Bob (@bobpullen)

My Plusnet One router disconnects and resets when we upload (either to cloud services or my network attached storage). We are running software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 Last updated 15/08/17

Can you advise on how to resolve? Do you want the event log from a drop out?

Many thanks

Paul

mcurnow
Dabbler

My PlusNet Hub One kept on dropping out, could well have been during uploads. Last week I switched to a standalone VDSL modem and no longer get any internet drops, so the fault as I see it lays totally on the Hub One.

john78
Hooked

@bobpullen I can confirm this fixed my issue, thanks a bunch Bob.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Hi @bobpullen,

I connected my HG612 modem again and it has remained connected now for more than 10 days (i.e. no DSL drops/resyncs).

With the Hub One connected (as the modem), it is resyncing every day or two.

It really looks like that the Hub One is dropping the connection more than it should. It is not like I have fluctuating SNRM's or the like. The connection is very stable and that is verified with the HG612 staying connected for weeks (sometimes months) on end.

Oddly, I never saw this issue when on the 6dB profile so I can't help but think it is related, but I could be wrong on that.

It is true that the HG612 could simply be regarded as a better modem (and it does sync at a higher rate than the Hub One), but I can't see any reason, looking at the stats, why the Hub One should have to disconnect.

One question I did have - does the "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" log entry occur whenever DLM wants to drop the connection (e.g. to make a change)? Or does that log entry only occur when the modem wants to drop the connection?

In other words, when these drops are happening, is it purely based on the modem wanting to disconnect (for whatever reason) as opposed to DLM initiating any drop?

This issue is not causing me any great problem as I can just use the HG612 as the modem (and the Hub One as the router).

However, I am curious to know what is causing it. There is presumably a set of criteria in the router firmware that it uses to decide when to drop the connection. I wonder if there is something that still doesn't sit well with the 3dB SNRM profiles.

paulduncanadams

@bobpullen - any update on this? It still drops out when I tried to upload files to my NAS. 

Please help!

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@jafreer Do you know what type of fibre cab your on, It's not always the case but some lines prefer having the chipset of the fibre cab match the Chipset of the modem, the HG612 is a Huawei whilst the Hub one is a ECI if your cab is Huawei then having the Hub one as the Modem might be the reason for the issues and why the things are ok with the HG12 as i say it's not always the case but it can happen somthing to be aware of.   

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@paulduncanadams, you're not on a version of firmware affected by the upload issue. That said, there is a more stable variant available with an updated DSL driver, so I've upgraded you to that.

@mcurnow, same situation with you. If you'd like me to push a firmware update then please reattach your Hub One to the line, perform a factory reset and give me a nudge here.

@jafreer, thanks for the continued feedback. This is what things look like this side:

@Terranova667 has a valid point regarding chipset alignment. I suspect you will be connected to a Huawei cab if your target SNR drops below 6dB.

One question I did have - does the "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" log entry occur whenever DLM wants to drop the connection (e.g. to make a change)? Or does that log entry only occur when the modem wants to drop the connection?

In other words, when these drops are happening, is it purely based on the modem wanting to disconnect (for whatever reason) as opposed to DLM initiating any drop?

You'll see that whether the connection drop is initiated from the client-side, or a termination request is sent from the remote device. It's not particularly telling.

DLM dropping the connection to make a profile change wouldn't typically happen during sociable hours.

Once we've upgraded the entire Hub One estate to the latest firmware, we'll take a look at the service layer data, comparing ECI cabs to Huawei. If there's still an underlying problem then I expect to see some correlation in the data.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

mcurnow
Dabbler

Thanks, but I am happily running on my OEM modem which I need to run in bridge mode to work with my mesh WiFi system. The OEM modem seems to be working fine and I am getting much faster speeds with it - 60-70Mbs compared with 40 with the PlusNet one due to increased stability.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I am on a Huawei cabinet however the ECI based Hub One works fine on a 6dB profile. The disconnect issue only occurs on a 3dB profile.

It may be related to some incompatibility between chipsets although both chipsets should be fully compatible and compliant with each other.

Certainly the HG612 always connects at higher speeds than the Hub One so I think I will stick with the 2 box solution for now until the Hub One can handle the 3dB profiles.

beta_tester
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen,

Been seeing some "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [PPPoE PADT received]" errors recently. Can you please get my router updated to the latest firmware? I'm currently on version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2

Thanks.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@beta_tester, that version isn't susceptible to the PPP drop issue so doesn't require upgrading.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

aliasflorence
Hooked

Hi Bob @bobpullen 

Since upgrading to super fast broadband I have seen a good increase in download speed from c. 32 Mbps to 40 Mbps.

However, I'm also noticing regular dropouts once or twice a day and examining the event log I see the following.  Is this indicative of a PN Hub One router firmware problem?  Note that my drop wire and master socket were changed by BT prior to moving to Plusnet so I'm reasonably confident there is no line fault.  BT Wholesale performance test reports 41.04 Mbps download, 7.79 Mbps upload with no performance problems.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

15:39:40, 09 Mar. (654439.610000) CWMP: session completed successfully
15:39:40, 09 Mar. (654439.440000) CWMP: HTTP authentication success from https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo
15:39:38, 09 Mar. (654437.550000) CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username
15:39:38, 09 Mar. (654437.540000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '6 CONNECTION REQUEST,4 VALUE CHANGE'
15:39:37, 09 Mar. (654437.070000) CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 6 CONNECTION REQUEST
15:39:37, 09 Mar. (654436.880000) CWMP: session completed successfully
15:39:37, 09 Mar. (654436.660000) CWMP: HTTP authentication success from https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo
15:39:35, 09 Mar. (654434.290000) CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username
15:39:35, 09 Mar. (654434.280000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '2 PERIODIC,4 VALUE CHANGE'
15:39:34, 09 Mar. (654433.820000) CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 2 PERIODIC
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

Can you confirm what firmware version you're on?

It should be at the bottom of the router settings once you've logged in at http://192.168.1.254

Having said that, our tests are showing the line stability to be bad so it may be worth reporting a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net letting us know over here once you've done this and we'll pass this on to our suppliers to arrange an engineer for further investigation.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet