cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Off topic, but which Openreach modem do you have? Huawei I assume? Being on a 3db profile, I'm guessing you're probably connected to a Huawei DSLAM too. We could be looking at chipset differences/inoperability.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bluewhale
Rising Star

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

@bobpullen the broadcom chipset in the openreach modem ( ver 2 i think ) , that's why i can access it's data,so yes diff chipset from the hub one, point being that the hub one made it look like i had a line fault ( not the case ) which i do not have

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

To your point that it's going to get worse, I believe 3db across Huawei estate is complete, so truth in that statement sits with how the Hub One performs on an ECI cab.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

slimgym
Dabbler

@bobpullen wrote:

@slimgym wrote:

Hi @bobpullen; moved to PlusNet within the last 10 days and have just seen this issue trying to sync uploads to OneDrive. Has been totally problem free during downlink saturation, just uplink seems to cause this.

Thankfully just PPP disconnects not the whole circuit. Google found this thread. The Hub One has Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 Last updated Unknown. I don't know if I need new firmware pushed or just a QoS rule update to rectify.

Would you be able to oblige? Router serial number last 3 is 617.

Sorry to hear you're having problems Dave. Unfortunately, I'm struggling to send the necessary commands to your device. Any chance you can try a factory reset for me?

Thanks @bobpullen just doing the factory default now.

bluewhale
Rising Star

@bobpullen ah see what you were asking now, no i am not on an eci cabinet, according to kitz pictures of what they look like,my cabinet is a Huawei 288 /384HD FTTC cabinet 

regarding the rollout, it's only been done autumn this year hasn't it?

at least that's when the issues started, of course there could have been an update to the DLM and/or cabinet firmware at some point...

on some level i'm not sure what your point is anyway,as it clearly is not my line or my house that is causing the issue, are you saying i'm on some kind of edge case

my gut feeling is that it's going to be a combination of 3db and speed and maybe some unknowns, what has annoyed me is that as you state it has not been acked by plusnet and i have been left hanging with being told to buy my own equipment which is annoying enough, but with no guidance of what will work, so i could go out and buy upwards of £50 of modem/router only to find it has the same problem, especially as i don;t know whether this is a DLM issue or an issue with the modem or both

one thing i am sure of is that the hub one does not work in mine and other cases on 3db,or have you evidence that contradicts that?

mp80

I'm pretty sure this problem is affecting me too - periodic disconnections despite being the only device on the line (no extensions) on 40/2 service. What should I do? Flag it on PN support or try different hardware?
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@mp80

PN are currently migrating those of us on 40/2 to 40/10 in batches of 25,000 at a time. Whether this is due to the upload issue is anyone's guess. One hopes this cures it, though time will tell I guess.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@slimgym, your device has now been upgraded.

@bluewhale, the 3db trials commenced last year (2016) before being extended throughout 2017. It's not that new a development (although your circuit may not have been moved until fairly recently).

@bluewhale wrote:
one thing i am sure of is that the hub one does not work in mine and other cases on 3db,or have you evidence that contradicts that?

Yes. I've seen members of staff benefit from a shift to 3db, who are using the Hub One and do not see line drops.

There may be some external/line quality/operability factors that mean your circuit doesn't perform as well at 3db when using a Lantiq chipset. If that's the case, and your line drops when using the Hub One, then DLM should be raising your target margin accordingly over subsequent days (back to 6db if necessary) to restore stability. This is how it's designed.

Granted, you don't have problems using a Broadcom device, but just because the Openreach modem can maintain a 3db connection in your circumstances, doesn't mean the Hub One necessarily can. What's important, is that your line eventually stabilises if the Hub One is left in place - even if that means a target SNR of 6db rather than 3db, and a lower sync rate.

@mp80, I'll take a look at your account when I'm next in the office.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bluewhale
Rising Star

@bobpullen

What's important, is that your line eventually stabilises if the Hub One is left in place - even if that means a target SNR of 6db rather than 3db, and a lower sync rate.

but that's the point my line does NOT stabilise, if i use the hub one then i get instability on a perm basis, the DLM does not put it back to 6db and changing the stability profile had no effect either

it's like you are in denial and are back to trying to blame conditions on my line which do not exist as the openreach modem has proven

i wonder how many people are suffering without realising this, it was an issue for us because of the youview box

i would have thought someone should be trying to find out what is going on rather than just ignoring me...

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I guess I'm with bluewhale on this.....

A bit of history first - tie-pair mod, lift n shift etc whilst with BT. SNR fixed to 6dB as my 1100 (roughly) metres of aluminum couldn't cope with 3dB, I was told this, don't shoot the messenger. Moved to Sky = rock solid for almost 2 years bar the 2 SNR tweaks.

Moved to PN late 2016 and it's been a bit hit n miss. Had the we're increasing your upload email in early to mid November but saw no increase..... PN support confirm they looked and removed upload cap (ticket 163019384) on 28 November, but it's still low, sitting around 2.4Mbps. As my PNH1 (in use for 11 months and 5 days) hadn't updated the firmware, PN issued a replacement under their warranty.

But, here's where Bob's post and the info given to me by tech support differ - Support have told me that my 3 - 3.4dB cannot be tweaked, manually or automatically as this would also affect 2,400 other PN customers. So now I have no idea who's right.

I was, at the request of PN, going to raise a fault, but the following statement has put me off:

if I'm honest with you the next step would be to raise this as a fault to our faults department as I believe you have done all the tests accurately and it seems it maybe an issue that needs to be internally rectified through our fault guys

So as part of raising it to our faults team, I will need to read out an engineer statement to you - I am not booking an engineer for you at the moment, our faults guys will decide whether one is required and will contact you to organise that at a date/time that suits you.

Upon retesting your service we have been unable to identify any form of network related issue, this would mean should you still experience any form of issue an engineer would be required to premises to investigate.

As part of the investigation of this fault we may need an engineer to visit your property to test the line. If the engineer finds the problem is with your internal wiring, your equipment, the condition of your property or the Openreach network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like building or garden works or if no fault is found, you will receive a charge of £65 to cover the cost of the engineer. This charge will also apply if you miss the appointment or you cancel without giving us 2 working days' notice.

This charge will apply at all times when we're working on the fault and you'll need to accept this statement again if the issue is closed and then re-opened.

(my bold). I don't think a 'fault' will be found, so I'll let the ticket lapse.

Confirmation of 3dB:

13:51:17, 06 Dec. PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=27533Kbps, Up Rate=2490Kbps; SNR Margin Down=3.3dB, Up=5.8dB

01:33:01, 07 Dec. PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=27342Kbps, Up Rate=2462Kbps; SNR Margin Down=3.3dB, Up=5.9dB

01:34:44, 09 Dec. PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=27291Kbps, Up Rate=2494Kbps; SNR Margin Down=3.3dB, Up=5.9dB

01:00:09, 15 Dec. PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=27119Kbps, Up Rate=2430Kbps; SNR Margin Down=3.4dB, Up=5.9dB

bluewhale
Rising Star

@DS so the case is with FTTC that plusnet have no control over the SNRM, in fact no one does AFAIK, it is an automated part of the DLM algorithm. the DLM looks at the data over a period ( a day i think )and then adjusts the line characteristics as appropriate. there is only one thing that can be done by plusnet and that is to alter the stability profile, this adjusts how the DLM sees relative importance of the number of disconnects a day. it had no effect in my case.

yes i too was gob smacked by that we'll charge you statement, been with plusnet for years too. in the end i went for it even though it was obvious that it was not a fault with the line,this was before i'd got an openreach modem to test with, but was obvious from the way the line was behaving and on disconnects. i ended up spending 4 half days on visits, including a cancelled one, 3 of which were the wrong engineer type as was clearly a broadband fault and not a line fault. in the end they said they could do nothing as the next level of engineer visit plusnet are not able to order from bt wholesale,something that i find very frustrating. then i tried the openreach modem which has proven conclusively that there is something amiss with the hub one modem

which is why i am quite surprised that @bobpullen wasn't aware of this and/or that it has not been acked at least internally

as i've said i'm now left using a potential fire hazard modem or having to buy something that i have no information on what to buy that will work

seriously not impressed on many levels

kind of reminds me of the ADSL rollout debacle...

slimgym
Dabbler

@bobpullen wrote:

@slimgym, your device has now been upgraded.

Thanks for that @bobpullen can see the firmware update has been taken on board.

Heker_88

@bobpullen Hi I also have been having connectivity dropouts while uploading files.

I believe my router is on the old firmware. 

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 | Last updated Unknown

I have also been getting error logs like these which I was told is to do with this issue.

23:47:49, 19 Dec. (84481.490000) PPPoE is down after 7 minutes uptime [Disconnected] 23:47:46, 19 Dec. (84479.340000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [PPPoE PADT received]

Please let me know what more info you need from me or if I need to do a reset of my router. Thanks in advance

mp80

@bobpullen did you reach any conclusion about my problem?

FYI I've tried using my old OpenReach modem for a couple of weeks, and it's more stable than PlusNet One router but by no means faultless without dropouts.

gm1982
Dabbler

Hi, I have this exact issue when uploading to google drive. I have a BT home hub 5 - what options do I have? Thanks
Tags (1)