cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

aliasflorence
Hooked

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Thanks, The Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. I certainly see a lot of connection drops just as I did previously with BT.  They sent a BT OR technician who replaced the wire from the junction box under the eaves and fitted a new Master socket.  From then we moved to Plusnet and with the 32Mbps service didn’t notice any significant problems. As soon as we switched to the Superfast service in mid December we began to see the connection dropping at least once a day.

Thanks for the advice to report on the faults page.  I’ll do that.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

As far as I'm aware that firmware version is the latest and there aren't any known problems with it. I've just picked up the fault you've reported now and added a reply which you can view and reply to from here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=188273787 

If you can give us a nudge over here once you've responded we'll be happy to pick it up as soon as we can and book the appointment in for an engineer to visit and investigate this further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

As far as I'm aware that firmware version is the latest and there aren't any known problems with it.

I can make you aware of at least 2, if you want Undecided. Then at least you can say there might be an issue....?

<from my amber ... red thread>

Its hard to know how it is atm, though unhappy to report SWMBO commented that her phone was saying 'poor internet connection, please check your internet' this morning .... <sigh> but I now know it's AFTER the f/w update and she's never had it before!! And that's on the 2.4GHz Huh

btw, also now on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Ironically the same happened today too!! The only thing I've noticed is what appears to be new hub firewall 'events'

12:12:00, 12 Mar. OUT: BLOCK [9] Packet invalid in connection (tcp reset attack is suspected: TCP [<her phone>]: .... -​>[31.13.90.6] .... on ppp3)

(the hub is blocking outbound connection to Farcebook, which imho ain't a bad thing, though I don't recall seeing the bit highlighted in bold before. Could this be causing her 'check connection' error message?

<same thread>

Erm, something else is 'seeing' the new f/w, our smart TV (near the router, fixed to the wall, nothing moved, but on 2.4GHz) has always had full signal - always!! It's now reporting a weaker signal Cry

Hope this isn't one step forward and two back ... Huh

(some extra bits highlighted in bold in addition to ones already in bold)

aliasflorence
Hooked

Thanks Anoush, since our earlier exchange there have been two BTOR technician visits but drops are still occurring. I’ve moved the modem/router to connect directly to the master socket and disconnected the Cat5e solid CU core extension lead. No improvement to speed or stability. I had a very frustrated phone call with a PN service about this and had to insist that I was told the results of a recent BRAG report. You had originally posted It reporting unstable line. Eventually the agent told me that the latest BRAG reported “very unstable”. This is worse, so another BT tech visit is planned.
However, the PNH1 event log records that recent disconnects are due either to “PPP LCP Send Termination Request“ or “Boot reason: watchdog reset (cause: 0x3)”. These seem to be caused by the modem router I think. Could I have a faulty modem router? Or would the line instability be the cause?
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Boot reason: watchdog reset (cause: 0x3)

You need a replacement router

0x0: normal watchdog reset
0x1: watchdog reset caused by wireless PCI failure
0x2: watchdog reset caused by kernel not responding to interrupts
0x3: Returned if both bits 0x1 and 0x2 are set.

The reset 0x3 is a hardware failure.

(nothing you can do until a member of staff picks this up)

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @aliasflorence,

from looking at the records you previously provided and also the watchdog error 0x3, as @DS suggests, its very likely a hardware problem.

Ive placed an order for a replacement router which should get shipped out on monday and be with you in the next few working days.

Let us know how it goes and if it resolves the problem.

aliasflorence
Hooked

Thanks. Hopefully this will help
freestyling

Hi, getting perfectly stable internet connection in the morning, and a really unstable one in the evening. Same hardware (ONE router) as used for years at a previous property, surely this is a line issue whereby data transfer is lost and router panics?

Thanks for your assistance? 

21:02:20, 05 Jun.

(257393.900000) PTM over DSL is up

20:57:44, 05 Jun.

(257118.080000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host

(257118.060000) CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username

(257118.050000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '4 VALUE CHANGE'

20:57:13, 05 Jun.

(257087.730000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host

(257087.700000) CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username

(257087.690000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '4 VALUE CHANGE'

(257087.360000) CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 4 VALUE CHANGE

20:57:11, 05 Jun.

(257085.570000) PTM over DSL is down after 982 minutes uptime

20:57:11, 05 Jun.

(257085.570000) PPPoE is down after 982 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 - Down)]

aliasflorence
Hooked

My ‘boot’ disconnects were solved with a new router.
But the line continued to disconnect almost daily with the same WAN event messages as you describe. I raised a fault with Plusnet and after four unsuccessful BT Openreach visits they finally did a ‘lift and shift’ which has stabilised the line with only two drops in nearly three weeks.
Two things were helpful in the fault reporting process. First, be persistent and do not accept the comments that one or two drops a day is reasonable or acceptable. One customer advisor said this was part of the PN T&Cs but it is not.
Second, insist that the BRAG report for your line is published in the question comments everytime they test the line. The BRAG gives clear statements about the stability of the line and is more objective than anyone’s ‘opinion’.
I’ve learned that the most praised internet service provider is A&A because their staff are naggingly persistent with BTOR. You need to do this for your fault as the PN team will look for the earliest opportunity to close the question. Good luck.
freestyling

Many thanks @aliasflorence, that's invaluable.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@freestyling, we're seeing your line dropping out heavily in the evenings and it looks like we've booked an appointment for an engineer to investigate on 11/06/2019 between 1pm and 6pm. Can you let us know how it goes?

If you're still experiencing connection problems following that and we need to arrange another engineer we'd have the option to escalate this with Openreach to request a multi-skilled engineer goes out to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
freestyling

Hi @Gandalf, yes that’s correct - my only concern is that I was told that if they don’t find an issue they will charge me £65. But surely the fact that the connection is fine basically all morning and not in the evening/until 4am and the nature of the log all points towards it being a line or exchange side issue?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @freestyling

As we can see your connection is dropping if the engineer doesn't find a fault and things remain the same we'll likely just simply arrange another engineer to investigate further. Engineer charges aren't something we take lightly and this will be reviewed by our billing team within 90 days following a fault investigation closing.

It's possible the issue may be a line or exchange issue but it'll be difficult to tell until an engineer has gone out.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet