cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

pp

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Thanks Bob, was fine yesterday evening and now my router is reporting that the WAN is dropping between every 5 to 40 mins this morning 😕
rhwbanz

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

This isn't a fibre specific issue, I'm getting these constant PADT signals to terminate my PPOE connection all the time for the past 2 weeks, I'm on a lowly 2MB ADSL connection and even when nothing uploading they occur. Plusnet have sent 3 engineers who say there is nothing at all wrong with my line and when I connect to the bt_test_user@startup_domain account it doesnt disconnect at all. 

Plusnet seem unwilling to do any of their own investigation into it and simply keep sending bt engineers over.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your time on the phone @rhwbanz

I'll update your ticket shortly following our conversation.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sekonz
Grafter

@bobpullen wrote:
Yes, it's effective immediately, no need to reboot.

Uploads were fine this morning. Tested with a few large audio files in parallel and all uploaded with no drops.

Is this update you applied only for the plusnet hub router or would it apply to other routers. At some-point i may change my router to the TP-link one I bought.

Mewcenary
Grafter

Thanks @bobpullen for applying the fix.

I've been stressing the upload since last night and there are no WAN drops being shown in the logs, which is a considerable improvement from before when the router would drop the connection every 4-5 minutes.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@sekonz wrote:
Is this update you applied only for the plusnet hub router or would it apply to other routers. At some-point i may change my router to the TP-link one I bought.

It's a configuration update that tweaks some of the QoS attributes in the firmware. The problem is highly unlikely to manifest itself when using after-market kit, so feel free to swap the TP-Link in.

@rhwbanz wrote:

This isn't a fibre specific issue...

Yes it is. None of our testing has managed to replicate the issue on an ADSL line, in some cases routing via the exact same cabinet at a known 'broken' FTTC line. The issue is specific to the PTM PPP interface of the Hub One and certain conditions on our broadband network.

I'm getting these constant PADT signals to terminate my PPOE connection all the time for the past 2 weeks, I'm on a lowly 2MB ADSL connection and even when nothing uploading they occur.

What kit/router are you using and have you tried an alternative? The remote side will send PADT's by design in certain circumstances i.e. if your router is not responding to LCP keep-alive traffic in a timely/sensible fashion. Do you have any self-configured firewall applications in place that might be contributing to what you're seeing?

Plusnet have sent 3 engineers who say there is nothing at all wrong with my line and when I connect to the bt_test_user@startup_domain account it doesnt disconnect at all. 

Entirely possible. The device that would send a PADT in each of these scenarios terminates your connection at a completely different parts of the broadband network

Plusnet seem unwilling to do any of their own investigation into it and simply keep sending bt engineers over.

I could be wrong (and I don't intend this disrespectfully), but I've a suspicion the investigation might need to happen closer to home. Whatever the weather, I don't think your problem has anything to do with what's being discussed in this thread (if it was, it wouldn't have only started recently, and wouldn't be happening when there's no data being transferred) Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@dvorak wrote:
Can you do the magic please? 

Done.

@storpey, the firmware version will stay the same. This isn't a firmware update that's being pushed to routers (yet!)

@pp, just double-checked and you're router definitely accepted the update I pushed to it. Could be those disconnections were being caused by something else Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

geffers
Grafter

My daughter was having major problems uploading on her Plusnet 2mbps upload fiber system, regular drops.

I think @bobpullen did some wizardry on her router which improved the situation but did not fully resolve it.

It became gradually more stable and has now been online continuously for 34 days so obviously Plusnet are doing something.

Geffers

pp

@bobpullen thanks for checking, yeah could be, strangely the connection was stable following my original post last Tuesday (so I'd thought you'd made the change them until you posted later) through until early hours Friday morning when it started the disconnecting again and the router log having the corresponding events.  I've been away over the weekend so will monitor it this week and if the issues persist will log a ticket out with the support team.

custard777
Hooked

@bobpullen could you do the fix for me too. My hub one seems to have developed this fault in the last couple of days

Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@custard777, you might have to message me your username. The account I'm looking at doesn't seem to have a Hub One associated with it? Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

electroban

I'm on a HH5 on BtInternet does the fix work on my stuff?

electroban

Would this fix work for a home hub 5? am getting hang ups during youtube uploads that effect my entire network stability.

giloi

Hi Bob,

Would you mind applying the fix to our router too please? Uploading large files to Dropbox is pretty much impossible.

Thanks!

ciderman1

@bobpullen. Can you apply the fix to my HubOne router as I've been experiencing the same problems. Many thanks.