cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Notechr

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Hi,

I've followed a link to this page for a fix to the router. I believe you need this info:

Model - Hub One

Firmware - 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 update 02/10/16

Product - unlimited broadband 38-40

Gateway - Failed to ID.  Core2-hu 0-18-0-0.cdindale.ukcore.bt.net (62.172.103.16) 6.099ms

Devices - iPhones, ipad

Uploading - icloud

First started-  3/4 weeks ago

Different router - none available

Thanks

proverbs15-1
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Hello Bob!

its me (proverbs 15) again!!! 

Apparently the problems are back... and now also, even to open a normal  it's dropping... and it's on and off a lot... it's affecting more then my Skype connection... 

Could you help me please?

busra

Hi,

• Make/model of router  Plusnet Hub One
  • Firmware/software version (for Hub Ones you can get this by looking at the footer of the router admin pages)  Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226
  • What product/speed you have, e.g. Unlimited Fibre 40/2, Unlimited Fibre Extra 80/20 etc. Unlimited Fibre 40/2
  • Gateway you're connected to Sorry, the tool failed to identify your gateway  
  • Device being used to upload from e.g. Android Smartphone, Windows 10 machine, Macbook OSX etc. MacBook OSX, iPhone 6, iphone 7, windows 10
  • What it is you're uploading/what service you're using e.g. iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive   
  • When the problem first started  December
  • If you have access to a different router, whether or not the problem affects that too, or if it's just specific to the Hub One No other router available.
asdasdasasdewrd

Hi @bobpullen,

• Make/model of router 
    Plusnet Hub One
  • Firmware/software version (for Hub Ones you can get this by looking at the footer of the router admin pages)
    Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 | Last updated 19/01/17
  • What product/speed you have, e.g. Unlimited Fibre 40/2, Unlimited Fibre Extra 80/20 etc.
    40/2
  • Gateway you're connected to
    psb-ir01.
  • Device being used to upload from e.g. Android Smartphone, Windows 10 machine, Macbook OSX etc.
    Windows 10 
  • What it is you're uploading/what service you're using e.g. iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive
    VPN or a lot of the time nothing
  • When the problem first started
    Since going online on 18/01
  • If you have access to a different router, whether or not the problem affects that too, or if it's just specific to the Hub
    Sorry no access.

Getting a lot of the "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [PPPoE PADT received]" messages in the logs. Are you able to apply fix to my router? Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@asdasdasasdewrd, @busra, @Notechr@Kirkdave, I've made a config change to your routers, let me know if you're still experiencing difficulties.

@proverbs15-1, can't remember whether or not I pushed an update to your router before so I've just given it another go.

@OllyA, can you drop me a private message please and let me know what your account username is?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Notechr

Thanks for the prompt attention Bob.

figgley
Grafter

Er - uploading to "The Cloud" on a Plusnet 40/2 package, I've capped the speed to 220KB/s and, as yet, haven't experienced the problem others have described.

It may be like watching paint dry but when you have 50GB of freebie storage to fill you've just got to get on with it, I reckon.

I may try squeezing it to 225KB/s to see what happens. All those Carry On films have got to live somewhere, mate.

However, @sirbobpullen, I don't like to feel I'm missing out on something so could you, very please, apply your patch to my router?

Many thanks.

Cheerio, figgley.

busra

Thank you so much. Will keep you updated. 

JS2

Hi @bobpullen,

I am looking for the update to help to fix my drop out issues please.

MODEL Hub One

FIRMWARE 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 (28/9/16)

PRODUCT Unlimited Fibre 40/2

GATEWAY pcn-ir01

DEVICES laptops, iPhones, iPads, Xbox one, PS4

UPLOADING TO Dropbox, iCloud

SINCE WHEN October 2016

DIFFERENT ROUTER No

Many thanks.

teamben

HI

I've got the same problem as mentioned by other people on the forum. Can you please look to add this temp patch to my router?

Thanks

• Make/model of router  Plusnet Hub One
  • Firmware/software version (for Hub Ones you can get this by looking at the footer of the router admin pages) Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226
  • What product/speed you have, e.g. Unlimited Fibre 40/2, Unlimited Fibre Extra 80/20 etc. Unlimited Fibre 40/2
  • Gateway you're connected to pcn-ir01
  • Device being used to upload from e.g. Android Smartphone, Windows 10 machine, Macbook OSX etc. MacBook OSX, iPhone 6s, iPhone 5S, iPhone SE, iPad Air, iPad Mini 
  • What it is you're uploading/what service you're using e.g. iCloud. 
  • When the problem first started  February
  • If you have access to a different router, whether or not the problem affects that too, or if it's just specific to the Hub One No other router available.
WWPlus
Dabbler

Purplebadger!

So...I have a very similar set up to you, and I'm suffering an identical issue. Sad
gnuGeek
Hooked

thanks for the "fix" @bobpullen

kmw350
Rising Star

Excuse my ignorance, but when a firmware update like this is rolled out, are they applied automatically to all customers' routers?

I'd like to be sure mine is getting these fixes if & when they are needed.

I suspect this might be the problem I am also suffering - I am having very unreliable upload experiences, with many disconnects when trying to upload larger files.

(uploading to dropbox, google drive, mediafire).

@bobpullen I'd like to ask for the fix to be applied if possible, but more importantly, it would be good to know it will automatically be applied on a permanent basis soon.

Thanks

Thanks

WWPlus
Dabbler

@purplebadger

Edit: this is from the PPP log on PFSense during a disconnection/reconnection, which seems to support the theory about LCP echo requests:

Feb 4 11:59:31 ppp [wan_link0] Link: Leave bundle "wan"
Feb 4 11:59:31 ppp [wan_link0] LCP: state change Opened --> Stopping
Feb 4 11:59:31 ppp [wan_link0] LCP: peer not responding to echo requests
Feb 4 11:59:31 ppp [wan_link0] LCP: no reply to 5 echo request(s)
Feb 4 11:59:21 ppp [wan_link0] LCP: no reply to 4 echo request(s)
Feb 4 11:59:11 ppp [wan_link0] LCP: no reply to 3 echo request(s)
Feb 4 11:59:01 ppp [wan_link0] LCP: no reply to 2 echo request(s)
Feb 4 11:58:51 ppp [wan_link0] LCP: no reply to 1 echo request(s)

So... as I alluded to last night, I have a nearly identical problem to this.

I'm using Plus Net's FTTC, with about 65/17 Mbps connection. To ensure I get the best speed and maximum security (and a load of control) I use a dedicated pfSense box with more resources than any sane person would have given it.

Last year, and particularly during moments of intense use of the connection, the pfSense box drops the connection. Again I was doing some intensive downloads last night, and it repeatedly drops out.

The PPP Log entries are pretty much exactly what you've described above.

I have IPSec set up, but only for mobile clients (certificate authenticated, none connected at the time of any of the drops).

I had seen some other strange things in the logs... for example, my Apple TV and Airport Express seem to borrow each other's IP address (despite DHCP reservations), so I've unplugged the ATV for now. There are some other repetitive logs from xinetd that I'd like to research, but I don't think they're connected.

But in summary, in the middle of a fast download, I get PPP logs as per your example above. I'll refer to the pfSense forums to see if anyone else has something similar and has managed a solution. Given the configurability of pfSense I'm sure there's something I can tweak somewhere.

purplebadger
Hooked

@WWPlus Glad to hear someone else is using pfSense! It's a great platform, and super flexible.

I seem to have resolved my issue by turning off gateway monitoring for the Plusnet connection. What appears to happen is that when the LCP echo fails, pfSense's dpinger resets all the states on the firewall, resulting in a dropped connection (they switched from apinger to dpinger in pfSense 2.3). I also have IPSec enabled (sort of; my mobile phone uses it so I have port 4500 open for my phone to connect outbound which works fine, though I don't have any actual IPSec client configured in pfSense itself).

But yeah, I don't believe it was upload saturation that was causing my problem, it was the fact that when I was maxing out the connection with downloads, dpinger got slow responses from the gateway and caused a reconnect. For reference, in pfSense, go to System > Routing, edit the WAN_PPOE gateway, and disable gateway monitoring and see if that helps. I don't know whether doing that is the reason, or whether Plusnet changed something their end, but I also seem to be getting faster download speeds too (only by a whole MB/s, but at my copper wire speeds, it makes all the difference!).

Out of interest, what kind of modem do you have (i.e. how are you bridging pfSense to the network)? I'm using a Vigor 120.