cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

I think there's more to it than just the Plusnet router as I am using one on the latest firmware (4.7.5.1.83.8.226)  and can allow Onedrive to max out my upload for a sustained period without any problems,

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

Hi all,

Apologies for the lack of updates. I can assure you this is being treated as a priority though.

We're confident we've isolated the cause, and the cogs are in motion towards both a long term fix and a shorter term tactical solution should we need it. I can't provide a specific date because there's stuff that needs developing/testing first, but as soon as there's light at the end of the tunnel I'll let you know.

Appreciate everybody's patience in the interim. I'll do my best to apply manual workarounds to those reporting issues on this thread, but do bear in mind that it's a fairly time consuming and involves me having some spare time to jump on each person's router one by one to make config changes.

@mrosebury@AjayMurudkar@JimJimini@andrewc2102@MKSlinky@Lauradyer & @ColinD - I've just made the changes to your devices so feel free to give things another shot.

@mn, you'll need to drop me a private message because I'm having some difficulty locating your account.

@csjkeir wrote:

@bobpullen, plusnet support have called to offer me a firmware update to my router. Do I want to do this...

No, it's not necessary.

Tillerman wrote:

All seems to be better thus far - certainly no disconnects, but still suffering slow local connections. Looking at the router log, it seems to now trigger DHCP disconnects and lease renewals when the upload rate increases. The frequency of this is still in line with the disconnections I experienced previously.

You're the only one out of 20+ similar changes I've made that continues to report problems, and I don't see this when testing myself Huh Are connected devices physically losing connection to the router then?

@yasminflower, I'd suggest private messaging me with your account username so I can make sure I'm looking at the right account. There's no reason the fix would work for others and not you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ALS57
Hooked

Hi There

My upload of large (200mb) files are failing at around the 42mb mark so desperate to get a resolution please so I can upload a new website to my server.

Bob, I'd appreciate your help on this please

Regards

Al

Tags (1)
mrosebury
Hooked

I turned OneDrive back on this AM to sync my files and once again the line started to drop. OneDrive synchronizes multiple files simultaneously so perhaps the number of concurrent uploads is significant rather than purely bandwidth. Tuning OneDrive down to 512k maximum upload has no affect on stopping the dropped connections.

Router screen reports version Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 | Last updated 22/09/16/

Do I need to force an upgrade? I notice TR069 is supported - is upgrade done automatically?

Tillerman
Dabbler

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad it's being taken seriously by PN as it is rather frustrating. 

Is there no way that those of us affected can be regraded (even temporarily to the 80/20 service whilst this is sorted) - particularly as it takes care of the problem.

With regard to the DHCP disconnects - it presents to the devices as a very sluggish connection with our dropping. On out TV service, it presents as screen artefacts, freeze frames and audio pops.

Can others please log into their router and look at the logs - my DHCP issues are of the same frequency and nature to the previous disconnects.

Thanks...

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Tillerman wrote:

Is there no way that those of us affected can be regraded (even temporarily to the 80/20 service whilst this is sorted) - particularly as it takes care of the problem.

I can't see us doing this. It's extremely time consuming on a case by case basis, and the one-off Wholesale charges aren't insignificant (that's before considering any increased bandwidth consumption).

We're not yet in a position to apply the workaround en masse, and that probably takes less time than a modify order to change the provisioned product.

With regard to the DHCP disconnects - it presents to the devices as a very sluggish connection with our dropping. On out TV service, it presents as screen artefacts, freeze frames and audio pops.

Can others please log into their router and look at the logs - my DHCP issues are of the same frequency and nature to the previous disconnects.

Also interested to know others findings, because now we understand the problem, I'm really struggling to see how it can have any bearing on your DHCP leases Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@Tillerman 

I have to admit that none of our devices here upload anything to the cloud on a regular basis, but have witnessed a drop in connection once which coincides to when my son uploaded a game to a friends server. I've not had 'this tweak' that others have had and uploading small amounts since the game upload has not (to my knowledge) dropped the connection since.

However, the main reason for replying to you is because I also appear to be having DHCP issues, these manifest themselves in to very slow load time for web pages - hitting reply to your post presented a normal top half of the page but lower section was blank (bar the colour that's used on the edges of these forums) - and this is currently affecting all devices. It can get so slow that moving to 4G with a weak signal on a mobile phone is loading quicker than over WiFi.

We have a YV box from PN, we've not witnessed any picture issues but it does become sluggish from time to time.

This issue is either connecting via Ethernet or WiFi. Youtube for example gives the loading circle multiple times. I did initially blame the bandwidth being consumed by his gaming, but it's been like this for two to three solid days now.

BTw speedtests are mostly fine, but have gone into the red more times than I'd like, but just to be clear when the speed is fine, the issue does continue.

The strangest thing is that my PNH1 reports that devices that were connected over a week ago (my children's friends jumping on the WiFi) are showing in the hub as disconnecting on a regular basis - never reconnecting, always disconnecting. Now these devices are at least 1 mile away as the crow flies . I've even deleted them via the hub manager but the event log, home network tab and DHCP page still thinks they have been connected recently and the never ending 'device disconnected' continues.

Devices in use and connected also show as disconnected even though I know they're in use, but this was a normal issue on the BT Home Hub's and I tend to ignore these.

If you're wondering, on 40/2 here too.

I guess the point I'm making is that you're not the only one.

Tillerman
Dabbler

@DS - Thanks for the supporting note and comprehensive description

@bobpullen - I've sent you a PM with a log extract to show examples....

Cheers

DS
Seasoned Champion

No problem at all @Tillerman Wink

I hope it is of some use to those involved.

I would have thought that this DHCP issue is a separate issue to the main upload problem = hub tries to upload over 2Mbps = hub falls over scenario. As already proven, the BT Hub 5 works and these hubs are basically the same so I guess it's either the upload cap that's causing this and/or the firmware written for the PNH1 has a bug in the firmware (as in it's written to upload at up to 10 or 20 or 40Mbps).

But having said that, it could be that the temp' fix has caused this DHCP issue to present itself on to your hub and mine is a separate issue, but in any case I'd also have expected others to have commented on this by now.

(for any forum maintenance bods, this reply page took 15 seconds to load from signing in, not the slowest it's been and certainly the fastest it's been)

proverbs15-1
Dabbler

Hello everyone:

I'm feeling a little bit out of my comfort zone as I don't domain at all none of this technological issues... But 'm looking for some practical help and simple advice.

My internet its dropping constantly since the 15th of January and the main reason I bought this internet service was to be able to talk to my family abroad... After 2 or 3 minutes on Skype  I loose connection... I can't talk with them!  So basically I'm paying for a service that doesn't provide what I need...

Is there anything I can do to improve my communication through Skype? 

Thank you very much!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@ALS57 wrote:

My upload of large (200mb) files are failing at around the 42mb mark so desperate to get a resolution please so I can upload a new website to my server.

Bob, I'd appreciate your help on this please

Hi Al, assuming I've located the correct account, you should be good to go.

@mrosebury wrote:

I turned OneDrive back on this AM to sync my files and once again the line started to drop.

I can see two PPP drops yesterday morning, one at 10:10 and one at 10:22. Since then the line hasn't dropped once. I've just checked and the changes have definitely been applied to your router.

I don't think you're suffering from the same problem though if it's still occurring when you limit the upload to 512kbps. The problem most people are suffering from can be resolved by limiting the upload to 95%, we've found the same from our testing in the office.

Something else is happening here.

FWIW when I've been testing I've been running multiple concurrent uploads to Google Drive, Amazon Drive and One Drive simultaneously and I've seen zero issues since making the changes I've applied to your router. Are you using the local One Drive client or the web interface?

Router screen reports version Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 | Last updated 22/09/16/

Do I need to force an upgrade? I notice TR069 is supported - is upgrade done automatically?

No. The changes I've been making do not affect the base firmware, they're config alterations (that incidentally will not survive a factory reset). You don't need to do anything for them to kick in.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

geffers
Grafter

Folks,

I find this absurd that in 2017 an internet supplier, owned by BT, is not able to resolve this problem. 

These messages are all within plusnet's Forum so can be ignored to a certain extent with no bad publicity. I know they are addressing this problem but there doesn't appear to be any urgency.

If you have a twitter account send complaints to @plusnethelp - that is not good publicity and if enough do it the we might get some action.

Geffers

ALS57
Hooked

Hi Bob

Thank you so much, I'll try things out tomorrow

Cheers

Al

DS
Seasoned Champion

@proverbs15-1 Nice to see your post finally made it to the forums Smiley

You might not be having the same issues as the rest of those on this thread, so it may be moved to another area/section of the forum. If the admin feel you are also one of those suffering then it might stay where it is.

Please clarify the following:

You use a Plusnet Hub One

You have the 40/2 Fibre connection

Do you use a device that connects to the Hub (router) via Ethernet or WiFi

mrosebury
Hooked

Thank you for your reply @bobpullen. My line dropped twice while performing a large sync to OneDrive. It became stable once the sync finished. Uploading a few small files doesn't seem to affect it. I will monitor next time I perform a large sync.