cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

With the old-style Plusnet gateways, you tend to end up on a different one each time you connect. With the new network system, it's more fixed on a regional geographic basis.

uk144
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet fibre broadband does not cope with uploads and will disconnect you...

I am on  psb-ir01

bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

psb-ir01

I think that means you are on the new network, whereas I'm on the old one. That means that me attempting to reproduce your problem is probably not valid anyway. Do we have anyone using a Hub One, on 40/2 and on the new gateway, who could run some upload saturation tests?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What a pathetic excuse from Plusnet - using the line to capacity is NOT a valid reason for disconnects. Without you or any of us spending time on this, it is clearly a fault and you should push it back to Plusnet to sort it out.

Are you using a Plusnet supplied router?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

so basically PN new network , STILL dont work Huh
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'd be very surprised if this is the new network - far more likely to be a specific fault on this line. If it were a generic fault on the new network we'd be seeing way, way more complaints about it.

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

If a user's line had a peculiar fault that only occurred if upstream was saturated for some tens of minutes, would it show up in the tests that PlusNet run in response to a fault report being raised?

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, following that thought process, does the OP's problem still occur if the uplink isn't saturated.

According the the Backblaze website -

Auto throttling or set your own upload limit

Therefore can @uk144 try setting the Backblaze "upload limit" to perhaps 80% of the upload speed result as measured using a speed tester,  and see whether the problem persists.

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

Nibiru wrote:

According the the Backblaze website -

Auto throttling or set your own upload limit

That's a good point. I'm tempted to sign up for a free trial on Backblaze so see if I can make it break my connection too.

I notice they are based on the US West Coast. When I try the speed tester on their website (they use ookla) I get very wobbly results for both upload and download, with a latency of 170ms. Doing a tracert confirms that most of this is accounted for by hops across the US via cogentco.com. If I were looking for a cloud storage provider I would probably see that and look elsewhere, but that's not the point. Doing a ping -n shows a steady time with no packet loss.

kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quick reply by me as I happened to spot this from a link elsewhere, so just chucking a few random thoughts in.

>> A similar case was reported by another user recently where it transpired that the router was being sent reset signals by the remote server because it was detecting excessive packet loss.

Hmmm doubtful about packet loss, but if you interpret 'remote server' as the RADIUS/ Plusnets LNS not detecting activity in a valid session then you could be nearer the mark.

>> PPP LCP Send Termination Request [PPPoE PADT received]

LCP Layer controls the PPP(oE) session which is the link between modem and ISP.
LCP 'wraps' each PPP frame (your data), and has 3 main stages: Configuration & Authentication of the link, Maintaining an open link, Termination of the link. A PADT packet is what is sent by either side to terminate the connection. The big question is why would it do that?
There are various reasons and Im talking off the top of my head here - idle time outs, loopbacks, magic numbers are pointers to start with.

TBH I doubt that its specific to Plusnets network and far more likely related to the modem. Didn't the BT HH5A suffer a similar issue with frequent disconnects that was hard to track down.

The interesting bit is the fix for the HH5A was making a "configuration change" in the firmware - probably implying that its wasn't quite setting up the PPP session correctly.
Bearing in mind that the LNS is likely to be checking connections periodically not necessarily for idle time outs, but say just to clear stale sessions.

What I cant fathom is why it would only occur if the connection was being maxed out on the upstream. I doubt (but could be wrong) that it would be detecting at that layer if the connection had a ton of say TCP connections open.

kitz
Aspiring Pro

Actually another thought from me as I was about to walk away..  
re the HH5A issue (which the PN hub one is supposed to be based on) ...  the reason it was hard to track down what caused it was because it was so sporadic.

I wonder if anyone has time / wants to search...  if it was one of the things mentioned by any of the HH5A users that it happened if they were maxing out the line or using a certain protocols etc.  

jelv
Seasoned Hero

@uk144

What modem/router are you using?

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

What I cant fathom is why it would only occur if the connection was being maxed out on the upstream. I doubt (but could be wrong) that it would be detecting at that layer if the connection had a ton of say TCP connections open.

Could it be (wildly guessing, here) that if the uplink is saturated with user traffic, some kind of keep-alive control signals get delayed, a timeout is sensed and interpreted as a connection fault?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The logs from both users indicate they are using the Plusnet Hub One.

I don't think it's likely that this is a widespread problem with the Hub One and BT HH 5a, if it were then I think it would have been spotted sooner. These can't be the first two people who do some uploading.

I think it's more likely that there's some PPP related problem at Plusnet's end.

I suppose it's possible that the Hub One isn't properly prioritising LCP echo replies, and so when it has got a lot of upload data queued, an LCP echo reply might get lost, and then if the LCP echo requests don't get answered, the remote end terminates the connection.

karjala
Dabbler

I have found that my uploads to Backblaze have slowed to a crawl since yesterday. I'm not getting any disconnects, but am seeing lots of TCP retransmissions. Normally uploads will saturate my 80/20 connection if I let it. Other network operations seem unaffected.