cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre: Still using VDSL modems?

rhydsnewi
Grafter

Plusnet fibre: Still using VDSL modems?

My local cabinet is busily being upgraded to FTTC, so I will be looking to upgrade to fibre soon. My question is do Plusnet/Openreach still supply a white box openreach modem or do plusnet now use VDSL routers?
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Plusnet fibre: Still using VDSL modems?

still a BT modem but for how long we don't know
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As Oldjim says, the engineer still supplies a modem when they come to install the service and we provide a separate router.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
rhydsnewi
Grafter

Thanks. The reason I ask is that I have a Netgear DGN2200v4 currently, which can handle PPPoE and ethernet WAN.
geoberni
Dabbler

Hi
I have similar concerns.
When I first got Plusnet Broadband a few years ago, all was fine and dandy until I needed to install a VIOP phone for an additional line (I work from home a lot).
I was using the Plusnet Modem, with a wired/wireless router (I forget the make/model) to which I then connected a Linksys PAP2 VOIP phone Adaptor. That gave me no end of intermittent problems with the VoIP Phone.
Eventually all this was resolved by binning the Plusnet Modem and separate router, installing a TP LInk TD_W8961ND withe the PAP2 into it. The VOIP Phone has worked great ever since I did that.

So what worries me now is going back to having too many 'boxes' in the system, with the BT Openreach Modem, a Router and the PAP2 for the phone...
Any thoughts from anyone?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am puzzled
I don't remember ever seeing a standalone modem on ADSL or do you mean a router with a built in modem which you used in modem only mode with a separate router
AndyH
Grafter

Openreach are no longer going to provide managed installs (i.e. an engineer comes to your property and installs a faceplate/modem) for orders from 31st August 2015 and they will withdraw support for their installed modems from 1st December 2015.
So we know the very latest when Plusnet will have to have a modem/router solution of their own.
geoberni
Dabbler

Oldjim
When I joined Plusnet some 4 years ago, the choices were a wireless modem/router which had no cabled connections, or the wired modem ( Thomson ST516 Modem) ; as I needed cabled connections and already had a TrendNet 432BRP Router, I  opted for the ST516. But then 3 years ago I needed to extra VOIP Phone, so got the PAP2.
Basically my problems were all caused, as far as I can tell, from having two NAT Firewalls between the PAP2 and the big wide world.
Using the TP-LInk TD-W8961 Modem/Router to replace the PlusNet ST516 Modem and my separate 432BRP Router has worked for the past 2+ years.
So what I don't want to do is create a new mess by having the Modem, Router and PAP2 configuration again...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: geoberni
the choices were a wireless modem/router which had no cabled connections, or the wired modem ( Thomson ST516 Modem)

Quote from: Oldjim
I am puzzled
I don't remember ever seeing a standalone modem on ADSL or do you mean a router with a built in modem which you used in modem only mode with a separate router

According to the Plusnet help pages, the ST516 is a one port ROUTER with built in ADSL modem - SpeedTouch 516v6 1-Port Router
So rather than using a second router (which caused the double NAT problem), all that was needed was an ethernet switch.  Roll_eyes
Using a true modem and a separate router shouldn't cause NAT problems if correctly configured.  Wink
geoberni
Dabbler

purleigh
Well that explains a lot, pity about the many months of asking Plusnet who never came up with that answer at the time!

Actually, having just looked it up, it is described as a 'Modem with built in Router.'
Perhaps at the time the focus of the printed word was on the Modem aspect. All water under the bridge now.
Still, I might just wait a few months and see if Plusnet catch up with the rest of the industry and go for the one unit option. It'll be one less bit of kit sitting in the way...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would always choose to have separate boxes, as the combined devices are always a compromise with some weak point, whereas using separate boxes you can choose the best components (that you can afford), and as your requirements change can upgrade just the features you need without throwing away an expensive all-in-one device.
Having a separate modem also means that you can reboot your router after a configuration change without simultaneously restarting the modem which risks dropping the phone line connection - which could cause DLM to lower your line profile.
I also don't combine WiFi with the router, as I get better wireless performance using separate Wireless Access Points distributed around the house.