cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre... Is it actually fibre though...

MLZ

Plusnet fibre... Is it actually fibre though...

Can someone please tell me why Plusnet's offering of Fibre broadband is so [-Censored-]? Like ever since i moved to Plusnet's fibre broadband not once I have I barely reached the minimum expected line speed.

Despite this, Plusnet did nothing to resolve the issue. They would just say "oh do the BT speed checker" like mate... [-Censored-] HOW IS A SPEED CHECKER SUPPOSED TO HELP?!

Like legit these guys treated me like an idiot and never gave useful help. So I decided to switch provider which i'm currently doing. But, ever since I initiated the switch, my internet is even worst! Yay! Every now and then my PC will just lose connection from the internet. Like not an actual connection, just no connection to the internet... Never really happened before I initiated the switch...

So, again, can someone please explain to me why Plusnet are purposely doing this? They first overcharge me and then punish me for switching from their [-Censored-] service!

I may sound angry, but anyone with at least 4 brain cells would understand my frustration. No doubt i'll get some angry fanboys or some staff replying to this post saying i'm wrong. Like mate. You seriously gonna challenge me on this when you get paid [-Censored-] all for working at the customer service of a ISP... Seriously...

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

8 REPLIES 8
steveocee
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Plusnet fibre... Is it actually fibre though...

To answer your thread title. No. It’s not actually fibre, it’s fibre to your local cabinet, there is still a copper element which is most likely the cause of your problems.

Customer services of certainly the last 3 ISPs I’ve worked for have a set process of what needs to be done and confirmed to enable investigation to take place correctly, whilst others need to appreciate you aren’t stupid, you need to appreciate that it’s a means to an end.

Nobody likes having bad broadband and it is infuriating but the reality is that if there is a line fault, moving ISP won’t help, sometimes it’s worth biting your tongue and going through monotonous testing as it can and does help diagnose an issue faster.

(0 fanboy remarks, I’m staff to an ISP but not PN and I’ve not said you’re wrong)

www.steveocee.co.uk
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"if there is a line fault, moving ISP won’t help"

Maybe, maybe not. I had an ongoing fault which could not be resolved. I knew that the fault would follow me when I migrated from PN.

However, it's the way that the fault is handled that matters. My new provider had the fault reported to OR and it was fixed within days of the migration. It had been present for months prior to being fixed.

" It’s not actually fibre," So by that statement PN are mis-selling? I think you are being a tad pedantic.

From PN website.

"Unlimited Fibre broadband with
Evening & Weekend UK & Mobile Calls

from £24.99 a month 18 month contract"

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @MLZ 

I'm sorry to hear you are moving providers due to this. 

In answer to your Thread Title - yes, it is Fibre Broadband. The service is FTTC rather than FTTP (which is still in its infancy on the OR network). 

We ask you to perform a wired test on http://speedtest.btwholesale.com as this has a function called "further diagnostics" which, when completed, sends to results to us so that we can use them in our testing & fault report which is raised to our supplier. If the speed is lower than it should be then we would first of all ask you complete a few checks internal to ensure the issue is not stemming from your equipment or local network / home environment - and then if needed we raise the fault to our supplier to investigate further and (potentially) send out an engineer. 

I understand that you have began the process of migrating your services away from us, however please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us if you need ever need more assistance in the meantime. 

Thanks.

MLZ

Regardless of the fact that there might actually be an issue with my hardwired connection, the customer service of Plusnet is awful.

And I love how my previous post was censored despite the fact that I censored myself. Good one.

So if you guys actually - ACTUALLY - might know what the issue might be, glad to hear it. But I doubt the help i'll get wouldn't be of any help anyway, knowing this customer service.

If this issue carries onto my new ISP, then i'll get it sorted out because they will actually help and try and fix the issue not like you lazy ****s

Good day Wink

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There's a MAJOR issue with that BT Wholsale Speed tester: it uses FLASH! 

Does anyone (else) still USE flash? I don't have it installed any more.....

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@MLZ sorry to hear this. Line tests are showing your router slightly below expectations.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 44.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 13.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 636.4
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 21:45 to 22:15
Interference Location Customer Premise
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 76.7 55 20 13.8

And your connection from the cabinet to your router is stable:

What speeds are you actually seeing on your hard wired connection?

Do you experience the same problems using a different device?

@paul_blitz wrote:

I'd expect this to change in the not too distant future.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@paul_blitz wrote:

I'd expect this to change in the not too distant future.

=================

Hmm, that was in June..... I guess 4 months isn't "not too distant future" enough Smiley

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@paul_blitz,

We hoped it would change. Unfortunately not much we can do to get it changed other than request it, sorry.