Plusnet error with broadband speed

FIXED
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: Plusnet error with broadband speed

Hi @jimbob81,

I've had a look into this for you today and I can confirm the modify has completed. Everything now aligns to a 55/10 profile. Both on our side and the supplier side.

I've tested things just now with your current connection coming through syncing at 47.2Mbs.

Modify orders introduce a new training period and generally you should notice some improvement as it settles down over the next 10 days.

Your line estimates are between 43 and 62Mbs. So in theory, as you have had a sync of 55Mbs before, it is very likely this should retrain back up to 55Mbs in the next couple of days.

Thanks for your patience. If you don't notice any improvement after the next 10 days please let us know. 

jimbob81
Grafter

Hi @Optimatts 

Thanks for looking into this for me, I will keep my eye on it for the next 10 days to make sure it returns to how it was.

Before this fiasco, when I was provisioned at 80/20 and capped to 55/10, my router synced at about 65Mb and my speed tests were always around 50-52Mb.

It's this level of service that I expect to be returned to, given that I neither requested nor wanted any unnecessary changes to what has been a very stable and consistent connection.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

No worries @jimbob81, thanks for getting back to me.

Keep an eye on things and get get back to us if things don't improve after the training period.

On the 55/10 profile it will never sync above 55Mbs but based on that you should receive similar throughput speeds as before.

Again, I'm really sorry for an inconvenience caused.

jimbob81
Grafter

It's been more than the 10 days now. My sync returned to 55 within a few days, but my speeds are still not back to what they were before the changes.

Speed tests were always 50 before, now they are around about 45. Not a huge loss but also not back to how it was.

The other thing I've noticed is that BT say my IP profile is set at 50.83, is that correct? Another user in the same situation as me has the same issue with IP profile: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Was-on-55-10-now-on-40-10/td-p/1623014/page/2

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @jimbob81,

Thanks for getting back in touch with us. I've tested your line today and I can confirm that you're currently on the 55 download, 10 upload profile, with you currently receiving a downstream sync speed of 52.5Mbps. When you're running your speedtests, are these being done via Ethernet cable or over Wi-Fi? Are they also being performed whilst the router is in the master socket, or whilst it's connected to an extension socket?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jimbob81
Grafter

@TheMightyAJ 

Yes, ethernet connection and using the master socket. My speed tests were consistently 50Mbps using fast.com, BT wholesale or speedtest.net. Nothing has changed at my end.

Attachment shows BT test result with 50.83 IP profile. My router says downstream sync is 54997Kbps

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @jimbob81,

Thanks for confirming this. Looking at your account today I can see that the speeds you're receiving, though on average lower than what they used to be achieving, are performing within the estimated speed range of your line. As such, there isn't really anything that we can do to improve the speeds at this time and it should also be noted that we do expect that speeds can fluctuate from time to time, meaning they may improve again in the future.

If the router's currently plugged into the master socket then the first thing that comes to mind in terms of improving the throughput speed would be to plug the router into the test socket, beneath the faceplate of the router. In some instances this may improve the speeds you're seeing when running your speedtests. We have a guide on how to do this, which can be viewed here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jimbob81
Grafter

My router shows Max Sync rate of around 65 Mbps, which is about the same rate it used to sync at when I was on 80/20 capped to 55, so my line is capable of going faster.

Regarding the master/test socket, I have a filtered face plate. I feel I must stress, again, that nothing has changed at my end. My speed test results were consistently 50 Mbps before the changes made by Plusnet.

You may well be correct that current performance is within the estimated speed range of my line, but that doesn't alter the fact that a change I didn't request has been made to my account and my service has been reduced unnecessarily.

It's frustrating to pay for a service that can be reduced on a whim especially considering yearly price increases.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @jimbob81, though we appreciate you were able to previously achieve higher speeds, as Alex has mentioned it's currently within the estimates.

If you were to raise a fault and we were to raise this to our suppliers, you'd run the risk of an engineer not finding a fault and there's no guarantee they could improve this.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team