Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet error with broadband speed

FIXED
jimbob81
Grafter

Plusnet error with broadband speed

I've just had an email saying the followin:

At Plusnet we believe in being honest and straight talking. We've recently become aware of a problem with your broadband, which means you have been set-up on Unlimited Fibre Extra (66Mbps average download speed) rather than the Unlimited Fibre product (36Mbps average download speed) that you signed up to. 

Which unfortunately is not very clear or straight forward.

I signed up to plusnet about four years ago, and I signed up to the 40/20 product.

Around two and a half years ago plusnet stopped the 40/20 product and I was told I was being moved onto the 55/10 product.

So, if someone could clarify. What product am I now being moved onto and why. I'm happy with what I currently receive. Speedtests show I get about 50 down 9 up, so I certainly don't want moving onto 36Mbps!

Thanks

23 REPLIES 23
Dhaos
Grafter

Re: Plusnet error with broadband speed

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jimbob81 

Have you by any chance renewed your contract since you went onto the 55/10 service? If so you need to check the email to see if Plusnet craftily downgraded you to the 40/10 service as part of the deal. This would be very easily missed.

To be honest I gave up my 55/10 service as to get the best deal you need to threaten to leave unless Plusnet match a competitors current offer on a like for like basis. With only (as far as I know) BT offering something similar there is no scope to get a decent deal. However by going for either 40/10 or 80/20 products there is a lot of other budget ISPs to cite when negotiating.

In my case it cost less with a bit of haggling to upgrade to 80/20 than remain on 55/10.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jimbob81
Grafter

@Baldrick1

No, I've not re-contracted since signing up in 2015. Are they trying to get people off the 55/10 service?

The price isn't too much of an issue, I had no intention of haggling, would just like my service to be left as it is!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I suspect that they are happy to keep you on the old product at the full contracted price and that this is no more than another Plusnet account screw up.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hi there.

It looks like you were on 40/20 long ago which was basically 80/20 capped down by us. When we withdrew this and provided you with 55/10 it looks like we never actually downgraded your service to 55/10.

I've placed an order to correct this and you should be on 55/10 through and through by tomorrow evening.

I've also e-mailed the project owner in charge to request that you're removed from the automated migration work that we're doing on the back of that e-mail you've received.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jimbob81
Grafter

@Gandalf 

I can see that my router is syncing at 55/10 today rather than the 65/15 it's been at ever since I signed up. So it looks like the product change has taken place and my speedtest results haven't been affected.

Many thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear all has gone through.

Let us know if you have any further issues

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jimbob81
Grafter

@MatthewWheeler 

To follow up. On the 7th when my product was switched, my speedtest results were in the region of 52 down 10 up. Today I'm getting about 44 down 8 up. 

I realise it's not a huge drop in speed, but it's a drop nonetheless and my speed has been consistently over 50 for a couple of years, since the last time I had a product change.

Is there any reason I'm now seeing a loss of speed, presumably related to the recent changes on my account?

Many thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm sorry to hear that your speeds have dropped.

It looks like your connection speeds briefly dropped then came back to normal however the profile on our end didn't catch up.

I've now updated the profile for you and dropped your connection manually so you should be seeing higher speeds.

Let us know if this isn't the case

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jimbob81
Grafter

@MatthewWheeler 

Thanks for the help. I'm getting about 48 down 9 up on my speed tests tonight, still not quite the solid 50 down 10 up I've been used to but it's close enough.

You said my connection speeds briefly dropped then came back to normal however the profile on your end didn't catch up... is this likely to happen again and if so will I have to contact you again to get it reset again?

Thanks

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @jimbob81, thanks for your response.

I wouldn't worry - we've now stopped any further changes going through and we wouldn't really expect the profile to need to be change again in the foreseeable future.

By all means, if you experience any further difficulties please let us know.

jimbob81
Grafter

@OskarPapa 

Today my router is syncing at 40Mbps and my speedtest results are less than 40, again, rather than the 55 that it has been for the last 2 and a half years.

This is now getting frustrating.

I did not ask for any changes to my account and when I checked with you I was ensured that my 55/10 service would not be reduced.

Please can this be resolved in a way that it will ensure my service stays at 55/10.

Thanks

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm really sorry about this, the line did get changed back to 40/10 yesterday as part of the same project work mentioned previously. 

I've placed an order to put you back on 55/10 tomorrow and I've spoken with the project owner to make sure your line details are removed from the reports that led to that happening so it won't happen again. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jimbob81
Grafter

@adamwalker 

My router is syncing at 47Mb today and my speed test results are just under 40. So it's still not back to how it was.

Did this product change happen?