cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet down, no DSL light BT modem, BT phone number?

Elliot
Grafter

Plusnet down, no DSL light BT modem, BT phone number?

Our Plusnet Fibre broadband has been down for the past 24 hours (since midday Friday).
We called Plusnet last night (Friday night) who, after trying many things with myself, concluded they'd need to escalate things as the DSL light was off on the BT modem.
The problem is, they told me is get a call back within 72 hours, which is a long time for me to sit and wait to do nothing. If they're talking business days, that could even be Wednesday.
I was hoping to contact BT myself to see if there were any issues in their end.
I'm not sure who to contact.
Is it BT Wholesale? (who are closed on the weekends). BT OpenReach? Standard BT?
5 REPLIES 5
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Plusnet down, no DSL light BT modem, BT phone number?

You cannot contact BTWholesale or Openreach yourself, if you try I doubt they'll tell you anything. Similarly, if BT isn't your ISP, they can't help you, they'll tell you to contact your ISP.
Although you can see problems that affect large areas on the BT website, that doesn't mean any of those problems are affecting you, even if your telephone area code is listed - not every line in those area codes listed will be affected. If the DSL light is off on the BT modem, that most likely indicates that your problem is between the modem and your cabinet.
Elliot
Grafter

I'm guessing they'll look into that as part of the 72 hours.
I hope it's not too long 😕
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Can you let me know the ticket ID or your account username please? (via PM) I can't seem to find your account.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Elliot
Grafter

It's fine, someone from Plusnet called earlier. Someone is coming to have a look tomorrow morning.
I doubt they'll find much on our end personally (but I understand why you'd have to come out anyway). All the equipment here (modem, router etc.) is less than a year old so it's all in mint condition, and nothing has been messed with during that time. The connection just stopped working suddenly. I believe it may be an issue with the exchange or the link between us and the exchange.
I will be at work when they're there, so I'm guessing all they can try to do is get the DSL light working on the BT OpenReach modem since Plusnet's customer support told me to hard reset the router (so without our Plusnet username and password entered into the router's Setup wizard, can they actually test a website?)
adie:quote
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

If there is no DSL light, it's likely to be a problem with the line between your property/cabinet/exchange. Once the engineer resolves the problem with the line, as long as the DSL light comes back on, it's very likely you'll be able to reconnect again without any problems.
If the engineer doesn't have details to get you back authenticated then they will likely complete necessary work to get your DSL light back on.