cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet capped speeds?

Mark777
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet capped speeds?

Many thanks for the info....So why have open reach done this and whats strange this

has happend after renewed contract...who gives the engineer permission to do this

i pay for extra fibre i dont expect to be capped for no reason. 

As i said early on my neighbours are getting 68mbps theres are not capped

I shall wait till open reach sort this out but i am not happy.

someone between plusnet and open reach says capp

who is it  who tells the engineer to do specific lines

Thanks guys for the info and help  but i am not happy paying for something that is

not as i should be.

mac51
Grafter

You need to understand more about how the system works. The "capping" by DLM is not a cap put on by an engineer who is just feeling awkward that day. DLM is a piece of equipment that monitors the performance of the line and allows it to run as fast as possible without letting the connection become unstable. That is, if your line were allowed to run any faster, you would start getting problems with disconnections and errors.

Your line for some reason is not capable of sustaining the same high speeds as your neighbours. This may be due to one of many issues such as poorly performing joints or noise such as cross-talk which is a function of where your pair sits in the cable.

So Plusnet are not guilty of capping your line and the fact that it happened after renewing your contract is pure coincidence. Don't forget, we are being provided with Mb data speeds over a old network that was designed to carry analogue signals up to 3.4kHz. There are lots of things that can go wrong and they frequently do.

Mark777
Dabbler

What the capp has been put on by an engineer

I have been told that my line has been capable of sustaining the correct speed

by a bt engineer who checked my line

i have been getting these speeds 68mbps for over a 2 years

my next door neighbours fibre is at 67mbps  my line is fault checked clear

no noise its been checked mate.

As coincidence of renewed contract  i am not the only one google it

mine happened 2days later coincidence my foot.

Mark777
Dabbler

Open reach has been told to remove the capp

So lets say the capp is removed by the engineer

what your saying is that dlm will set it back by itself again

so why would plusnet ask for my capp to be removed

if it wasnt set by the engineer.

iangilf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

the dlm system is a joke and shouldnt be used in all cases it sometimes cripples peoples good connections at no fault of there own wether theyve restarted there router or for whatever reason its to quick to make adjustments and too slow to put them back if it ever puts it back

its the worst system ever do they use this system in other countries ? or just ours

Mark777
Dabbler

DLM is a joke    In my case can the engineer overide the dlm and keep my proper speed

As i said earlier strange that my next door neighbour is stable at 67mbps

and my line has been tested fully clear.

I can and should get 72/67mbps line tested  and  this is what it always was until renewed contract

and they did up my profile to 72mbps because they lowerd my profile after renewel

I am getting just 49mbps now

I shall just hope plusnet gets them to REMOVE MY CAPPING AT 60mbps

This should never have happened.

Mark777
Dabbler

After a lot of reading about DLM and banded line i have a question for you

As my line is banded or as the letter says capped  will the engineer that is being

sent out to remove it  reset my dlm aswell

Because what i have read is that the dlm has dropped my speed maybe due to router reset i dont know

Surely it would be good practice for them to remove my capp and reset my dlm

that way i would get back my 68mbps which i have lost for 7mths

seems that dlm is dropping my speed further as above reset router and my power cuts.

Just a thought guys

iangilf
Rising Star

make sure you ask them to do that mate the last one wouldnt do it on mine cause he was an [-Censored-] of an engineer and didnt do a thing and blamed plusnet for not authorising it so make sure u ask them bud and dont let them go until they do Tongue hopefully u get a decent engineer

my problem still persists but nothing is being done about it

Mark777
Dabbler

Sorry forgot to ask DLM can drop your speed quickly but how long does it take to increase it

whats the time scale

Mark777
Dabbler

Thanks mate good job ive started reading.

I wont rest till they have sorted this [-Censored-] out.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

iangilf
Rising Star

theres no exact figure on dlm it might never happen till they reset it physically

but plusnet dont like requesting it without good reason and it would save a lot of hassle for people they just dont get it im sure they think were mad requesting for a dlm reset

Mark777
Dabbler

RE done jpg capped

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

DLM used to be a different beast. I was banded for a good year and all I did was change a socket in the house. I think it has improved of late.

What you have to understand is it is automatic and it monitors your line 24/7. Turn off your modem too many times and it might behave as if you have a fault on it. DLM reduced my line recently for some obscure reason but the last couple of weeks it has started to increase my line speed again (up by 3.5Mb). I don't really worry too much nowadays. As long as the thing works and I get a decent through put, I'm happy. While you can compare speeds with your neighbours, you might find crosstalk can also reduce your line speed - I think that is why my speed is coming back up, neighbours away on holiday.

Certainly if your line speed falls below your minimum, get PN to check it. Just fill in a fault ticket but do use a wired connection. WiFi can give strange results. Getting DLM reset used to mean an engineer visit to the cabinet. Not certain if that is still the case.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Mark777
Dabbler

Pn are going to tell Oreach  to reset my dlm

Just a thought will resetting the dlm remove my capp 

or should the capp be removed same time as  resetting dlm

If the capp is was done by dlm yes it should be fine

but if the capp was put on in another way it wont

How can i be sure the capp will be removed after resetting dlm

Confused over this 

Mark777
Dabbler