cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Routers are not good enough - Fibre Dropout

darrelsmith

Plusnet Routers are not good enough - Fibre Dropout

I have been with Plusnet for over 3 years and like the company over the past 12 months the service kept disconnecting and took ages for our devices to get access again this happened many times during the day, Plusnet customer services are very helpful they made my try the usual, change the filter, check everything else that is plugged in etc etc, I even tried my Plusnet router from work, still the same.

It got really annoying when our iphone's started switching over to the 4G and using up all the data and going in to the data cap (£10 per month) for about 6 months with my daughters phone.

Like I said we tried everything and no one could find fault, even the BT engineer said it was OK and then I went it to the Apple shop and he said "change your router", I did, I bought a TP Link AC1200 and Hey Presto! the Broadband is working amazingly.

If your having these problems buy one and put your existing router in the bin, if you have any issues setting it up please contact me and I will help as this has drove me and my family crazy for months.

15 REPLIES 15
heatmeiser

Re: Plusnet Routers are not good enough - Fibre Dropout

I recently received new Plusnet One Hub that replaced my (relatively) trusty model that finally died.

Since then I have had constant drops in connection -  happening several times daily. Obviously Plusnet support is non-existent so I might actually try the new router route.

darrelsmith

Don't hesitate, it will solve your problem, I experienced this for months, now it works like a dream

Greebo1969

I swapped over to new hub1 a couple of weeks ago- previous johnlewis router was stable although range low- I'm getting the same issues for random dropping of Internet & PS4 which used to happily work at 8Mb/s with the JL router, rarely connects or gets speeds of around 100kb/s. I've tried all fixes but I think router is just [-Censored-]. Was it easy setting up the alternate router/modem? 

darrelsmith

Literally 2 minutes of a job, if you struggle feel free to message me and I will help you out.

heatmeiser

darrelsmith

Yes thats it.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

I doubt it very much, that is a cable router and would need a modem to work in a DSL line.

Many people use a BT Home Hub 6 which are cheap and easy to find on eBay.

PC World were doing a good deal on a Netgear D7000 last time I looked, I have one and it works well on my line.

heatmeiser

I'm not sure what you mean by that but I've got fibre rather than dsl.

A quick check on the Plusnet forums show others have used this model with no problems - though some have had to buy a separate modem, which I suspect is what you are meaning? Perhaps those users were still on DSL.
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Standard broadband is delivered with a protocol/format called ADSL

FTTC which is what PN provide uses a protocol called VDSL.

Both delivered over the Telephone line into your home.

The router you linked to earlier is a cable router, and does not have a built in modem so will not work on PN without a modem.

You could set it up as an access point from your PN router, but given the thread title I would have though you want to remove it.

These are the routers on ebuyer that will work as they have a built in modem. https://www.ebuyer.com/store/Networking/cat/Wireless/subcat/Routers---ADSL

Just make sure you pick one that does VDSL.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@heatmeiser  If your device is working without a separate VDSL2 modem it is not the model that you said it is in message #6 of the thread. That is only a router so requires an external modem for any ADSL or VDSL service.🤔

heatmeiser

I haven't said I have one yet. I'm still using my original Plusnet hub (I'm not the op).

But there are various threads on the forums of people successfully using the above router along with a separate £15 modem.

Seems like a decent workaround given the issues that many seem to be having. ie, dropping connection on a daily basis as a result of a crappy router.
darrelsmith

To clarify this is the exact one I bought, its fixed mine and my Sister in Laws too, not sure if it is slightly different from the link posted earlier, I am not an expert but am currently on Fibre Broadband:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Connections-Infinity-Archer-VR400/dp/B01LFGTEI6/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=...

Mustrum
Community Veteran

As will see, that is a VDSL/ADSL router, unlike the one in the earlier link.

Beers on you for saying the other one will work - a little more paying attention if advising others!

heatmeiser

Well spotted! Glad that's cleared up anyway, could have been a pricey mistake!