cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Router Hub one - require depowering daily to maintain download speed

magicspeed

Plusnet Router Hub one - require depowering daily to maintain download speed

I recently joined Plusnet Fibre Extra and is getting a speed of 47Mb (download) and 7Mb (upload) as reported on the router.

The speed will drop to 25Mb for download if I leave it and use it for more than 24 hours without switching the router off and back on again. This speed is observed when no internet traffic is being used (except the speed test itself).

I uses speedtest.net to test the speed. Although the reported connected speed is 47Mb, the maximum download speed seen on speedtest.net is 40Mb and download speed of 6.5Mb.

The BT Master socket is MK4 Openreach without any extension phone/lead connected. The connection must have been stabilised by now as it is over 3 weeks.

Any help is appreciated as I can't be switching the router off and on everyday.

Kind regards,

Vic

6 REPLIES 6
magicspeed

Re: Plusnet Router Hub one - require depowering daily to maintain download speed

As experiment this morning, I once tested the internet speed using BT Wholesale speed test and Speedtest.net.

Both registering a download speed of 20Mb and upload of 6Mb. The BT Wholesale speed test indicted that the IP profile been set to 45Mb for download and upload of 7.5Mb.

This time I did not depower the router, instead I streamed some Youtube to the TV, test repeated still got the slow speed.

I then streamed more Youtube on the PC, test repeated. This time the speed has gone up to around 40Mb.

Does the above test suggest Plusnet/BT is implementing a speed on demand service?

So there is no fault on my Broadband? Could anyone confirm this please?

Many thanks.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Plusnet Router Hub one - require depowering daily to maintain download speed

Hi @magicspeed
Are you conducting the speedtests over WiFi?
If so please try a speedtest on a computer connected to the router by an Ethernet cable.
WiFi speeds can vary especially when the WiFi band is congested with Multiple WiFi signals from neighbours etc.
Regards
Richard

magicspeed

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.
When I mentioned this to my brother, he connected to the router using the physical cable to conduct the speed test. The speed was still around 20Mb.
Kind regards,
Vic.
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

I wonder if there's a phone fault/issue which is causing the dynamic line management, at the exchange, to lower the speed and stabilise the line?

I had this a couple of years ago where I would switch the router off and on when the speeds had dropped. There would be a gradual reduction again until switched off and on again - rinse and repeat.

There was a line fault.

I could, of course, be totally wrong in that assumption!

magicspeed

My brother has bought a BT smart hub off eBay to try and rule out if it's the Plusnet is faulty. Hopefully we can test it when it arrived.
If after trying out using the BT smart hub router and have the same problem, then we will try and contact Plusnet support.

We never had such problem when we were with Sky, Vodafone. The BT master socket is the same without any additional extension.

Kind regards,

Vic.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

There is an acknowledged problem with the Hub One that causes throughout on the 5GHz Wi-Fi channels to drop to ~20-25Mbps after some time of operation. It can always be recovered temporarily with a reboot.

I would have said this is the cause of your problem had you not started the same thing happens when cabled to the router. Are you 100% certain that this is the case?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵