Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Pro

stevemac555
Grafter

Plusnet Pro

Sorry me again...

I've just found the "Plusnet Pro" addon in my account for an extra £5/month and have a couple of questions..

1) I am on Unlimited fibre. Currently at 14518 / 56917 and have a ping to game servers at around 18ms. The FAQ states "With Plusnet Pro latency is lower and ping times are quicker than standard broadband." Does this apply to Fibre? Not sure how I can get much better than an 18ms ping.

2) If I sign up to this, is there any downtime and how quickly is this activated? 

Not 100% bothered about the gaming, but the prioritized VPN traffic would come in handy for work.

Thanks,

6 REPLIES
Fixes: 247

Re: Plusnet Pro

it really wouldn't serve any purpose for you.

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 63

The only effect you are likely to notice is an extra £5 per month on your bill. Roll eyes

This add-on was useful on legacy products subject to major traffic shaping but not for the current range of products. It remains available to give customers the choice, but I'd be surprised if you noticed a difference.

David
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 19

Hi stevemac555,

I have always found that this add on is great for customers on longer lines but sometimes with our new fibre products its not necessary to have it. If you did take the add on though there will be no downtime.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Ben Babinski
 Plusnet Help Team
stevemac555
Grafter

Thanks all. 

It does seem a bit misleading seeing this as an addon, with the descriptions of reducing latency, prioritising traffic etc. if in fact, it does nothing at all for my connection?

I actually clicked 'Add' thinking it would give me more details/confirmation but it seems to have been applied straight away. I'll see if it makes a difference this month and cancel if not.

Thanks,

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

OOOPs you just wasted a £5 Shocked

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 63

A pictorial representation of what the Pro Add-on does is shown by comparing the left hand and right hand frames in the following screen shot. This came from the UserGroup Product Comparison Tool (http://usergroup.plus.net/newprodcomp.php). I selected Plusnet Unlimited Fibre and Pro Add-on from the drop-down selectors. The coloured data remains valid though the admin data at the top (removed on the image) relates to what is now a legacy product.

ProdCompProFibre.png

In principle it's fair to say it *does* do what it says on the tin for your connection, but the question is really "would you notice?". My personal view is that you won't but trying it will show for sure.

There is a tendency to think that the picture shows P2P traffic is slowed down - but that isn't the case; it's priority is reduced but it downloads at line speed provided nothing with higher priority (eg streaming) is competing for the available bandwidth. Generally for fibre customers bandwidth availability is not a problem.

I hope this helps your understanding of what the add-on does. Smiley

David