cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub and Netgear Orby Query

bermudianbrit

Plusnet Hub and Netgear Orby Query

Hi all,

I have just acquired a Netgear Orby mesh WiFi system, since I will be moving to a bigger house soon and need the coverage.
I understand that plugging this into the Plusnet Hub 1 results in double NAT, since the Hub1 cannot act as a modem only.
My question is: to what extent to I care. I am not a gamer. I do torent on ocasion, and I do use VPNs for my work (including where IT support at my office needs to remote into my work laptop) but I doubt that this requires true port forwarding. I am on Fiber extra, so will this double NAT affect my speeds?
What online speed testing service is everyone using? I can certainly run the test myself to check that.
If I should care, any recommendations for a cheap VDSL2 modem that can handle fiber Extra? I also heard about people setting up a DMZ in the Hub1's advanced settings. Is this an avenue I should consider?

Thanks

Matt

1 REPLY 1
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Plusnet Hub and Netgear Orby Query

Double NAT wont affect te speed very much but it is likely to give problems wit Vpn.

Simplest option, if it's possible, would be to configure the Orbi in access point mode. That way you get the advantage of the better wifi coverage and no double NAT problems

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.