Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One controls...

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Plusnet Hub One controls...

Silly question maybe – and one that has probably been asked before (I did look…) but can anyone tell me exactly what the difference is between using the Reset at the rear of the router and the Restart at the top of the router?  Restarting can sometimes be used to mean switching on and off but as a specific button has been provided on the router marked Restart I presume it’s not the same as switching it on and off…

I’ve been re-arranging cables around the router/telephone, trying to tidy up and wishing to see if what I’ve done has had any effect (good or bad…).  Should I turn the router off, leave it for a while then turn it on again or should I select either Reset or Restart? I understand that doing these too often can cause the router to sync at a lower speed, is this true and what would be considered too often – once a day, once every couple of days?

4 REPLIES 4
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Plusnet Hub One controls...

The way I look at it is like this:

A restart restarts the connection.

A reset resets any user made changes to the router and clears out junk retained on the router.

But, copied directly from the hubs help pages (so you didn't look there ;)):

Reset

This page allows you to reset your Plusnet Hub to its factory default settings. (The firmware version isn't changed). Please note this is different from a simple restart of your hub, you will lose any additional settings you have added. It is equivalent to pressing the pinhole button on the hub.

You may wish to consider backing up your settings via the ‘Backup/Restore’ menu, before resetting your hub.

Click on Reset my Plusnet Hub to reset the Plusnet Hub.

When you've reset your Plusnet Hub

While your Plusnet Hub is restarting (which may take up to two minutes), your computer will lose connection to the internet and the Hub Manager. Please wait until the Plusnet Hub has finished its start-up process before you continue using your Hub Manager or browsing the internet. You may need to close and re-launch your browser to continue surfing.

Your Plusnet Hub is reset and ready for normal use when the light on the front of it glows steady blue.

Restart

Use this page to restart your Plusnet Hub.

While your Plusnet Hub is restarting (which may take up to one minute), your computer will lose access to the internet and the Hub Manager. Please wait until the Plusnet Hub has finished its start-up process before you carry on using your Hub Manager or browsing the internet. You may need to close and re-launch your browser to continue surfing.

Your Plusnet Hub is ready for normal use when the light on the front of it glows steady blue.

Hope this helps?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Powering the router off and back on once or twice a day, whilst you shouldn't need to shouldn't be an issue. Let us know if you suspect a problem and I'll be able to run some checks for you. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

DS – thanks for your input.  I think I understand things a bit better now.  I presume that a reset also restarts the router – after re-setting and returning to factory default any changes made by the user?  Otherwise if no changes had been made pressing the reset would have no effect at all and the router would just carry on working as if nothing had happened…    

>>>…copied directly from the hubs help pages (so you didn't look there 😞 <<<

I stand suitably chastised, I will spend the next two hours sitting on the naughty step Embarrassed

adamwalker – thank you also for the offer of help…

I have no problem with my broadband, just curious about how things work really.  We had a power failure recently and when the power returned my router had synched at a higher speed – a much higher speed…Sadly it only lasted for a couple of days then when I got up one morning it had synched back down to a lower speed – my normal speed - during the night.  I’ve been having a tidy up around the router/phone area and didn’t want to upset things by unplugging things accidentally.

Thanks again.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

DS – thanks for your input

No problem Wink

I presume that a reset also restarts the router – after re-setting and returning to factory default any changes made by the user?

Yes and no I think. I've not done a quick press of the reset button for many years, so actually can't remember how much of a reset this actually does. The 20 second(ish) press and hold of the reset button will restore the hub to a BNIB state, albeit with the last firmware it was running, not the firmware is might have come with.

You can backup your hub settings in the form of a config file, save it to a laptop for example, then if the hell-p desk or someone on here asks you to factory reset your hub, you can do safe in the knowledge that you can quickly restore your chosen settings!!;)

I stand suitably chastised, I will spend the next two hours sitting on the naughty step

And NO talking please!! Cheesy

(the hubs pages are quite useful, plus I may or may not have read them a few times myself ;))