cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One - browsing to, or otherwise accessing, attached USB stick

gbpnc

Plusnet Hub One - browsing to, or otherwise accessing, attached USB stick

I'm new to Plusnet Fibre and the Hub One.
I'm trying to find out how to access a USB stick attached to my Hub One (whilst using a Windows 7 computer). I have seen in my Hub One's advanced settings (under Network) that the router knows that the USB stick is connected.
I previously had a Talk Talk router which, like the Hub One, had a USB socket into which the same USB stick was plugged. I think I recall there was a Talk Talk support page which helped me set up access to the USB stick as network-attached storage but cannot find a similar Plusnet support page. I recall setting a user name and password for accessing the USB stick over the network.
My recollection is that it would show up, represented by a yellow folder icon, in Windows Explorer, presumably as something I browsed to under "Network".
I'm currently unable to find my network-attached USB stick in Windows Explorer.
I might reformat the USB stick, in case anything Talk Talk-specific has been done to it.
If anyone can direct me to an appropriate help page, or tell me where I am, or might be, going wrong, I'd welcome the info.
5 REPLIES 5
sully666
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Hub One - browsing to, or otherwise accessing, attached USB stick

bales1983
Grafter

Im not at home with my hub one right now so going from memory here Smiley im sure when I clicked on network in windows 7 it was showing just as another network PC by default under the name 'PlusnetHub1' or similar?
When your logged into the router and under home network what happens if you click on the usb device, I know if you click on any other device that's currently connected you get options to assign a name and ip address to a particular device, just wondered if there are options in usb?
As I say not home ay present but if your no further by about 7pm I can definitely have a dig around then Smiley
gbpnc

Thanks, both, for the responses.
The link provided by sully666 gave me the information I needed. Simple when you know how!
On Windows 7, either of \\192.168.1.254 or File://192.168.1.254, entered into the address/path area at the top of the Windows Explorer window, was sufficient to browse to the contents of the USB stick attached to the router.
I see that the File://192.168.1.254 option was mentioned in the BT article in the context of using the Windows Start button to "Search programs and files", though it also worked when entered into Windows Explorer.
Right-clicking on the drive, if I'm recalling correctly, as displayed in the lefthand panel of Windows Explorer, gave me the option of mapping the USB stick to a drive letter. Having done that, it is listed in the lefthand panel of Windows Explorer under Computer, as a drive letter (as well as in the righthand panel of Windows Explorer as a Network Location). Having mapped the USB stick to a drive letter, as an alternative to finding the drive among the entries in the lefthand panel of Windows Explorer and double-clicking on it, I can simply enter the relevant drive letter in the address/path area at the top of Windows Explorer.
Interesting that, when I previously followed instructions to use a USB stick plugged into a Talk Talk router, the instructions recommended restricting access to the USB stick with a user name and password, something which is not suggested by the BT help page. Wonder whether Talk Talk give credence to the possibility of a local network drive being accessible to mischief makers on the Internet. Not sure whether setting up a user name and password for the USB stick is a wise precaution or something for the paranoid. Of course, what's wise and what's paranoid may depend on the nature of the content which could potentially be exposed. Aside from the possibility of restricting access to the USB stick, I also have the option of using encryption software which came with it. I think I recall seeing one or more complaints about vaults encrypted with that software becoming corrupt and material being lost. Can try it for myself, I guess, whilst trying to remember never to trust the USB stick - and, more so, never to trust an encrypted vault on the USB stick - with the only copy of anything. If the USB stick did become accessible from the Internet, the risks would not necessarily be confined to the content on the USB stick being read. I wouldn't want to allow strangers to write to it and, potentially, cause me to host unpleasant content. Is the networked-attached storage more exposed to the outside world than, say, my C: drive, I wonder. (Of course, I use a firewall. Very occasionally, I get a report that it is turned off and am prompted to turn it on - and I'm not sure whether it provides protection from the moment the computer is switched on; there's a lot which goes on when it starts up and the process is not quick!)
Also interesting that I changed the name of the USB stick in the router's advanced settings but, so far as the network is concerned, the USB stick is usb1, which matches neither the original name which was shown in the router's advanced settings nor the new name I chose.
grayerbeard
Dabbler

To set up a Master Back Up Drive plugged in to the Plus Net Hub One to back up your files in case a computer fails.

On Windows 10.and would be similar for earlier versions.

Right click on windows Icon

select "Run" and Enter \\192.168.1.254

In file explorer you will see an item "usb1" has appeared  under Plus Net Hub One.

Click on it and window will appear asking for credentials.  Enter your Hub admin credentials. (admin and the password on that little card).

Then right click and select "Map Network Drive" and select a spare drive letter. (I use "X:")..

Now in explorer you have the drive that is on the hub appearing as if it was on your computer.  You can repeat this for every PC you have.

Then what I do is use a free backup program I have downloaded called "All Sync" (There are others) to synchronise  files to that that drive periodically from all laptops and desktop PCs.   That way if your Laptop HD dies no data/pics  are lost and instead is saved on the SSD USB drive I have plugged in to the hub. 

paulharsley

Thank guys I'm dual booted with windows and ubuntu and this was perfect for accessing the drive in Windows and mapping it. I wish to share though that through some digging on other areas of this forum I found a guide which was more relevant to me (for my Ubuntu installation). However if any other Ubuntu users find themselves here trying to achieve what is much easier in Windows, this guide may help:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2014/08/map-network-drive-onto-ubuntu-14-04/

Thanks again. Merry Christmas!