cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One Router - bundled cable twisted?

bales1983
Grafter

Plusnet Hub One Router - bundled cable twisted?

HI all,
Just wondering if anyone was in the know about this, I am curious to know if the RJ11 lead in the Hub One bundle was straight or twisted?

Im assuming it will be a cheap straight lead but i hear some ISP's are providing better twisted ones so just thought id ask Smiley

Many Thanks
Lee
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Plusnet Hub One Router - bundled cable twisted?

straight.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
osfan
Dabbler

The one that was in the Hub One box that I received is white with yellow ends, but it appears to be Straight
bales1983
Grafter

Thanks for the information guys Smiley Further to this has anyone had experience with the real world benefits of a twisted lead?

Lee Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

not on fibre, adsl it gave a little more oomph.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
osfan
Dabbler

Sorry I misread your question I thought you meant the Ethernet cable not the phone cable. Phone cable is flat with grey ends. It's marked 26AWG which should be better than for instance 28AWG so the conductor wires have larger radius, and lower resistance / length. It shouldn't make much difference unless the RJ11 cable is very, very long, or is at a length where it is in effect acting as an aerial for a source of radio interference. Twisted should in theory reduce interference.
Simple to test, use another RJ11 cable, and see if you find any difference. Or make your own up using a pair of RJ11 connectors, and a section of Cat6 shielded cable, make the cable as short as you can within reason.
Or just check out online auction sites, and get a shielded twisted RJ11 cable, a 1m cable should be around £5.
You may get a fraction more from your line, but if your line is giving you 73Mb/s before, and you get 74Mb/s you're unlikely to notice the difference.