cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One FTTC router - automatic update & remote management - requirements

BusterRaid
Dabbler

Plusnet Hub One FTTC router - automatic update & remote management - requirements

I'm trying to work out what's required to enable and disable the automagic update & remote management facility of this router.

I see this in the log files of the router:

13:30:30, 02 Sep.

( 1123.360000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host
13:30:30, 02 Sep. ( 1123.310000) CWMP: Server URL: https://ceased.tr69.p; Connecting as user: ACS username
13:30:30, 02 Sep. ( 1123.300000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '0 BOOTSTRAP,4 VALUE CHANGE'

Is this to do with the router checking for updates?

Regardless...:

• Is there anything that must be enabled on the router for the automatic update check to succeed?
  • Are there any explicit ports that must not be blocked by the firewall to ensure the update succeeds?
  • Are there any settings that can affect the success of the update that are controlled by the tools available in the Plusnet "Members Section" web site (e.g. "Automatic router configuration")?
  • Is there a way of completely disabling the remote update and remote management capabilities of this router?

This router seems to allow faster speeds than the Draytek I normally use but quite disappointing in terms of configurability.

4 REPLIES 4
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Plusnet Hub One FTTC router - automatic update & remote management - requirements

@BusterRaid

I can't comment on any of your questions but I found that my old Draytek 2820 plus an Openreach modem was marginally faster than the Hub One. I get somewhere in the high 50's (57/58Mb/s) down and about 17Mb/s up.

I quite fancy the Draytek 2860 but I don't fancy it £200 + to eliminate the Openreach modem.

I am the satisfied customer....
BusterRaid
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet Hub One FTTC router - automatic update & remote management - requirements

There's not much in the speed difference TBH. Due to frequent tinkering on my part the router is often rebooted, which i believe to cause Plusnet to throttle the line.

Previously, we lived in Wythenshawe, Manchester and had a blistering 2Mb but now we no longer live in the Northern Powerhouse but on the edge of a midlands town we get an entirely (at the moment) acceptable 11Mbs, despite all the reboots.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@BusterRaid

If you disconnect a lot, the Openreach equipment in the fibre to copper box will attempt to make things more stable which has the effect of slowing things down, however 11 Mb/s for a fibre connection seems very slow.

Depending on why you tinker and require reboots, the safest set up might be to use the Hub One connected to the line and the Draytek connected to the Hub One. That way any reboots on the Draytek won't be seen as connection drops by Openreach and in time your line will be seen as more stable and perhaps deserving of a speed increase.

I am the satisfied customer....
BusterRaid
Dabbler

Excellent idea. Thank you.