cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One - Disable NAT or Enable Bridge Mode?

thedyes0
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Plusnet Hub One - Disable NAT or Enable Bridge Mode?

Hi,

How can I disable NAT or enable Bridge mode on a Plusnet Hub One?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Plusnet Hub One - Disable NAT or Enable Bridge Mode?

You can't.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

What is it you are trying to do?

There may be another way!

thedyes0
Rising Star

@Browni wrote:

You can't.

Hmm 😕 

@Mustrum wrote:

What is it you are trying to do?

There may be another way!

I'm using 2x routers in the house (1x BT Homehub 5 & 1x Plusnet Hub One) to extend the network in my house/garden but it's causing issues with some of my devices, most work fine but some don't.

Router 1 (Plusnet Hub One)
- Provides wifi and ethernet connections to the main part of the house.
- Setup 192.168.1.1 with the dchp range set to 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.253 on the subnet of 255.255.255.0

Router 2 (BT Homehub 5)
- Provides wifi and ethernet connections to the rest of the house and the full length of the garden.
- Setup on 192.168.1.2 with dchp disabled, firewall disabled, dmz to 192.168.1.1 enabled and on the subnet of 255.255.255.0

My Raspberry Pi for example is running OSMC (Ubuntu + Kodi/XBMC) and it can't access homegroup folders when it's connected to router 1 (the computer with the shared homegroup folders is connected to router 2)

I've also tried my friends Plusnet Hub One instead of the BT Homehub 5 router (I know they're both basically the same)

I've looked around and several people mentioned that it's to do with NAT and by enabling bridge mode it should disable NAT between the two router. I even found a post this morning on a different site where someone was having pretty much the exact same issue.

EDIT: Fixed typo

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Have you tried setting router 2 to 192.168.1.2?

thedyes0
Rising Star

My bad, I meant to type 192.168.1.2 for router 2. So yes it is already setup like that.

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Have a look into runing an mDNS repeater, I get this sort of issue with my mostly static setup with 3 rpi's, Airprint gives me trouble etc... Have a mooch at that idea, I guess your running samba/avahi-discover on the pi and other ?

pwatson
Rising Star

How are the routers plugged together?  

Typically you can make this work by using the second router as a switch:

Configure the router plugged into the line as normal with DHCP etc

Configure the second router with its management IP address within the LAN subnet of the first router and outside the DHCP scope.

Turn off DHCP on the second router

Plug a LAN port on the fist router to a LAN port on the second router (not the WAN port)

Optionally configure the SSIDs, RF channel and wireless security identically on both routers for seamless roaming

thedyes0
Rising Star

@30FTTC06 wrote:

Have a look into runing an mDNS repeater, I get this sort of issue with my mostly static setup with 3 rpi's, Airprint gives me trouble etc... Have a mooch at that idea, I guess your running samba/avahi-discover on the pi and other ?

I've had a look today, do you have any good links to explain a rough setup as I can't find anything that makes sense for what I am doing.

@pwatson wrote:

How are the routers plugged together?  

Typically you can make this work by using the second router as a switch:

Configure the router plugged into the line as normal with DHCP etc

Configure the second router with its management IP address within the LAN subnet of the first router and outside the DHCP scope.

Turn off DHCP on the second router

Plug a LAN port on the fist router to a LAN port on the second router (not the WAN port)

Optionally configure the SSIDs, RF channel and wireless security identically on both routers for seamless roaming

They are already connected exactly how you said and it is working how you said, but while the network works for the most part this specific thing isn't working correctly.

I had a different go today and it appears that the Raspberry Pi cannot connect to internet at all, the setup is as follows (image found on a different website)

gIKZfAY

Is there a way to setup a static IP address via the router? (even if it doesn't show in the list under "Home Network")

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Power line adapters more than likely causing the issue you describe

erm, you can get cheap routers off ebay and run something like this maybe ?

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Not sure if this helps of not, but the HH5 normally reserves the first 63/64 IP addresses so when using it's DHCP the first one is 64 or 65. Not sure about the Hub1 if it does the same or not, but in case it just does not like it, why not allocate a higher address?

thedyes0
Rising Star

That can't be the issue...

Router 1: 
IP: 192.168.1.1
DCHP: 192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.253

Router 2:
IP: 192.168.1.2 (Outside of Router 1's DCHP)
DCHP: Disabled (Disabled to allow Router 1 to decide)

PC with shared folders:
IP: 192.168.1.110 (Way outside the first 32/64 ips)

Raspberry Pi/XBMC/Kodi:
IP: 192.168.1.199 (Way outside the first 32/64 ips)

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

pwatson
Rising Star

OK, complete red herring about router settings then.  Absolutely nothing to do with bridging etc.

Diagnostic questions:

1. Can the Windows PC connect to the Internet?  If yes, your routers are plugged correctly and the extended network is working fine.

2.  Can you ping 192.168.1.1 from the Raspberry Pi?

3.  Does the Pi work if connected directly to the main router?

4.  Can you ping the desktop PC from the Pi?

5.  Can you ping 8.8.8.8 from the Pi?

6.  Can you ping www.bbc.co.uk from the Pi?

Mustrum
Community Veteran

"Router 2:
DCHP: Disabled (Disabled to allow Router 1 to decide)"

If as you say Router 2 is a HH5, then humour me, give my suggestion a go. If 192.168.1.2 is one of the internally reserved addresses, even though DHCP is switched off, there may be some other programming that messes up the settings! I know it does not follow logic or convention, but hey what do you have to lose?

thedyes0
Rising Star

@Mustrum wrote:

"Router 2:
DCHP: Disabled (Disabled to allow Router 1 to decide)"

If as you say Router 2 is a HH5, then humour me, give my suggestion a go. If 192.168.1.2 is one of the internally reserved addresses, even though DHCP is switched off, there may be some other programming that messes up the settings! I know it does not follow logic or convention, but hey what do you have to lose?

I'm currently using 2x Plusnet Hub One routers (friend has the HH5) so I can play around with his hub to try and get it working.

Just to make sure, your suggestion is for me to change the second router's IP from 192.168.1.2 up to one like: 192.168.1.198 (1 before the pi)

@pwatson wrote:

OK, complete red herring about router settings then.  Absolutely nothing to do with bridging etc.

Diagnostic questions:

1. Can the Windows PC connect to the Internet?  If yes, your routers are plugged correctly and the extended network is working fine.

2.  Can you ping 192.168.1.1 from the Raspberry Pi?

3.  Does the Pi work if connected directly to the main router?

4.  Can you ping the desktop PC from the Pi?

5.  Can you ping 8.8.8.8 from the Pi?

6.  Can you ping www.bbc.co.uk from the Pi?

Re:

1. Yes, I've been using this windows PC for 7+ years in the same setup (different routers over the years)
  2. I can't say I know how to ping from the Pi
  3. How can I test that? I don't have a way see the screen from the hallway & I don't have a long HDMI cable to make it reach.
  4. Same as 2.
  5. Same as 2.
  6. Same as 2 (However, a few days ago when I tried I was able to download updates, stream on certain addons... etc so the answer was yes, however it is acting different today.)