cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fibre with BT Basic line?

Ripplyuk
Grafter

Plusnet Fibre with BT Basic line?

Could anyone tell me if this is possible? I believe it is ok to have standard broadband on a BT Basic line but I'm not sure if fibre will work.  I've used the live chat service but still haven't got a clear  answer.
19 REPLIES 19
Eggs
Rising Star

Re: Plusnet Fibre with BT Basic line?

The answer is absolutely 100% yes.
I have been with Plusnet Fibre just over a week and have a BT line, rented from BT, still rented from BT and continuing to be rented from BT. I've always had a BT line.
This house has only ever had a BT line, rented from BT.
Hope that is definitive enough.
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Totally agree with the above.^^^^^^^^^ Smiley
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Eggs

What is not definitive is whether Eggs has a BT Basic line or not and that is what Ripplyuk's question is about.
Quote from: Ripplyuk
I believe it is possible...to have standard broadband on a BT Basic line but I'm not sure if fibre will work.  I've used the live chat service but still haven't got a clear  answer.

Edit Reading here it would unfortunately appear not http://www.bt.com/includingyou/bt-basic-broadband.html
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: Eggs

No, because you're missing what BT Basic is. It's a specific product for those on low incomes.
This thread suggests it might be possible, http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4789355 - this suggests not http://btplc.com/Inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBasic/BTBasicBroadband/index.htm
It will need one of the PN team to give you a definitive answer.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Eggs
Rising Star

In my own defence I was assuming a "basic line" was the copper line from the premises to the cabinet.
Sorry. Didn't realise there was anything different.
All I can say is it is possible to rent a BT copper line with Plusnet fibre to the cabinet.
I wanted to be definitive yet only succeeded in adding yet more confusion.
jem16
Grafter

Quote from: dvorak
It will need one of the PN team to give you a definitive answer.

Can anyone from the CRT give a definitive answer on this please?
I sent the OP here from MSE forums and said they would get the best help on the forum as the Chat support line was anything but useful.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I imagine the OP is referring to FTTC when s/he refers to 'fibre' so this answer may not be relevant here, but I know someone who has BT Basic and FTTP.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Sorry this hasn't been picked up yet.
It's actually not possible if BT Basic is on the line. It's a product that is incompatible with us. Apologies for this.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
jem16
Grafter

Quote from: MattyC
It's a product that is incompatible with us.

Out of interest can you tell us why it's incompatible? Is it only incompatible with FTTC or incompatible with ADSL BB too?
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

I suspect that it's a paper incompatiblity rather than a technical one. BT Basic is a cut down service for people on low incomes. BT Basic appears to have been forced on BT by Ofcom under their PSO (Public Service Obligation). Very likely it is operated at a signifcant loss so it's not unreasonable for BT to restrict what it can be used for.
The argument will be that if you can afford 'premium' fibre broadband you should be able to afford the full telephone service.
Meanwhile what BT are offering is:
http://www.bt.com/includingyou/bt-basic-broadband.html
adie:quote
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: Andrue
I suspect that it's a paper incompatiblity rather than a technical one. BT Basic is a cut down service for people on low incomes. BT Basic appears to have been forced on BT by Ofcom under their PSO (Public Service Obligation). Very likely it is operated at a signifcant loss so it's not unreasonable for BT to restrict what it can be used for.

They are not making a loss on BT basic, as far as line rental goes  the Wholesale price of line rental is around £5.00 per month ,and i know that those with BT basic could have a broadband service with another provider in the not too distant past,  BT retail appear now to offer 2 basic  products , BT basic (line rental & small credit for calls) and BTbasic +BB
As said there is no reason technically why BT basic  customers cannot have bb or FTTC bb from another provider,  and FTTC  is as cheap now as ADSL is And i wouldn't describe it as a premium product either
Also you have to take into account that Plusnet is owned by BT so them not taking BT basic customers is to be expected why would they? they want to sell you line rental

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/4216414-bt-basic-compatibility.html?fpart=all&vc=1 Suggests that PN bb is available to BT basic customers or was
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

If they aren't making a loss they are making a much smaller profit and given recent rises in line rental that are apparently trying to compensate for discounts in the broadband market I suspect that overall BT are making a loss on that service especially if they took FTTC. That would be a service (FTTC) subsidised by a discounted service (voice) which is surely going to be a loss. BT Basic is a 'cheap as possible' voice service. I think it reasonable to say that it should only be used in conjunction with a 'cheap as possible' data service.
The only time I might make an exception is if someone is on a very long line and suffering sub-2Mb/s speeds but could get considerably better speeds on FTTC due to closer cabinet position.
Quote from: deathtrap
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/4216414-bt-basic-compatibility.html?fpart=all&vc=1 Suggests that PN bb is available to BT basic customers or was
I agree that MattyC's response is a little ambiguous there. MattyC - can you confirm that PN can provide an ADSL service on BT Basic, but just not a fibre one?
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: Andrue
If they aren't making a loss they are making a much smaller profit and given recent rises in line rental that are apparently trying to compensate for discounts in the broadband market I suspect that overall BT are making a loss on that service especially if they took FTTC. That would be a service (FTTC) subsidised by a discounted service (voice) which is surely going to be a loss. BT Basic is a 'cheap as possible' voice service. I think it reasonable to say that it should only be used in conjunction with a 'cheap as possible' data service.

That's no more than your opinion, In my opinion BT have been shafting all voice customers for too long hiking line rental & call prices sometimes twice in a 12mths period in the recent past meanwhile the wholesale cost  has fallen,  I don't want or have BT sport I don't want or have BT consumer branded broadband products, But i and the rest of us who also don't have those services , are subsidising them 
And if you have some one who becomes unable to work through illness or loss of employment , who already has a FTTC service with another provider, why shouldn't they be able to take advantage of BT basic for line rental  and retain their existing FTTC service, ? Also the price of FTTC services are really no greater than  ADSL
Unless you count the rubbish often usage capped  products,
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Our broadband orders usually get rejected by BT Wholesale, and we usually get a flag saying incompatible products. Not limited to these, but here's a few examples of when it happens:
- Carrier pre-select on the line
- New BT lines, that don't yet reflect in Openreach records (if this is the case we wait a day or two before again submitting your order).
- An alarm system which is using the telephone line (e.g. BT's Redcare).
- Some call restrictions (e.g. if you have Incoming Calls Only on your line).
- Switchboards or non PSTN lines (e.g. ISDN)
- Social telephony (BT Basic)
This is an excerpt from the online handbook:
Social Telephony Products
Social Telephony is the generic term for products that are designed for customers who rarely use the telephone. BT Retail and Kingston Communications (in Hull) provide these services under the Universal Service Obligation.
If you offer Social Telephony products, you must be registered with Ofcom as a Social Telephony provider. This means you can flag lines that deliver Social Telephony services.
We will validate your service request from a list of Social Telephony providers that Ofcom provide us with.
A line with Social Telephony products on it cannot be transferred between communications providers, without the product first being removed. This is your customer’s responsibility.

I'd like clarification on if it's a physical limitation, or if we get this as a telling off as we're not allowed. Will update the thread once I have it.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet