Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fibre to Fibre Extra - No speed change yet

FIXED
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Plusnet Fibre to Fibre Extra - No speed change yet

Hi @Mannam ,checking your connection from this side we can see the conenction hasn't dropped in 20 days and we are and have been detecting 52.2Mbps download getting to the router both now and for the last 15 days or so. I'm leaning towards the cause of the intermittent speeds you are seeing then to be wireless interference especially given you said that soon after a restert you see the speeds return to where you'd expect them. By all means to make sure it is the wireless that's behind your speed issue you could run a wired conenction and see how this compares to the wireless.
I would advise the below steps on how to best optimize your wireless to suite the property.

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app called wifi analyzer which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices  to for a stronger signal.  

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.

Let us know how it goes.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Dave_S , checking your connection everything also looks to be fine from our side to your router with 50.7Mbps download and 11.2Mbps upload showing with 2 drops in the last 7 days with no signs of errors or issues which the connection as a whole. I was when looking at the connection also leaning towards wireless interference being the cause however because you've provided wired speed tests this brings the issue to be more a throughput issue and speeds you are seeing your side being a lot lower than is getting to the router.

In which case, can I ask... when you ran the speed tests were all programs on your laptop closed to prevent any downloads/updates in the background that could have been taking it's toll on your bandwidth?

Mannam
Hooked

Ben,

Very many thanks for the most helpful instructions. Wired connection gave me 48Mbit/s. For WiFi I was using Channel 1 and so, I found, was next door! I set up the 5GHz SSID and reconnected to that, which gave me 41Mbit/s. I also changed the 2.4GHz channel to channel 11 (others were using Ch6 though with lower signal strength) and got 36Mbit/s so for the moment I'm sticking with the 5GHz connection.

However after 5 minutes I retested the 5GHz and got only 30Mbit/s, and after disconnecting/reconnecting got 38Mbit/s. So it's still variable. The signal levels as indicated by the WiFi Analyzer also jump around from say -72dBm to - -67dBm. Is this normal or is there a fault with my Wireless Adapter?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Mannam

Thanks for coming back to us - I'm pleased to hear that things have improved.

What you've described is absolutely normal - even with changing the channels you're still going to get some environmental interference when using a wifi connection, so some fluctuation in speeds is to be expected.

By all means get back in touch if your speeds drop significantly via a wired connection but as it stands, it seems like you're good to go.

Best wishes,

Dave