cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fibre Wifi worse than TalkTalk Broadband!

helenbousfield

Plusnet Fibre Wifi worse than TalkTalk Broadband!

I recently signed up with Plusnet Fibre after a long time with TalkTalk. However, as much as I disliked TalkTalk, I am regretting this, as on Wifi, I had much better speeds with WIFI on broadband than Fibre from Plusnet. In addition, my wired connection as well as the wifi connection keep cutting out. It now takes 7-10seconds to open a webpage and more often than not I get this message:

Your connection was interrupted

A network change was detected.

ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED

or this one:   No internet

Try:

• Checking the network cables, modem, and router
  • Reconnecting to Wi-Fi
  • Running Windows Network Diagnostics
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

Fed up of this now. This is not the service I signed up for. Took me 20 minutes to get this posted due to the internet cutting out. This is the same message on WIFI as a wired connection. 

Many thanks
17 REPLIES 17
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Plusnet Fibre Wifi worse than TalkTalk Broadband!

Hi Helen,

A warm welcome to the forums.  What of the self help checks have you performed so far?  There are a number of things which could be causing an issue here, from WiFi channel congestion to a fault on your phone line.  First off, you ought not to worry about conducting WiFi speed tests, until other potential issues have been ironed out.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

Sorry to see that there's an issue so early on but such things can definitely be resolved. 

I've just been running a number of tests on your connection and everything seems fine which would suggest that there's an issue with WiFi interference. Making a few changes to the router's settings should fix that:

Please try following the checks shown here as your next step and do let us know how you get on:

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
SpecialD
Rising Star

Or it might not fix it at all like with mine and a few other peoples : 

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Could-this-be-a-bug-with-firmware-4-7-5-1-83-8-263-or-Window...

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Wifi-drops-out-on-Win10/m-p/1637656

There are quite a few posts cropping up all with a very similar issue where the wifi is fine for a while then for no apparent reason devices just stop being able to connect to it even in the same room...

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry to see that @SpecialD this doesn't appear to be the same issue. Unfortunately wireless interference is something that can affect anyone using a WiFi router but we'll always do what we can to help and advise on how to deal with it

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Wi-Fi is not as great as people might imagine.

Though these devices are proffered to have 13 channels, these channels actually over lap the adjacent channels and adjacent channel overlap is worse than cochannel sharing.  It is recommended that only channels 1, 6 and 11 be used, however devices auto-channel hopping can make a mess of such strategies.  Thereby Wi-Fi can be seen to improve or degrade as OTHER Wi-Fi stations hop around the spectrum.

That said I have seen the 2704n router 'sulk' in respect of WiFi - deciding not to accept new Wi-Fi connections - requiring a reboot to get its act together again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SpecialD
Rising Star

@Townman  - It's still hard to figure out what's triggereing the wifi drops. The router is happy connected to the internet, and all you can see in the logs is that the devices that lost wifi request an IP again, and they're given the same one due to the existing lease and then within seconds they're off and asking again over and over then other devices start to suffer speed issues and connection drops. You attempt to access the router config pages (on wired) and they are so slow.  In the end you either have to wait it out or reboot the router.

I've also noticed the added issue here that it seems to also get problems when the PS4 is on (whether configured as wired or wifi connection) so I'm still curious if the bluetooth dualshock 4 controllers might also cause terrible interference?!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That’s the exact scenario I’ve seen when these routers sulk. Rebooting tends to resolve the issue.

helenbousfield

Thanks for your reply.

I've done the quiet line test and there doesn't appear to be an issue with the line. 

The broadband availability checker says that I am 901m from the exchange.

The second link, the BT Wholesale FTTC availability checker on't load - there is the writing but only an outline of the box where I imagine the test is.

Helen

helenbousfield

Thanks.

The phone line comes in in the dining room and the router is placed next to it on the table. The desktop is in the same room and has the same issues as my laptop. 

I have plugged the phone into the tester socket to see if this makes any difference. 

The phone is not usually plugged in. 

Helen

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Which router do you have from talktalk?

As you were happy with the wireless there it may be worth using the old talktalk router if it's compatible.

Note:

The talktalk HG635, this can be used here and IMO is better than the one PN supplies.

The talktalk HG633 then unfortunately that can not be used with other Internet providers.

helenbousfield

Still no success. Wifi continues to drop out - this seems to a major mis-selling by Plusnet and I waited longer than normal to go live due to an error from PlusNet too!

Tried the old router but it comes up as TalkTalk and I can't find Plusnet - I'm not very technical so don't know how to fx this. I also have no idea which TT router it was but surely, with fibre broadband, Plusnets router should be up to the job!

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

If you look at the label at the back of the talktalk router, if it says:-

"Super Router" "HG635" Then this router can be configure it to work with Plusnet details here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160307202700/http://npr.me.uk/hg635.html

There's not that much wrong with the PN router but like all routers you may need to change wifi channels etc to get optimum results.

Seeing as you were happy with the talktalk router I thought it may be easier for you to use that, provided it's the one compatible with other ISP.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @helenbousfield, thanks for your posts.

You're of course 100% right, you shouldn't need to use a router gained from your previous provider - but we can certainly help with getting it set up if you choose to do so.

Please check the model number and we'll see if we're able to get it up and running with you.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Helen,

As far as being a router is concerned the PlusNET router does ‘do its job’ however in some local scenarios (for example in dense housing locations) WiFi might be variable and such can be influenced by how OTHER WiFi access points in the area behave. Some router suppliers turn their signals ‘up high’ thereby creating the problems you seem to be experiencing.

I’ve seen isolated buildings receiving strong WiFi signals from builds over 200m away - such powerful WiFi APs do not help those in the surrounding area, especially if on a. It recommended channel.