Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fibre Extra Speed Less Than Expected

FIXED
MickC51
Fixes: 1

Plusnet Fibre Extra Speed Less Than Expected

Switched to Plusnet Fibre Extra two weeks ago, it is faster than previous Broadband, but does not reach the estimated line speed when the order was acknowledged:  between 32.4.Mbps and 42.3Mbps.  Current Line Speed is 19.2Mbps according to the Plusnet email received today.

This seems a very long way from the estimate line speed.  I have disconnected all other devices from the line and always run the computer with a wired network connection and am using the Plusnet router supplied.

Is this 'as good as it gets', or is it possible there is an external fault, or, am I not connected to the Fibre Extra option?  I look forward to seeing responses.  Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 3

Re: Plusnet Fibre Extra Speed Less Than Expected

Hi Mick, sorry to hear about this, could you follow this guide and let us know how you get on https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

MickC51

Hello TonyMC, I have been through the 'connection-troubleshooting' as requested, with the router connected at the Master socket.  I ran the broadband speed test and the result of the Download Speed Test was 17.42Mbps and the Upload Speed Test 6.16Mbps.  The telephone dial tone is clear, with no perceivable noise on the line.

Any other suggestions?

Rgds,

Mick.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

You sync speeds are certainly lower than I'd expect, based off the estimates for you line.

I'd recommend raising a fault over at http://faults.plus.net and we'll be able to get this raised with our suppliers for further investigation.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MickC51

Thanks HarryB,

I'll give this a try.

MickC51

Fix

Problem resolved, speeds now as expected.  Initial problem was related to a fault in Master Socket NTE5.  Engineer replaced NTE5 with double socket SSFP.  However, a subsequent problem had occurred while I was overseas and prior to broadband provider visiting to check the initial problem.  The Plusnet Hub had failed, probably due to the effect of a thunderstorm/lightning strike damaging the integral modem (according to engineer).  A substitute modem has been connected and service has now been resumed.  Speed is 42.3Mbps.

Final question is: how do I obtain a replacement Hub?

Thank you to all Plusnet personnel, including TonyMC and HarryB, who participated in the process of getting this fixed. Well done!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @MickC51

@MickC51 wrote:

Final question is: how do I obtain a replacement Hub?

I'll get that RMA'd and a replacement sent out as soon as possible for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet