Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fibre Extra Speed Is really low

FIXED
nickhope
Hooked

Plusnet Fibre Extra Speed Is really low

Hi

I need some help as I’ve noticed really poor performance lately from my fibre extra.

Fibre extra boasts up to 76mbs download speeds however if I do a speed test (WiFi) then I only seem to be getting up to 7mbs!? I’m on an iOS device at the min so this test was through a third party site.

I’ve checked my cabling is ok and I’m going direct into a double master socket so no need for micro filter. I have a Plusnet TR3 wireless router.

Can someone help to trouble shoot this with me please?
11 REPLIES 11
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Plusnet Fibre Extra Speed Is really low

If you're troubleshooting a connection, don't use WiFi, there are too many variables when that is involved.
nickhope
Hooked

Hard wired might be a problem, I’m using a new MBP and don have an adapter for my Ethernet adapter. Can someone at plusnet check my connection, it seems really low even for WiFi?
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

If you have a Hub One unit that plugs straight into the phone socket (ie. no Openreach box), point a web browser 192.168.1.254 and log in.

Go to Advanced Settings -> Broadband -> Connection.

It should reveal the downstream and upstream line speed.

Real internet speeds may be lower if there are other issues.  eg. line fault, congestion, packet loss etc.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
nickhope
Hooked

cheers Bill. I'll give it a go on my lunch time. Just to confirm, when you said 'No Openreach Box', did you mean the microfilter? I only ask as the master socket is obviously an 'Openreach Box' and I'm direct into here.

bill888
Champion

Sorry for not making it clear,  I meant to quote no 'Openreach VDSL2 modem' (made by Huawei or ECI) which were supplied with earlier Plusnet routers more than 2 years ago, prior to the introduction of the current 'Hub One' routers (Rebadged BT Home Hub 5).

nickhope
Hooked

Ok, so I accessed the advanced settings in my hub via browser and checked my down and up streams. Attached is the screen shot. The amounts seem poor to me for super fast fibre, up to 76mps?
bill888
Champion

Fix

Those look suspiciously like speeds for an up-to 17mb ADSL connection.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and until you find the line 24 called 'Modulation'. 

Does it report G992.1 Annex A (ADSL) or G993.2 Annex B (VDSL fibre) ?

nickhope
Hooked

Well Bob, your super silky broadband sleuth skills are on par.! Line 24 says G.992.5 Annex A (ADSL). Is there anything I can do next from home or is it a Plusnet tech support contact time?
bill888
Champion

I think you will need to contact Plusnet. There is nothing you can do from your end.

Plusnet agents seem to be a bit thin on the ground on this forum today.  May be we can get the attention of @Gandalf who did respond to another thread earlier today.

nickhope
Hooked

Thanks so much Bill, at least I wasn’t going completely crazy thinking it was slow. 👌🏻
nickhope
Hooked

They forgot to place my fibre order months ago, I didn’t even notice 😩 Thanks for your help.