Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fibre Extra Speed Dip?

vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Plusnet Fibre Extra Speed Dip?

@Headphones wrote:

My socket is a twin socket with two phone sockets that are identical, as in the photo I have attached. Which is the test socket?

I might be wrong, but that looks to be one of the LJU4  socket variants and I don't think it will have a test socket.

Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
Headphones
Dabbler

I know! That’s what I’m trying to explain, but I keep getting told to try the test socket! My product is also showing as Fibre , not Fibre Extra when I log into my account. I was also told on the phone by your support that if an engineer came out and they couldn’t find a fault I would be charged. As I am 100% certain that there isn’t a fault at my house I am not going to let an engineer come out only to be charged because there isn’t a fault at the property.

sorry Vultura, just realised it wasn’t a Plusnet member of staff that replied!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Are there any other phone sockets in the property at all?

I'm afraid we're going to struggle to progress this as a fault as your sync speeds are above the minimum guaranteed line speed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
vultura
Rising Star

@Headphones wrote:

I know! That’s what I’m trying to explain, but I keep getting told to try the test socket!

sorry Vultura, just realised it wasn’t a Plusnet member of staff that replied!

No problem, it can get confusing in here sometimes.

As Matthew has asked in previous post is that the only phone socket?  Is it close to where the telephone cable can be seen entering the property, either as an overhead cable or underground as some of them are now.

Headphones
Dabbler

Hi this is the only phone socket. I don’t understand what you mean by the sync speeds. If I am getting 65Mb download by Ethernet, how is this not below the 75.2 Mb “guaranteed” line speed?

Headphones
Dabbler

Hi Vultura

Yes this is the only socket. BT initially installed the phone line back in 2001.

vultura
Rising Star

In the first post you I think you stated the email said the guaranteed line speed was 72Mbps.

In the second post by Matthew it shows that your router is in sync with the cabinet at 73.8Mbps, so that is above that guarantee.

What needs to be kept in mind is that the sync speed/line speed does not indicate the actual speed you will receive, it is a theoretical upper limit for your line based on a set of conditions. The speeds you experience on a day-to-day basis will be less than this and may vary at different times.

Thanks for confirming that it is the only socket.  It might beneficial long term to pay to have that socket replaced with a newer one, which would have a test socket and would include a filtered faceplate making the install tidier.

Caerefail
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I must admit that I find it odd that the socket in question is the only socket if the line was installed in 2001. My house was built in 1993 and we have a 'master socket' with a test socket behind it - up in the loft where the phone line comes into the property!!! Really convenient! All the phone sockets that we see in the rooms are like the one shown by @Headphones and we could easily think that we have no master socket. Is it possible that the master socket could be in a really obscure place? Have you tried to follow the line of the incoming telephone wire to see if there is a master socket in some odd location? It may not make it any easier to test the line in the master socket (we used to have great fun doing so before we ran a Cat 5 cable for the router) but a 2001 line installation should have a master socket with a test socket behind it.

Headphones
Dabbler

Can’t find any other sockets. This line was installed in 2001, there is another line, completely separate phone number (not an extension) that was installed in the late 1960’s so whether they’ve used a link from there somehow I don’t know. I was at work when my line was actually installed so didn’t see them do it. The other line just has a normal socket (not a twin), but that feeds from a big black box, that’s all encased and there are no sockets on it. This other line does not have broadband on it.

vultura
Rising Star

@Headphones wrote:

This line was installed in 2001, there is another line, completely separate phone number (not an extension) that was installed in the late 1960’s so whether they’ve used a link from there somehow I don’t know. I was at work when my line was actually installed so didn’t see them do it. The other line just has a normal socket (not a twin), but that feeds from a big black box, that’s all encased and there are no sockets on it. This other line does not have broadband on it.

I am not sure what to make of that.  Perhaps someone with more experience than I will be able to shed some light.

vultura
Rising Star

@Headphones wrote:

The other line just has a normal socket (not a twin), but that feeds from a big black box, that’s all encased and there are no sockets on it.

Could you post up a picture, might help to identify what exactly that is.

Headphones
Dabbler

vultura
Rising Star

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/connection_boxes.htm

Looking on the above site that looks like a GPO BT30 connection box, I could well be wrong though.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for the assist both here and elsewhere over the past few days @vultura, it's appreciated and I certainly wouldn't have known what the black box was called without a spot of the old Google-fu.

@Headphones, thanks for your response. We can see that your line estimates are now showing as 79-80mbps, with your router 'syncing' at 74.4mbps.

We've checked all of the settings our side and we aren't seeing what's causing this and so our next play would be to raise this as a fault, which is more than likely going to progress immediately to an engineer visit.

We can 100% understand your reluctance to accept the possibility of a charge, however, with it being your sync speed that's off it certainly suggests an external problem and so IMO the chance of you being charged is very slim.

Please let us know if you'd like for us to raise the fault.

Headphones
Dabbler

Hi

I only want to raise it as a fault, if I can be guaranteed that I will definitely not be charged regardless of the outcome of the engineers findings. Also as I explained earlier I work Monday to Friday and don’t have any holidays left. My only “days off” are Saturday & Sunday. I didn’t have a problem until my line speed was changed in error by yourselves. I can’t help thinking that maybe a reset (like you did that caused the problem) might fix it. I have tried rebooting my router but that hasn’t helped.