Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fibre Extra Speed Dip?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Plusnet Fibre Extra Speed Dip?

Hi @Headphones, thanks for your post.

I'm afraid that we can't guarantee that you'll be available for the appointment, or that the issue won't be found to be internal and so we cannot guarantee that there wouldn't be a charge.

We're stringent on the checks we've asked you to complete to minimise as much as possible the chance that you'll be charged.

Headphones
Dabbler

Hi

The engineer wouldn’t have access to the property whilst I was at work. I can only reiterate that there wasn’t a problem until you reduced my line speed in error. The “My Products “ part of my account still shows incorrectly as “Fibre” instead of “Fibre Extra” - see photo attached. I can say 100% that the problem is NOT at the property. The problem started from the instant you restored my line to Fibre Extra. So far I’ve been told by 2 members of staff that there is a fault and 1 member of staff said there isn’t. My top speed by Ethernet is 65MB download 18mb upload. My upload speed originally was 18MB, it is only the download speed that has suffered due to your error, so it cannot be a wiring fault or the upload speed would have reduced as well. 

Can this be escalated to someone at a higher level of support. I think someone is missing something.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, Owen has asked me to take a look over this as you asked. 

I've read back through the full thread and the account history. Whereas I can see that the incorrect package change did cause an issue, this has been corrected since and you are without a doubt on the right package and the right connection profile on our systems too. Those are the only factors on our side which could potentially limit the throughput speed available to your connection. 

I completely understand your stance on the engineer visit, as ourselves and other customers have pointed out on this thread it's the only way to get such issues resolved for a fibre circuit at present I'm afraid and the only option available for us to do this is to arrange an appointment. We can't book such an appointment without the potential charge being agreed to but it's worth keeping in mind that the charge is only relevant on the conditions that no fault is found, if the engineer can't gain access to your premises or if the fault is due to equipment or wiring within your home. 

We supplied your router so we would not allow that to be chargeable if that was the case so we can eliminate that risk, as for the potential of there being no fault found that's immensely unlikely as we are seeing an issue that's restricting your speeds that doesn't exist on our infrastructure, the only other risk would be if you weren't at home at the time of the visit which would be up to yourself. 

I can appreciate that this might seem an inconvenience and if there was another way we would have arranged that by this point for you and I just want to show that whereas we're not in control of if visits are chargeable or not we certainly don't wish for you to be charged and will always do what we can to eliminate the risk of that happening. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Headphones
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

Regarding the engineer’s visit, you state that a charge will only me made if no fault can be found. The engineer won’t find a fault, so therefore I would get charged because the problem isn’t at this end, as I have previously said, nothing has changed at this end and the problem only started immediately after you put me back onto Fibre Extra. If plusnet hadn’t have reduced my line speed in error, I would still be getting the 72Mb speed. 

Also so as I have no holidays left at work I am unable to be at the property Mon-Fri. The choice isn’t mine to make. 

When I was with BT, they arranged engineers visits for a Saturday morning. If this could be done without any charges to me I would accept that, even though as I said I know the problem is not here. 

As the problem started when you reduced the speed and increased it, maybe if you did that again that would solve the problem. Or is it possible that you have damaged the router, by doing this?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I can't state clearly enough that we have put you on the right package. There are literally no other factors on our infrastructure that haven't been checked. There would be no benefit in us changing the package again. It's also worth keeping in mind that we can only do so as a schedule for the next billing date so to do that would take over 2 months to complete. 

Saturday appointments aren't always available for us to book but we can try. I can't change what we've advised in relation to potential charges though and the need for those to be agreed to for us to be able to get this arranged. 

Just to address to what you've said about the router it isn't possible for such hardware to become damaged by changes to an ISPs systems. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Headphones
Dabbler

Hi Adam

I am not asking you to actually change my package to fibre, only downgrade the speed as you did in error. This did not take 2 months to complete, I was only on the fibre speed for one day. You downgraded the speed on the 16th and upgraded it on the 17th. For one day I had a speed of 38mb download & 8 mb upload. So it can be done. It was after this I started with the problem.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Headphones

Upon reviewing the thread in its entirety I am in agreement with @adamwalker & @OskarPapa

Your router is syncing at at 74.4Mbps and the IP Profile is set to 0.128M-80M Downstream. The estimates provided for your line show a Downstream Handback Threshold of 74-75.1Mbps. In order to be eligible for handback (investigation by our supplier), the downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values. Despite this, we may be able to raise a fault to them as @OskarPapa said, however this would require the possibility of an Engineer Charge being accepted by yourself. 

As far as I can see from this ticket your Sync Speed is actualy above the MGAL (minimum guaranteed access line speed) which was provided to you upon your contract inception. 

I hope this helps. 

MoR

Headphones
Dabbler

Ok, so when you say that you guarantee a speed of 75.1 (which is what it actually says on my account when I’ve checked) , but it’s syncing at 74.4, is this not less than the 75.1 you guarantee? My router is “syncing at 74.4” when the maximum I’ve got by Ethernet is 66 (as Of today) presumably the syncing figure is meaningless and doesn’t relate to real world internet speeds, a bit like MPG figures that car manufacturers give out? If this is the case this should be explained at contract stage. When I added my telephone line to my existing Fibre Extra line, if it had been explained to me that it would result in my line speed slowing down, I wouldn’t have gone ahead. As I have said nothing has changed in the house. There are no kids or pets in the house. The socket hasn’t been touched. It has already been said that if an engineer comes out and can’t find a fault, I would be liable to be charged. I know he will not find a fault within the property, as the fault is not here. You will then want to charge me, unfairly, as I have already said he won’t find a fault. And the problem will still be there. I was getting 72mb download before your error and now getting 66 at the most. No one can tell me why? I still can’t see why you can’t do as I’ve asked to reduce the speed and increase it again (over the space of one day like you did in December, not a couple of months). As this it what caused the problem in the first place.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Headphones

"Sync" relates to the speed your router is receiving, whereas the speed which you see on Speed Tests is known as "Throughput" - this is always less than your Sync speed due to a multitude of reasons. 

As is stated on the ticket in my link, your minimum guaranteed access line speed is 72 Mbps, this would mean that your sync speed is above the guaranteed rate. 

Can you please turn off the WiFi broadcast on your router and run a wired speed test - this will get you the most accurate representation of the speed your wired device is receiving. 

Thanks, 

MoR

Headphones
Dabbler

Ok, I’ve done that. Test with wireless off - 66mb download, upload 19.49, also tested before wireless was switched off - 65.99 download, 18.98 upload

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thank you for that, @Headphones

We would need to revert to @OskarPapa's last post in that case and look to raise a fault. 

Can you start the process here for us? 

Thanks, 

MoR