Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fibre Extra Speed Dip?

Headphones
Dabbler

Plusnet Fibre Extra Speed Dip?

Hi, 

I have been with Plusnet for a number of years, and 18 months ago upgrade to Fibre Extra. I was getting speeds of 72-74 Mb download and 18mb upload. On the 18th of December I decided to sign my line rental contract with Plusnet (was with the post office), the phone line switches to plusnet on 4th Jan, BUT in error, plusnet downgraded my Fibre Extra connection to Fibre, then realised what they had done and switched it back to Fibre Extra. For one day I had a speed of 30mb download 8mb upload, so I know it was Fibre. The problem I now have is that it since it has switched back I am only getting 65mb download, the upload is the same at 18mb? Nothing has changed at my end, and I have been getting a constant 65mb since the 20th December (1 week). Plusnet have told me to wait until the 1st, and it might sort itself out, but with it being a constant speed, I can’t see how it will jump up in 3 days. I have an email saying I should get a guaranteed minimum of 72mb, but been told by tech support that “65mb is a good speed” & “I probably wouldn’t notice the difference between 65mb & 72mb”!!! Which is not the point. Does anyone know why my speed isn’t back to what I was getting originally? Are plusnet throttling the speed?

40 REPLIES 40
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Plusnet Fibre Extra Speed Dip?

Sorry to hear about the issues that you've had.

We've tested your line and as shown below your router is connected to the cabinet at 73.8mbps which should be giving you faster speeds.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 73.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Not Run - Unable to run
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 238.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-12-15T10:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 40.0 Mbps 79.9 Mbps 72.2 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps 19.2 Mbps
Up Time 808.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.6 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-12-28T09:18:45Z 2018-12-28T09:33:45Z
Ingress Code Violation 2 4
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Can you confirm if you've been testing over a wired or wireless connection and if the connection was being used by anybody else when you carried out the test?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Headphones
Dabbler

Hi Matthew,
I’ve tested it wired on a pc this morning at 3.25am -see photo. I’ve also tested it previously wired a few times on an Android box and got the same download speed but higher upload at 18mb. I’ve also tested it wireless and get 65-66mb download & 16-18mb upload. I haven’t changed anything at my house and the problem only started after you downgraded & upgraded the line.

I’ve noticed on the downstream report it says “reasonable”, it doesn’t say “very good” as it does with the upstream. Could this be an indication of the problem? The upload speed is spot on, it is just the download speed that has changed since you downgraded and upgraded the line
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Headphones,

Thank you for confirming that this is affecting both wired and wireless connections. As the sync speed is below the line's estimated speed of 75-80mbps we can treat this as a fault.

As our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue, we will needto do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here. If that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the speed improves This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here.

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault. Please let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Headphones
Dabbler

Hi,

I have already gone through the troubleshooting tips a week ago. My master socket only has 2 normal phone connection sockets. I have already split the connections into 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz and the speed I am reporting is from the 5Ghz connection. I can only state again that before my service was downgraded in error by yourselves (before the 18th December) I was getting 72Mb download. I have already gone through the process of changing the channels on the router which has made no difference to the speed. Nothing has happened or changed in my house, so can only think that the problem is at your end when you’ve upgraded my service (after you had downgraded it in error).

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @Headphones,

Thank you for confirming that you've been through the troubleshooting checks on your side and that this has only started happening since your account was downgraded in error.

I've had another look at your account and I've found a potential issue with the connection profile that may be limiting the speed you're getting on your side. I've adjusted this now. Please can you reboot your router and let us know whether you continue to experience poor speeds?

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Headphones
Dabbler

Hi,

i have restarted the router (logging in on the browser, advanced, restart my hub) and it hasn’t made any difference to the speed.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @Headphones,

Thank you for rebooting your router, I'm sorry to hear that your speed hasn't increased. As this is the case and the tests from our side aren't picking up the cause of this issue, it's likely that we'll need to arrange an engineer visit so that this may be investigated further.

Please can you report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it - we'll then be able to progress this further for you.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Headphones
Dabbler

Hi

There is no need for an engineer to come. As I explained nothing has been altered at my end. The problem has been caused by Plusnet altering my speed. So the fault must be at your end, or maybe you have done some damage to the router changing the speeds up and down?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @Headphones,

Whilst I appreciate where you're coming from in terms of nothing being changed on your side, the tests from here aren't picking up the cause of this issue. Your connection profile is now correct and you've been provisioned back on the 80/20 fibre so there's nothing that we can change from here that may resolve this. As this is the case, the only option we have to progress this further would be to arrange an engineer visit so that our suppliers can carry out further tests on your connection.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Headphones
Dabbler

Hi

Can you not just reset the connection at your end? If the engineers need to be in the house, it is not convenient as I work Monday to Friday, and I do not have any holidays left. I know the fault isn’t in the property. 

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Plusnet have no means to reset any connections no ISP does, If a line is banded they can put a request for a reset but your line isn't banded, they can only adjust the profile which they have done, the only next step to fixing your issue is to have a engineer visit wether you choose to take that step is up to you. 

Headphones
Dabbler

Hi

when I have just logged into my account, I notice that my products state I have Broadband Fibre, not Broadband Fibre Extra? This isn’t right

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Headphones, I appreciate how frustrating it may be as everything was fine before, but as @EmilyD advised the next step would be an engineer visit, as there isn't anything further we can do our side.

Although nothing has changed, I'd still advise connecting to the test socket, please then raise a fault here so we can progress this for you (and let us know once done so).

With regards to your package, you are provisioned on the correct service and everything looks correct this side.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Headphones
Dabbler

My socket is a twin socket with two phone sockets that are identical, as in the photo I have attached. Which is the test socket? Also in my account, my product is showing as Fibre not Fibre Extra?