cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fibre Broadband - keeps dropping out. Help!

FIXED
Wellbunch

Plusnet Fibre Broadband - keeps dropping out. Help!

Hi

I am subscribed to the Fibre Broadband package. My signal keeps dropping out. This has already happened 3 times this morning (in the last two hours) and tends to happen at least 2-3 times every day. From memory, this issue became apparent before the Lockdown, so it's not necessarily due to that. 

With all the helplines down, I cannot contact anyone. I've reset the router multiple times & assume the only solution is for someone at Plusnet / OpenReach to adjust some of the settings on my local network. 

Please Help!! We are all trying to work from home. Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Plusnet Fibre Broadband - keeps dropping out. Help!

Thanks for getting in touch @Wellbunch

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your connection.

I've tested your line and identified an issue that would need an engineer visit to investigate further.

Can you raise a fault here and message us back once you've done so?

That will allow us to get that picked up straight away for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Wellbunch

Thanks. I am trying to log the fault, but there is a problem with the broadband troubleshooter / fault submission form. It will not let me submit and I keep getting for following error message. Can you help please?

Error

Sorry, we are not able to complete this request at the moment, please try again later.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Fix

Hi @Wellbunch, thanks for getting back in touch. I can confirm looking over your account I can see a fault is raised regarding your dropping connection issue. Upon running tests on both your connection and phone line, I can see the drops that have occurred which certainly hint something is out of place somewhere however our testing isn't reporting a fault location. I'd advise then if you haven't already, to go through some of the troubleshoot steps below which will guide you through ruling a number of internal factors out that could be behind the drops you've been seeing.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242
Given the frequency of the drops, if it's not apparent they are continuing I'd advise monitoring in this set-up for 24-48 hours to see if the drops still persist.

If the problem still persists from here then we'll happily progress your fault for you. Let us know how it goes.

mburton2

Hi,

Help required here to please..

My Fibre service has been OK since I started with Plusnet, up to about 3 months ago (So, about 18months of a useble service).

3 months about it started getting very intermittent...with a various different issues:

1) Devices would suddenly be unable to connect to my wifi, repeatedly requesting the password (Which I would cut'n'paste in), then suddenly be OK & connect)

2) Devices would be connected to wifi, but would state "Internet may not be available"

3) Hardwired devices (TV, STB etc) will dis-connect/re-connect continually, until I re-booted the router.

4) when viewing wifi networks on a "Wifi Analyzer" I can see my wifi networks (2.4 & 5gh are seperate)  keep on disapearing & reapearing...(This may be a red-herring, I dont know how "True" the analyzer is)

5)Router had red/orange flashing, then solid light on this morning, & my phone was asking me to sign-in to my router. Switching router off/on resolved this.

WHEN things are working, I do a Okla Speedtest, getting 25-30Mbps, 13ms Ping, 5ms Jitter (I dont fully understand Ping/Jitter)

I know I have a lot of devices connected, but a majority are low band-width devices...Smart-sockets, Smart-bulbs etc..No gaming, No HD streaming etc takes place.

I have re-named my 5GHz wifi network, with "_5GHz" at the end, so I can connect my SmartDevices to the 2.4Gz network, as they only work on 2.4Ghz.

I've tried new phone filters...no difference.

I'm getting fed up with poor internet connection...Its almost like being back with TalkTalk Sad

Any Suggestions?

Wellbunch

Hi Ben

Thanks for your message. I've watched the video & tried the basic troubleshooting steps. It's not apparent that the problem has been fixed yet, as I had another 2-3 drop outs this morning. 

I will try the test socket next over the next few days & let you know how I get on. 

mburton2

Well, I guess there is no help....just shockinly bad internet comming from plusnet...

On top of all my previous issues, I now have about 20 devices that can no longer connect to wifi....as if someone has adjusted the router settings to limit the number ....I cant even check that, because trying to connect to the router on 192.168.1.254 just times out.....

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@mburton2  Thanks for contacting us about your Wi-Fi, check out the help and support page here https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
mburton2

Thanks for taking the time to respond @tinytaco....
But it fails at the 1st hurdle, as already mentioned, when trying to connect to 192.168.1.254 , it just times-out with no connection....I've bought a USB>RJ45 Adapter, on the hope I can connect via patch-cable...

Its odd that everything used to connect, but now I have 20-30 devices that just won't connect to the WiFi (low bandwidth stuff like smart bulbs/switches)..