Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fiber Drop 38Mbps to 6.8Mbps

FIXED
razorpoke
Grafter

Plusnet Fiber Drop 38Mbps to 6.8Mbps

Hello,

I am sure you guys get this issue arising every single day so I am sorry to be one of those people! I am writing this on behelf of my dad who has noticed a speed drop which I can confirm.

I have used a multitude of speed testers: speedtest, broadband speed checker and the bt speed checker and they are all showing a range of 6-7Mbps which is weird because only yesterday things were working just fine.

I did the bt wholesale test and it is showing the same but says my line has a potential for 38+ which I knew already as it was working yesterday. I have also tried re-setting the router and making sure nothing was updating on the network.

So im wondering if there are any other things I could try. I am in the pembrokeshire area if that helps at all, if there have been any issues that you guys are aware of that may be responsible?

Thanks so much for your time!

edit: I am not sure if it matters to much but the fiber I am on isn't a direct fiber feed, it still runs off of an adsl filter but as I say it has mostly been working perfectly since it was installed.

12 REPLIES 12
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Plusnet Fiber Drop 38Mbps to 6.8Mbps

Seems a bit of a coincidence, someone else has posted similar low 6.8 mbps speed issue today?

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Swapped-to-new-router-speed-has-dropped/td-p/1372385

Check Plusnet username & password if you are using a Plusnet router.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
razorpoke
Grafter

That is very strange indeed, my gateway is ptw-ag04, I am unsure if that means anything really haha

When you say check plusnetusername & password what do you mean, check it where sorry.

razorpoke
Grafter

Ok, so I just went into the advanced settings in my plusnet hub manager and I saw the downstream: 39.95mbps and the upstream at 1.999 mbps . This is very odd due to the fact any speed tests I do are showing the 6.8mbps range

bill888
Champion

When you factory reset your Plusnet supplied router, it is almost certain your plusnet username & password was deleted, and possibly may not have automatically been reinstated when connected to working broadband connection.

You can log into your Plusnet router and check what username & password is stored.

On Plusnet Hub One

point your web browser to 192.168.1.254 to be presented with the login page for the router.

Go to Advanced Settings -> I think username is stored in 'Internet' tab.

If you are on ptw-ag04 gateway, you may still be on the 'old' network.

Go to the Plusnet website and log into Member's Centre.

Then click on this link to a hidden plusnet page to check your 'Current Speed' setting.

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Was the speed test performed over a wired connection?

razorpoke
Grafter

Again, the strangeness resumes. So I am using the plusnet 'one' hub I believe it is called. I logged in and saw that my current speed setting is actually where it should be at 38.6mbps. Still though all speedtests are displaying 6.8 mbps around there.

edit: I think it is also worth mentioning that I am also hard wired.

bill888
Champion

Does the Hub One have your plusnet username stored in it?

Go to Advanced Settings -> I think username is stored in 'Internet' tab.

razorpoke
Grafter

How blind am I , I can't seem to locate the internet tab to find out 😮 (ref. attached jpg)

razorpoke
Grafter

NO NO, scrap that sorry I just found it - turns out I am blind.

Broadband username:

setup@plusdsl.net

bill888
Champion

Fix

Looks like your username has not been pulled down from plusnet's server for whatever reason.

Replace 'setup@plusdsl.net' with your plusnet account username (eg. myname@plusdsl.net) and corresponding password.

Then I think press 'Connect' button, and/or restart the Hub One.

razorpoke
Grafter

Hopefully this will head in the right direction!

So, how do I go about replacing it, it seems like I cannot edit it. Is this a setting in the hub settings or the members center.

Thanks for putting up with me for this long haha Cheesy

razorpoke
Grafter

Thank you so much this fixed my problem.

Excellent!!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@razorpoke - Could you drop me a PM with your username so I can check everything is as it should be on your account. Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet