cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Connection Problem or Bose Soundtouch? Packet Loss?

tekton23
Dabbler

Plusnet Connection Problem or Bose Soundtouch? Packet Loss?

Hi,

I have my fibre broadband with Plusnet and we run a Bose Soundtouch music system which is installed in our Living Room.

We can not run an ethernet cable from the router to the Bose System and this is not an option in the future. So the next best option was a powerline adaptor that connects to the router over the flat's electric circuit. This gives a full signal strength on the Bose app and works well for a while.

The issue is, that the connection drops out quite frequently. So if listening to the radio, it suddenly goes silent and can take a few minutes to reconnect. This can happen every few hours, or on a bad day every few minutes.

It is so annoying to have a really good quality sound system, that keeps cutting out.I have tried several different solutions, but I am now left wondering if it is a Plusnet issue? We also have a IP Baby Monitor and I notice the connection drops there too. The general connection speed in the room is around 20 megabits. However, I suppose this only tells me how fast the connection is when it is working well. It does not tell me how consistent or reliable the connection is over time. I have tried websites that test the reliability of the connection, however as we seem to have a dynamic IP, they all say it is not possible to run the test.

Is anyone experiencing similar issues? Is it with the Bose app, a problem with the radio/music streaming service or a problem with Plusnet. Is this packet loss, that many people seem to be reporting here?

I can't see any reason why, once the powerline network is set-up, that it would then drop off so often!

Thanks,

T23

4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Plusnet Connection Problem or Bose Soundtouch? Packet Loss?

We're not seeing dropouts from the connection logs:

Testing the line isn't showing any obvious issues either:

Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps

Do you happen to notice the signal strength on the Bose app changing when the problem happens?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tekton23
Dabbler

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I haven't checked the signal strength but will try to next time. I have heard that Powerline adaptors (netwrok from router to Bose via electrical circuit) do often drop-out. So maybe this is causing the issue?

T23

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Possibly, however it's not an issue I've come across with my powerline adaptors. I think they've cut out maybe 2 times is around 3 years.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tekton23
Dabbler

Ok, well I can try an ethernet cable temporarily directly connected to the router to see if it stops the issue.