Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet 2704n drops out during evening

skimarqueshc
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Plusnet 2704n drops out during evening

I seem to be having a problem every night or couple of nights, in that my 2704n modem drops out losing both my wired and wireless connections.
When this happens I check the DSL light on my Openreach modem which is on, and my internet light on the router is on. After a minute the wired connections come back on and work fine but then my devices will not connect to the wireless, even after resetting the router (this is only some of the time, other times they connect). If I can't connect I can only get it to work by going into the router settings and disabling then re-enabling my wi-fi connection.
Can someone at Plusnet help please.
24 REPLIES 24
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Plusnet 2704n drops out during evening

Hi there,
I'm aware you've reset the router but I'd like to see if you can factory reset it as the next step: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/plusnet-2704n-setup-guide.shtml
I'll be in the forums tomorrow too so let me know how you get on as there's a few things I'd like to try from our side if that doesn't help.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

Adam, thanks
I am away from home during the week so I can do this tomorrow late afternoon if that suits, I will let you know once I have done it,
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

I have tried resetting it via the button at the back, the power light never went red no matter how long I left the button depressed for.
I have tried the factory reset through the advanced options of the router if that does the same effect.
One thing I noticed yesterday evenening was the router dropped all connectivity twice and both times was when we booted a laptop up and connected wirelessly. During the mornign and day this doesn't seem to happen just in the evening.
Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Let us know if it drops off this evening.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

Matthew, it didn't cut out last night at all. I will have it monitored over the coming week but fingers crossed the problem has gone
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It does look better.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

Thanks for the update Matthew, I will monitor it for a week and hopefully that is my issue solved. Thanks for your assistance
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If anything pops up feel free to let us know.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

Hi Matthew
The last 2 nights the router has dropped connection again, wireless devices then can't connect even if I do a restart of the router.
The only way it seems for wireless devices to work again is to log into the router disbale then reenable the wireless settings
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

Exactly the same again about 5 minutes ago
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It could be a router fault if it's dropping the wireless devices only.
I've ordered you a new one which should be with you in the next few days.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

Thank you, I have recieved a text saying the new router is on the way, I will let you know how I get on with it
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

I received the new router on Saturday and installed it. It seemed to work well for a few days but the last 2 nights it has dropped connection again, both nights after 1800. All connections are dropping with the wired coming straight back in, the router needs a full reboot before allowing wireless devices back on.
I also used the new cable between the Openreach modem and the router.
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

Again the last few nights have had drop outs, all wireless and wired devices dropping out briefly, the wired devices coming straight back in, the wireless devices sometimes come straight back, other times the router require a reboot.
I have temporarily put my old BT Home Hub 3 on instead of the 2704N, and will monitor over the next few nights. If the HomeHub3 proves to be solid and not keep failing could I get a replacement router and will it be a 2704 as this is the 2nd one I have had with the same problem.
Thanks