cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusOne router

denwyn
Rising Star

PlusOne router

Moving to a new house soon, BT master socket is in the hall, the computer is going to be upstairs, and I want to connect it to computer with Ethernet cable. her indoors is objecting to the router in the hall, its to white and she hates the bright blue light, her words not mine. if I put the router next to the computer is it ok to connect it to the master socket by cable, length would be approx. 8 meters. Or am I asking for problems doing this. before anyone suggests it I don't want to connect to PC with wifi, 

I also have the original BT modem and PlusNet Technicolour modem which PlusNet supplied a few years back when we first went over to fibre. Only reason I switched to the newer Plus one router was wi fi was a bit poor with Technicolour router. there is no objection to using the BT modem as I can hide it from view. Would using this be a better option, along with a separate router, does it have to be the PlusNet Technicolour one, and would a 8 metre Ethernet cable be ok to connect the two. if this is ok any suggestions on what wireless router to use, something easy to set up if possible

Any Help appreciated

9 REPLIES 9
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: PlusOne router

Ethernet is much preferable.

Have you tried covering the lights with tape?

Or you could use the original separate router (with ethernet) option.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Must admit the PN pink footed router is awefull to look at Lips_are_sealed

Can you not hide it away and use powerline adaptors ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

While it is recommended that the modem is as close to the Master socket as possible you can use extension sockets. Are there any available upstairs.

Brian

denwyn
Rising Star

I did try the covering the blue light with tape route, but she wont have it, and i do sort of agree with her in that it sticks out being so white. I can get away with using the old BT Openreach modem as it can be hidden low down, and out of site. Running an Ethernet cable to a WiFi router by the computer is not to bad a job. i was never very keen on the old Technicolour TG582n router though, WiFi was not brilliant, hence me buying the Plusnet One router from Ebay. Not at all sure what router i should buy to be compatible with Plusnet, something fairly easy to set up, with reasonable WiFi signal. There is a phone socket upstairs, not far from computer but an absolute nightmare to get Ethernet cable from there to computer, plus i have always been told to use the master socket, so that's really not an option. The mains plug idea wont work as i would still have the Plusnet one router in the hall, which she wont accept, so it looks like reverting back to the old BT Open reach Modem and seperate wi fi router may be the best method. Any suggestions on routers up to about £60

VileReynard
Hero

If you want to run multiple segments of ethernet, a bridge is cheap (a router comes with its own bridge on the LAN side).

Gigabit bridges are only slightly more expensive - perhaps £20 each.

You can run multiple bits of ethernet from each one and/or daisy-chain them (within reason).

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

There are plenty of BT HH6 Smarthubs available on Ebay around £40ish. They are black, have far superior wireless performance, can be used on Plusnet and you can either dim or switch the blue light off completely,

Just make sure it is the FTTC version, which has four yellow internet connectors. If one of the four is red then it is the FTTP version.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

denwyn
Rising Star

Sorry but you have completely lost me with this, have no idea what you mean. just wanted alternative router recommended  to the Plusnet Technicolour to use with BT Openreach Modem for use on Plusnet Fibre. Think i will just go with what i can find at PC world. Re using a BT router, i have been told its no better than Plusnet One, and isn't easy to set up for use with Plusnet.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice

VileReynard
Hero

Expensive way to solve the Plusnet colour scheme.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@denwyn wrote:

Sorry but you have completely lost me with this, have no idea what you mean. just wanted alternative router recommended  to the Plusnet Technicolour to use with BT Openreach Modem for use on Plusnet Fibre. Think i will just go with what i can find at PC world. Re using a BT router, i have been told its no better than Plusnet One, and isn't easy to set up for use with Plusnet.

I'm sorry if I was not clear. My understanding is that you did not want to use a Hub One as it is white and has a bright blue light on the front. You were therefore proposing to go back to a two box (modem and seperate router) solution. You were therefore seeking advice on a suitable router without spending an arm and a leg.

What I was suggesting was that instead you consider replacing the Hub One with a BT Home Smarthub 6. This is again a single unit solution but the case is black and the light on the front can either be dimmed or switched off completely. This may make it acceptable to your other half.

In terms of WiFi performance, the PN Hub One uses the same hardware as the old BT Home Hub 5A and will therefore have similar wireless performance. The SmartHub 6 has improved WiFi performance, hence the current BT ads running on our tellys every night.

In terms of setting a Hub 6 up on a Plusnet connection you will find full instructions on this forum. It is not difficult and if you did have problems you will find plenty of advice again on this forum. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'