cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet cheating Speedtests?

Dubbs
Hooked

PlusNet cheating Speedtests?

I've noticed that when I'm having poor internet performance I'll got to Ookla and speediest the connection.  It will pull a number like 5-7mbps only to then magically pick up and deliver precisely the minimum guaranteed speed from Plusnet.

Not only this but then subsequent tests despite often being to a different target will also suddenly be better.

Could Plusnet be manipulating this? I'm sensing a note to Ofcom as I've had connection problems with these guys for some time and whilst they can't help Openreach's incompetence this behaviour points directly to Plusnet.

Has anyone else experienced similar or can anyone shed any light on this please?

3 REPLIES 3
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: PlusNet cheating Speedtests?

Hello there @Dubbs

I'm sorry you've had some trouble with the speed of your service, I can assure you that we do not manipulate your speeds as soon as you do a speed test to bring it in line with your minimum guaranteed speed - we don't proactively monitor your line either. 

Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.

Thanks. 

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

A lot of speedtesters use multithread to gauge the speeds. Try the Thinkbroadband one (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest) which also measures single thread speed. The two lines should be as close together as possible. If a big gap, it could show capacity issues or wireless problems. Always check with a wired connection for the most accurate results.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks         Marksfish      for that link

Very interesting just did tests on EE standard U/G and PlusNet 4G mobile broadband tethering via phone

EE  standard U/G                      Download   13.0 Mbps           Upload         0.7  Mbps

PlusNet  Mobile Tethering         Download    44.7 Mbps           Upload        10.9 Mbps

I thought the mobile tethering was good when I used it at the caravan but not that good

Will wait for Three 5G U/L  mobile broadband to come to my area and see what that's like