cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre coming next week - some questions?

Glyn

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre coming next week - some questions?

Hi there,

I am having PlusNet Unlimited Fibre and phone on my second BT line as a backup to their 80/20MB FTTC.

Main reason is PN can provide a static IP address that BT can’t offer me despite PN piggybacking on their own service! Go figure...

Anyway I would like to clear some things up prior to installation day so I have a clear plan of the best way to go about optimising my setup;

1. Will the BTOR Engineer be calling into the house and will he be fitting a shiny new NTE5C Master Socket? If so could he be persuaded to change over the Master Socket on the existing BT line also do you think?

2. I never use the providers Modem/Router preferring to use my own (usually DrayTek) and at the moment I currently have the DrayTek Vigor 2860Vn+ using the internal ADSL2+ modem on what will become the PN Fibre line where the other line is connected via Cat6 to the BT cable modem. Is there an optimum configuration for my setup? It is probably easiest to leave BT where it is and hookup PN to the internal VDSL modem in the 2860 but easiest is not always the best! I definitely don’t want to use their WiFi as I also have two other DrayTek WAP’s around the house.

3. With regard to the 2860 if it is OK to use the internal VDSL modem and what settings would I need to connect to PN?

4. Any other info, hints, tips or gotchas I might expect?

End of questions! Smiley

Thanks in advance & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-

3 REPLIES 3
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: PlusNet Unlimited Fibre coming next week - some questions?

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Post released from Spam Filter.

Sorry about that.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Glyn Hi and welcome to the forums.

I'll try and answer some of your questions

1. Will the BTOR Engineer be calling into the house and will he be fitting a shiny new NTE5C Master Socket? If so could he be persuaded to change over the Master Socket on the existing BT line also do you think

No, the BT Engineer will not come to the house, all the work is done at the cabinet. The existing socket & filters should be ok.

2.  Is there an optimum configuration for my setup?

I suspect only you can answer that

3. With regard to the 2860 if it is OK to use the internal VDSL modem and what settings would I need to connect to PN?

Using the internal VDSL modem on the 2860 will be OK. I have a colleague who uses a 2860 on a PN FTTC connection and it works fine. You'll just need to configure it with your PlusNet username & password ( see here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/ )

4. Any other info, hints, tips or gotchas I might expect?

Not that I can think of at the moment. I use a Draytek 2830 at home ( with a VDSL modem ) and have a couple in the office used for VPN connections to client sites but I've never used one in dual WAN mode. Given that you appear to be doing this already with the ADSL line and BT FTTC, I can't see why anything should be vastly different replacing the ADSL WAN connection with the PlusNet VDSL one. I guess you might want to tweak some settings for the change in throughput of the primary WAN perhaps...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Glyn

Thanks for taking the time to reply MisterW,

Surprised that there was no Engineer visit as there was with BT when fibre was installed on two lines in the past.

I have had notification today that both my phone and Broadband is now ready to go so I shall setup the 2860 and report back on what happens.

Wish me luck! Smiley

Thanks & kind regards,

-=Glyn=-