cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Modem+Router vs BT Infinity HomeHub

rigsby
Dabbler

PlusNet Modem+Router vs BT Infinity HomeHub

I'm back looking at a move to PlusNet Fibre and just assessing what would go where.  I was also looking at BT Infinity and noticed that for Infinity 1 they now seem to supply an all-in-one HomeHub 5 whereas PlusNet Fibre requires a separate modem and router. 
A single box (providing it worked well) would be a better option for me so I was wondering if there's any chance that PlusNet Fibre will go this way as I'm a bit short of power sockets. 
And on that subject, if I end up getting separate modem and router can these be plugged into reasonable quality (surge protected) extension sockets instead of directly into mains?
Thanks in advance...
10 REPLIES 10
Razorback
Grafter

Re: PlusNet Modem+Router vs BT Infinity HomeHub

I use a HomeHub4 and an Openreach modem both plugged into an extension socket and the solution works well. I believe others here use the HomeHub5 successfully.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I've used a HH4 & 5 successfully on fibre. With the 5 you don't need the modem. I currently use a TP-link TP-W9980 (again without the modem)
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi,
You are able to use the BT HH5 on Plusnet Fibre.
You will only need to enter your connection details (this is posted out when you join)
No hacking or unlocking is needed.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Also no issue plugging the routers in to an extension. It's only mains extenders that "have" to be plugged in to a main socket.
rigsby
Dabbler

Many thanks for the replies, all sounds good.
@HairyMcBiker, I think I'll take a look at the TP-link TP-W9980, are you happy with it?
Thanks again
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Overall very happy, as a router it just works. My issues are more Linux related than router related (lack of printer driver for the usb ports mainly).
Being dual band is handy as round here there are lots of people using 2.4GHz.
dwh33
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Would the homehub 5 work with a standard plusnet broadband connection ?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@dwh33, yes.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dwh33
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Many thanks.
For such an apparently 5 star router (&modem), there seems to be a glut of cheap, brand new ones for sale on ebay.
Must be better than the standard thompson box from plusnet.
jim:quote
mspritch

Yes, there are and yes, they are Smiley
I had a gutsful of poor wifi performance from my TG582n (even with decent antennae connected to the internal antenna sockets) and bought a HH5 from eBay. Excellent unit. I use mine on Plusnet ADSL, so does a friend (recommended by me) and another friend has one on Plusnet Fibre (again recommended by me).
jim:quote