cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Hub One, static IP bridge mode

vettrainos

PlusNet Hub One, static IP bridge mode

I have recently placed my order with PlusNet for Unlimited Fibre to replace my existing ADSL service. In order to work from home I need to utilise a service that provides static IP which PlusNet does. However, I have been unable to ascertain if the PlusNet Hub One will operate in Bridge Mode to permit my connected client device to be assigned the static IP (as I require). Does the PlusNet Hub One provide Bridge Mode operation or will I need to purchase an alternative VDSL modem such as a DrayTek Vigor 130?
40 REPLIES 40
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: PlusNet Hub One, static IP bridge mode

The Hub One is pretty much the same beast as BT HomeHub 5A, I don't think it can be configured as a bridge but this may be a suitable work-around: https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Configure-Home-Hub-5-as-modem-only/m-p/1438417#M...
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
vettrainos

Thanks for identifying the possible workaround, but... unfortunately that doesn't help. I need my client machine to be assigned the static IP assigned to my PlusNet account as a result of the security constraints that need to be applied by my workplace.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

It might be worth asking Plusnet if they could supply you with a BT OR modem (if they have any left), that should be pre-configured as a simple bridge.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
vettrainos

Thanks for the suggestion "w23", I'll have a look at progressing that route 🙂
vettrainos

PlusNet have identified that the Hub One is the only device they provide to connect Fibre customers to their service. As a result, any further direction on a best solution is welcomed.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

As far as I am aware we are now out of stock of the Openreach modem's which is most likely why one couldn't be sent to you, however these can be picked up fairly cheap online, otherwise any VDSL compatible modem/router that has the ability to assign the external IP to a device will work fine
TheSanctuary
Dabbler

Has anyone found a way of setting a Hub One to Bridge Mode?
Or do I have to get a better vdsl router/modem?
Edit: is it too late for me to cancel the Hub One as part of my order?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Just for info, we're using a TG589n in bridge mode in the office on a ZEN FTTC connection. It's linked to a Firewall box which does the PPPoE, and works fine.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TheSanctuary
Dabbler

Err, is a TG589n the same as a Hub One?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

No, the Hub One is a re-badged Home Hub 4.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Sorry to break forum rules, spesh on a mods quote, but the Hub One is a re-badged Home Hub 5. - I am sure it was a typo  Wink
dick:quote
Typo duly noted....it's a 5A.
TheSanctuary
Dabbler

Fair enough, so my question remains:
Has anyone found a way of setting a Hub One to Bridge Mode?
Or do I have to get a better vdsl router/modem?
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Unfortunately  this  cannot be done with the Hub One,  personally I use an Openreach(Huawei) Modem which allows my PfSense box to connect via PPPoE
I'd suggest getting a VDSL combined modem/router though as it'll mostly be plug and play with simple options for bridging the connection  Smiley
TheSanctuary
Dabbler

@Darkfire,
Thanks, that's fair enough, just wanted to know.
Is it too late for me to cancel that Hub One part of my order?