cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus one wifi dropouts

Msteiner

Plus one wifi dropouts

Just switched to fibre and installed new plus one router. Having major problems with wifi dropouts occurring regularly on numerous devices. Keep needing to go to settings and manually reconnect. Tried choosing channels but no help and cut range of the signal. Also renewed licences on devices but no help.
Making wifi unusable at times.
Any help please?
Mick S
9 REPLIES 9
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: Plus one wifi dropouts

Have you tried switching off the 'smart wi-fi' feature? You should then give each wi-fi network (2.4GHz and 5GHz) its own SSID.
Msteiner

Have tried specifying channel for both 2.5 and 5ghz and also switching off 5ghz. Still very unreliable.
pjohnkeane

I'm having the same issue. Seems (for us) to be a particular problem with mobile devices (iPhones for us).
I've split 2.4GHz and 5GHz into separate SSIDs -- I thought it was the 5GHz that was the problem -- but this hasn't resolved it: I get dropouts on either SSID.
Network strength is patchy around the house, so I thought maybe it was the devices deciding that their 4G connection was a better option than the poor wifi it was seeing (even though the wifi assist function is off on the phones), but the issue is also present where network strength is good - we even see the issue when right next to the router. (Patchy network coverage was also a motivation for splitting the SSIDs -- I wondered if it was the poorer range of the 5GHz that was the problem, but as above, doesn't seem to be the case.)
The problem does seem somewhat intermittent, but is persistent once it starts occurring (connect/disconnect/connect/disconnect on repeat).
I've also tried forgetting networks and resetting network settings on one of the iPhones that was seeing the problem.
My next step was going to be specifying the channels to use for each SSID, but looks like that might not be too promising!
Will keep this thread updated with my troubleshooting. Welcome any advice.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Not sure what the problem is. I use the HH5A (i.e. a Plusnet Hub One - same hardware). I use iphones, ipads, computers, sky box, netflix etc and the thing is rock steady. It sounds like you have done all the obvious things. Perhaps the only difference is that I choose wi-fi channels and don't let the hub decide (Channel 1 for 2.4GHz and channel 48 for 5GHz - although the actual channel numbers shouldn't matter).
It is the only thing I can think of to try. I assume everything works fine if you do a wired test?
pjohnkeane

Yeah I'm going to try specifying the channels as my next test (but looks like MSteiner may have already tried this).
Haven't done a wired test (you mean ethernet cable instead of wifi?), but given that the problem is on our iPhones, it's irrelevant...
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: pjohnkeane
Haven't done a wired test (you mean ethernet cable instead of wifi?), but given that the problem is on our iPhones, it's irrelevant...

Yes, I mean using an ethernet cable. Do you only get the issues on iphones/ipads etc? Do you have anything connected via wi-fi that works without issues?
pjohnkeane

I've only seen the problem on our iphones. Also have a laptop, ipad, and Apple TV all connecting wirelessly -- not seen any problems with them, but the iphones are by a distance the primary internet devices. So given that the problem is intermittent rather than continuous, I think it's just that we're more likely to see it on them because we're using them so much more.
It's more a mild annoyance than a serious issue for us, because it's not happening all the time. But it is annoying. That said, yesterday I set fixed channels for the two SSIDs and it does seem to have improved a bit the last couple of days, so fingers crossed.
Thanks for help/advice.
Msteiner

Sounds like you have the same issue. Main problem for us is with ipads. More reliable on laptops. Tried switching off 5GHz but made problem worse. Its a little better with specified channels for both 2.5 and 5GHz.
Haven't tried separate SSIDs for different frequencies but a possibility.
Might just get a new router......
Mick S
pjohnkeane

I switched to separate SSIDs and specified channels for each SSID, and we've hardly seen this issue since. I was on the verge of buying a new router, but have stopped short (for now!),